HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

LA fans' thoughts on Anson Carter

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2004, 04:28 PM
nyrcup94

vCash: 500
LA fans' thoughts on Anson Carter

I saw this on the LA Kings board and thought it was interesting that he continues to suck even out in LA. Enjoy!

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=63386

Old
03-19-2004, 04:38 PM
NYR2

Haha, all I needed to see was the title.

Damn, why didn't we trade Anson to LA for Aulin instead of to Washington? I don't even know why I just asked that question, this is the RANGERS lol.

Anyway, he's their headache now lol.

Old
03-19-2004, 04:43 PM
Edge

yeah but at least he is moveable.

I never thought Carter was exceptionally mentally tough. He always came off as a floater to me and his years in Edmonton hid that because he was playing with smyty and weight and comrie guys who play with a lot of energy.

Old
03-19-2004, 09:19 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
I thought he was an awesome player in Boston. He was high energy, skilled defensively, and I remember him single handedly knocking the Rangers out of the playoff race scoring two goals in a Boston come from behind win a few years back...

Old
03-19-2004, 10:01 PM
Edge

well he's not without talent. in fact when he entered the league there was a lot of interest in him. The problem has always been people expect more.

The boston game you mention is a perfect example of what he could/should do but he doesnt always play like that and ever since leaving Edmonton all he's done is pout and go "I'm just a laid back personality".

Old
03-19-2004, 10:23 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Here's a more telling comment, directly from Andy Murray on a local SoCal sports station this afternoon (was listening in my car). when asked about Carter he said (paraphrasing): Anson is a tremendous guy. But we have expectations here and he hasn't begun to meet them. He hasn't scored a goal in six games and he seems to have lost his game on the ice.

Ouch.

Last edited by Trottier: 03-20-2004 at 11:00 AM.
Old
03-19-2004, 10:45 PM
Laches

Yeah, I agree Edge. The tools are all there, but there's no passion or fire in his game, something we saw early in his career. I guess that's why he's on his fourth team in just over a year.

Old
03-20-2004, 04:14 PM
Edge

and that makes how many overall since being drafted by the nords?

7 teams.

Nords to Washington to Boston to Edmonton to NY back to Washington to LA

Old
03-20-2004, 04:19 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
and that makes how many overall since being drafted by the nords?

7 teams.

Nords to Washington to Boston to Edmonton to NY back to Washington to LA
I've always thought Carter was just a weird combination for a player. He's really no able to be categorized. He was continually mislabled as a potential power forward, which he's not. He's not that good of an offensive player (20 goals is a solid year from him) and doesn't see the ice particularly well. He's an above average skater, average puckhandler (has trouble in traffic). His shot is slightly above average. He's an average to slightly above average wing.

Old
03-20-2004, 04:25 PM
Edge

i think the problem was his display in college.

He played on some good teams. He was a kid with nice size {6'1, 190 at the time} he could skate fairly well and he can check {when he wants to}.

But as time as gone on, all the pieces just never fit together. His ability to see the ice and think out there is very limited and so it cancels out his skating and other attributes.

To an extent that is what worries be about Jessiman. The skills are all there but I just don't think he visualizes the ice exceptionally well and he seems to struggle with the thought process on the ice.

Closed Thread