HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanny is a 3rd Line Player

Old
10-12-2007, 05:17 AM
NYRJurgen88

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
ummmm but avery is a 3rd line player and not a 2nd line player
Avery's a great 3rd line player and a good 2nd line player...as im always up for optimising players talents, Avery should be on the 3rd with Prucha manning the 2nd LW spot.

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 02:44 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
I respect your opinion on this board, as you always bring up really good points.
With that being said, i cant agree here. i completely disagree.

Shanny's ALWAYS been a hot or not player, hes incredibley streaky. With respect to your point that we shouldn't give him ice time just because of his previous achievments, a point i agree with, i think that you need to give a guy with a skill set like shanny has; a chance, and one longer than 3 games. Its not because of his career goals that he gets ice time, its because of the skill that is still in his aging body. This man CAN still score. As a power forward, speed has never been one of his assets. Give shanny the respect of atleast a decent amount of games, no one can argue that he was born to put pucks in the net! Renney roles his lines. The 3rd line gets similar ice time to the 2nd line. Shanny is sure to score very little, and be not much of an asset playing with blair betts centering him. It would do us no good to put shanny there.

give it some time!
I agree with you about not making judgements after only 3 games. My concern is that since returning from his concussion last year he hasn't been the same player. It hasn't just been this season. It really showed itself in the Buffalo series in my opinion. Renneys continued stubborness to play him on the PK isn't helping matters either. I was hoping that experiment would end starting this year but it hasn't. I always thought Cally would make a pretty solid PK'er because he has a genuine disregard for his body in order to block shots and he has the speed to pressure the point man.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Captain Monglobster

This topic is in the same group as the 'Why the hell is Betts the third line C', and 'Why the hell is Dave Scatchard anywhere near a Rangers roster spot', along with 'Marcel on the first line again? Wasn't he a scratch yesterday?'. You can throw in 'What the hell does Prucha have to do to become a go to player on this team?', and maybe a 'Jason ****ing Strudwick over Paul Mara? Seriously?!'.

It's called "Renney magic". He replaces logic with his own brew of magic, and eventually we'll all be the fools when these seemingly insane moves pan out in the end.

Or

Lundqvist or Jagr get hurt and his coaching brings this team back to the NY Rangers customary position of 9-12 place in the East.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Jay88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I agree with you about not making judgements after only 3 games. My concern is that since returning from his concussion last year he hasn't been the same player. It hasn't just been this season. It really showed itself in the Buffalo series in my opinion. Renneys continued stubborness to play him on the PK isn't helping matters either. I was hoping that experiment would end starting this year but it hasn't. I always thought Cally would make a pretty solid PK'er because he has a genuine disregard for his body in order to block shots and he has the speed to pressure the point man.
You are definitly right about that,with Shanny and another question i really have is why the **** is Malik on the power play, and what is Renney's obssession with this man?

Dont want to gte off topic though.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 04:06 PM
WheresBarnaby

Asinine!

There's no way he's a third line guy. No way. He may not be playing as a all star yet(which he was last year BTW), but he will find himself along with the rest of the team. You don't put one of your team leaders in the bottom two lines, unless he's Yashin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw
Renneys continued stubborness to play him on the PK isn't helping matters either.
He's got one of the best one timers in hockey. He's made for the PP

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 04:09 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
My lineup:
Hossa-Drury-Jagr
Straka-Gomez-Prucha
Avery-Betts-Callahan
Shanahan-Dubinsky-Orr
Staal-Rozsival
Tyutin-Girardi
Malik-Mara

PP1
Shanahan-Gomez-Jagr
Drury-Rozsival
Hollweg instead of Orr and that would be mine as well.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
Avery's a great 3rd line player and a good 2nd line player...as im always up for optimising players talents, Avery should be on the 3rd with Prucha manning the 2nd LW spot.
he is a great 3rd liner, and a ok 2nd liner imo...not enough offensive skills to be considered a good one

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
There's no way he's a third line guy. No way. He may not be playing as a all star yet(which he was last year BTW), but he will find himself along with the rest of the team. You don't put one of your team leaders in the bottom two lines, unless he's Yashin.
Tampa had their captain, and one of the top scorers, on the 4th when they won the Cup, Dave Andrechuk -- who have more PP goals then Mario, the Great one and everyone else.

The thing is, I don't dissagree with you that Shanny probably will play great hockey against this season.

What I do doubt, is that Shanny will be able to play great hockey when it counts. Thats why I would want to see him in a smaller role. Right now, I don't think it makes much sense to play Prucha 10 minutes and Shanny 20+ minutes.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 02:33 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post

He's got one of the best one timers in hockey. He's made for the PP

Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw
Renneys continued stubborness to play him on the PK isn't helping matters either.

I think you may have misread my post, I was questioning Renneys usage of him on the PK (penalty kill) not the PP. As Ola mentioned above there is no insult in putting a prominent player on the 3rd line towards the end of their career especially if it helps the team, which it did for Tampa.

Old
10-13-2007, 02:35 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Shanahan has been brutal this season early on. I really hope he wakes up. If he's playing this bad now, i can't imagine how he will be playing as the season goes on and he gets tired.

Callahan and him should switch spots.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 02:40 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Shanahan has been brutal this season early on. I really hope he wakes up. If he's playing this bad now, i can't imagine how he will be playing as the season goes on and he gets tired.

Callahan and him should switch spots.
In the 1st period yesterday Gomez fed Shanny a perfect pass in the slot and he missed the net by 7 feet. I yelled out " come on Shanny your better than that". My wife started laughing in the other room.

Old
10-13-2007, 04:43 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Or his maddening continuation of playing him 20+ minutes per night. Detroit used him for 16 minutes and no PK time. Apparently, two years latter, playing him for four more minutes per night is a hidden stroke of genius.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 04:58 PM
GarretJoseph*

I think shanny just looks old out there beside the super fast gomez... perhaps Shanyn should be switched to someone elses wing...

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 05:00 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
In the 1st period yesterday Gomez fed Shanny a perfect pass in the slot and he missed the net by 7 feet. I yelled out " come on Shanny your better than that". My wife started laughing in the other room.
Was she laughing with you or at you?

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Edge

It's all so clear now.

Funny, I thought our last two defeats were do to falling asleep late in a period and letting The Sens give us the Reggie Miller treatment.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 11:54 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
Just wanted to bump this after seeing that Shanny had 13 SOGs last night....were those legitimate or were 12 of them just rollers in on the goalie? Either way, his shooting percentage is not looking too stellar!

Always loved Shanny, would hate to see him struggling down on the 3rd line....

Obi Wan LaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 12:50 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Was she laughing with you or at you?
At me of course

She finds my over zealous mood while watching the ranger very amusing.

Old
10-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Shanny has been pretty brutal one timer after one time not being finished when last year he would have buried them. Then again alot of guys aren't doing much so it's hard to point the finger. But i'm not against Shanny and Avery on the 3rd with Prucha and Callahan on the 2nd. The way Prucha and Cally have been playing it would be good to see them getting rewarded.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 02:53 PM
azrok22

Shanny was a third line player at practice today, and I think these lines deserve a chance. Most importantly, playing Shanny with Dubinsky, and Drury with Cally and Prucha SHOULD lead to a more even distribution between our top 3 lines (ie: Cally and Prucha get more ice time). I like that it was at least tried in practice, hopefully it gets given a shot against ATL.

From Sam (http://www.lohud.com/blogs/rangers.html)
:
Quote:
Hossa (Strudwick)-Gomez-Jagr

Prucha-Drury-Callahan

Straka-Dubinsky (Dave Scatchard today)-Shanahan

Hollweg-Betts-Orr

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 02:57 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Hossa (Strudwick)-Gomez-Jagr

Prucha-Drury-Callahan

Straka-Dubinsky (Dave Scatchard today)-Shanahan

Hollweg-Betts-Orr
Lines look good to me.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 03:10 PM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Shanny was a third line player at practice today, and I think these lines deserve a chance. Most importantly, playing Shanny with Dubinsky, and Drury with Cally and Prucha SHOULD lead to a more even distribution between our top 3 lines (ie: Cally and Prucha get more ice time). I like that it was at least tried in practice, hopefully it gets given a shot against ATL.

From Sam (http://www.lohud.com/blogs/rangers.html)
:
I think Gomez and Drury should be flipped (although any changes would be good...)

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 03:14 PM
azrok22

Quote:
I think Gomez and Drury should be flipped (although any changes would be good...)
If Jagr-Drury was working to any success at this point I would agree, as intuitively I saw that as being the better pair (despite being less similar to Jagr-Nylander). Unfortunately, I just don't think Jagr-Drury has been effective and Jagr-Gomez needs to be given a chance again.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Fletch

Not sure what this means:

"that a future Hall of Famer like Shanahan could be playing not with one of the team's $7 million centers, but a rookie like Dubinsky." Don't they remember Messier, then a future hall of famer, playing with John Tripp and Jamie Lundmark? Gotta do what's best for the team. Dubi's been getting involved in the play and could benefit working with a couple different wingers. Cally and Prucha have been trying hard, but can't seem to finish the play. Playing with Drury may help that (although there's still the issue of Prucha and Cally playing together, which doesn't work for me, and I think a body like Hossa's should be on Cally's wing, not Prucha).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Kostik

My biggest concern regarding Shanny is that he is playing on PK - yeah and thats Renney's fault.
I'm afraid that Shanny will be out of gas soon.
How can 39 year old sniper play on PK is beyond me

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

5 million dollars a year for a 3rd line player?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote