HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Shanny is a 3rd Line Player

Old
10-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
My biggest concern regarding Shanny is that he is playing on PK - yeah and thats Renney's fault.
I'm afraid that Shanny will be out of gas soon.
How can 39 year old sniper play on PK is beyond me
out of gas soon?

he's out of gas stations at his age....please retire shanny...please retire...your an embarassment on the ice...

But SoS he's shanny he deserves the money for willing the Rangers to that ONE playoff round vicory last year...lol

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 02:39 PM
94now

My biggest concern related to Brendan Shanahan is the Brendon Dubinski health status after the concussion he's got Sat.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 03:04 PM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
5 million dollars a year for a 3rd line player?
Straight up, it's starting to annoy me when players get tagged as an 'overpayed X Lined player'... If I changed the most recently changed lineup to this...

Hossa (Strudwick)-Gomez-Jagr

Straka-Dubinsky (Dave Scatchard today)-Shanahan

Prucha-Drury-Callahan

Hollweg-Betts-Orr

Then people would be complaining about an overpayed 3rd Line Center (I can understand if it refers to someone on 4th line, consistently scratched or in the minors)... Bottom line, it's all about balance. If those lines are scoring and keeping the puck out of our net, I'm happy...

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
Straight up, it's starting to annoy me when players get tagged as an 'overpayed X Lined player'... If I changed the most recently changed lineup to this...

Hossa (Strudwick)-Gomez-Jagr

Straka-Dubinsky (Dave Scatchard today)-Shanahan

Prucha-Drury-Callahan

Hollweg-Betts-Orr

Then people would be complaining about an overpayed 3rd Line Center (I can understand if it refers to someone on 4th line, consistently scratched or in the minors)... Bottom line, it's all about balance. If those lines are scoring and keeping the puck out of our net, I'm happy...
i dont' care what annoys you....my response was sarcastic since i'm the guy who got ripped in the summer for putting drury on the third line...i agree what a guy makes doesn't matter to where he fits in the lineup..i just find it funny that the same people that used drurys salary as a reason why he couldn't play on the 3rd line (heck somebody said drury made too much money to kill penalties) are the same people fine with shanny playing on the 3rd line....

Old
10-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Nich

i really like the new alignment of the 3 lines....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 07:20 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Shanny was a third line player at practice today, and I think these lines deserve a chance. Most importantly, playing Shanny with Dubinsky, and Drury with Cally and PruchaSHOULD lead to a more even distribution between our top 3 lines (ie: Cally and Prucha get more ice time). I like that it was at least tried in practice, hopefully it gets given a shot against ATL.

From Sam (http://www.lohud.com/blogs/rangers.html)
:

Renney must have read this thread. This one is free Tom, next time I am charging a consulting fee.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Renney must have read this thread. This one is free Tom, next time I am charging a consulting fee.
If he is reading he should take some advice and burn this thing he calls a suit jacket:

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 08:37 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
I don't think Shanahan on the 3rd line solves anything.

I think Gomez is far too fast to play with Shanahan. Shanahan looks slow because he's playing with Gomez who is far too fast to be on that line. Gomez likes to go end to end with the puck, and Shanahan is not the kind of winger that benefits from having that kind of center. Gomez should be playing with Straka and Jagr, two guys who can motor up the ice. Jagr needs to start skating, and the double coverage will dissipate when Gomez is put on that line. Renney needs to take his head out of his ass and realize what he's doing.
The thing about Jagr and Straka is they don't like to motor up the ice - they're lateral, puck possession players that would just as soon go east to west.

Maybe you argue that Straka or Prucha should play on that top line, with Dawes filling in else where. I'm not opposed to that so long as defense isn't thrown to the wind.

Gomez can use his speed to penetrate the zone quickly and in doing so he forces the defensive team off the blueline. Shanahan is a fit on his wing, because he's often the third forward into the zone (and subsequently uncovered) looking for a one-timer. I've seen in at least 10 times in the last 5 games and it's going to start to pay dividends once they get their timing down.

I like Drury on the Jagr line because I feel he's capable of playing a patient game. He'll put up with the Jagr/Straka dilly-dallying and get himself in a position to shoot (or just plain plant himself in front like he did against Florida).

Although, I'll give the threadstarter credit: a Prucha Drury Callahan line is certainly intriguing; as is Dubinsky in the middle of a Avery/Shanahan flank.

Renney has completely mismanaged this team to this point.

Quote:
What's Hossa doing on the top line? What the hell has Hossa ever done to warrant top-line minutes? Will Renney get it through his thick skull that he is not his brother, or will ever be even a shell of what Marian is? First, Dawes outplays Hossa in camp. Then when Avery gets injured, Hossa gets called right up to the top-line? I don't care if he's a tweener that fits nowhere else... WHERE THE HELL IS THE ACCOUNTABILITY THAT THIS MORON HAS BEEN PREACHING? That's a ****** precedent to set.
I disagree with much of this. I'm not a Hossa defender, but I believe he's over-maligned on this forum. At any rate, I'd like to answer your question - what has he done to deserve his spot on the number one line. Hossa has produced - simply put. He's got two points in his last two games with that line and played incredibly well with that line coming down the stretch last season. Dawes had his chance during the pre-season and wasn't able to play with Jagr.

Also, consider the defensive implications of Dawes on that top line...

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2007, 09:08 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
The thing about Jagr and Straka is they don't like to motor up the ice - they're lateral, puck possession players that would just as soon go east to west.

Maybe you argue that Straka or Prucha should play on that top line, with Dawes filling in else where. I'm not opposed to that so long as defense isn't thrown to the wind.

Gomez can use his speed to penetrate the zone quickly and in doing so he forces the defensive team off the blueline. Shanahan is a fit on his wing, because he's often the third forward into the zone (and subsequently uncovered) looking for a one-timer. I've seen in at least 10 times in the last 5 games and it's going to start to pay dividends once they get their timing down.

I like Drury on the Jagr line because I feel he's capable of playing a patient game. He'll put up with the Jagr/Straka dilly-dallying and get himself in a position to shoot (or just plain plant himself in front like he did against Florida).
You're only taking into consideration how that unit works for like 4 seconds after they won the puck.

Gomez flys through the neutral zone and into the attacking zone, where he got one good option in Shanny, I agree. But what happends if the other team can cover Shanny? What options would Gomez have then? You can count on that beeing the case 19 out 20 times.

Shanny shys away from the boards. Avery is not especially good at protecting the puck.

I agree 100% with your assesment of Jagr and Gomez though. But Jagr's big strength is still deep in the attacking zone, Jagrs offense that comes directly from him gooing east-west in the neutralzone is pretty marginal, like 90% of his pts probably comes from his work downlow.

The results of the mismatch between Gomez and JJ that you brought up, resulted in JJ looking uncomfortable with Gomez. They have now been given time off from each other, and I think for JJ, Gomez would be a huge upgrade over Drury who only brought JJ down, more so in fact then Brad Isbister ever did. You can wonder if Drury during his 5 games with JJ even made one good pass, or one good raid with the puck, or one good back check, or one forecheck. JJ will need to adjust to Gomez some; and as they build chemistry they will also be able to overcome some of their diffrences and become more verstaile. I think JJ is much more prepaired to adjust to Gomez now then he was early in the season, and I think we will see that against the Thrasers.

The problem is, what do you do with Drury? I defenitly think its worth a shot to try him with Prucha and Callahan. I still think Shanahan biggest use is on the PP. Then he can be moved up late in games 5 on 5 if he is hot. I don't belive in playing him allot all the time for 82 regular season games and possibly a following PO's. I also don't think he is a perfect fit with Drury, if Drury plays with Shanny, I also think the player in the org who we got who are the best fit with thoose two would be Avery. With Drury and Shanny on the same line you won't get a puck possesion game; they need to have someone that creates a havoc. Straka would be a decent fit and provide some puckposseion, but I think a line of Straka-Drury-Shanny in the end got limited potential, we will need more down the line...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Fletch

Jagr's problems seem to go beyond...

his centerman. Opponents seem to also be pulling a 'New Jerey' on him, which is to mean they're not giving him much space out there and he likes to carry the puck a lot. He seems himself at times, but not often enough. Haven't seen enough of him taking over games as we've become accustomed.

The lines Renney are constructing are interesting. I'm still not a fan of seeing Prucha and Cally together - just not enough gets done with those two out there together - no sustained attack at all.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
his centerman. Opponents seem to also be pulling a 'New Jerey' on him, which is to mean they're not giving him much space out there and he likes to carry the puck a lot. He seems himself at times, but not often enough. Haven't seen enough of him taking over games as we've become accustomed.

The lines Renney are constructing are interesting. I'm still not a fan of seeing Prucha and Cally together - just not enough gets done with those two out there together - no sustained attack at all.
Maybe you are underrating what his center provided him with in the past?

Nyls created allot of open ice for Jagr. How many times so far this season have you see Drury go deep in his end and take the puck up the neutral zone and skate around two forecheckers and draw the attention from one more before passing to JJ? None.

The Jagr we see now look very much like the Jagr we saw several times without Nyls as his center. Like when he played with Prucha-Straka.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2007, 11:41 AM
Nich

thats why i think gomez is a better player for him ola....he has the ability to do what nylander did, but just really hasn'/t done it consistently yet.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Fletch

Started to see it last season, ola...

the crowding of Jagr seemed to begin in earnest last season, especially against the Devils, but extended to other teams.

Old
10-16-2007, 11:48 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
the crowding of Jagr seemed to begin in earnest last season, especially against the Devils, but extended to other teams.
Which is why we really need the second line (whoever is on it) to step up big time. If people are going to double- and triple-team Jagr, we need some other players out there that can bury the puck. If that starts to happen, it'll open up more space for Jagr.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2007, 12:48 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Shanny was a third line player at practice today, and I think these lines deserve a chance. Most importantly, playing Shanny with Dubinsky, and Drury with Cally and Prucha SHOULD lead to a more even distribution between our top 3 lines (ie: Cally and Prucha get more ice time). I like that it was at least tried in practice, hopefully it gets given a shot against ATL.

From Sam (http://www.lohud.com/blogs/rangers.html)
:
Well that didnt last long,

Lines today:

Dubinsky back on the 4th line with Hollweg and Orr
Betts on a line with Straka and Shanahan (terrible)
Struckwick still with Jagr and Gomez (give me a break Renney).
Prucha Drury Callahan (finally a good line combo)

http://www.lohud.com/blogs/rangers.html

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Fletch

With Avery out...

there's an open roster spot - would it have hurt much to call-up Dawes to at least sit in Hossa's spot, instead of Strudwick?

Old
10-16-2007, 12:56 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Well that didnt last long,

Lines today:

Dubinsky back on the 4th line with Hollweg and Orr
Betts on a line with Straka and Shanahan (terrible)
Struckwick still with Jagr and Gomez (give me a break Renney).
Prucha Drury Callahan (finally a good line combo)

http://www.lohud.com/blogs/rangers.html
I am looking forward to seeing how this line plays together.

Old
10-16-2007, 01:01 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
there's an open roster spot - would it have hurt much to call-up Dawes to at least sit in Hossa's spot, instead of Strudwick?
Agreed. Not sure what is going on there. Dawes seems like the logical solution in this case

Old
10-16-2007, 01:05 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Agreed. Not sure what is going on there. Dawes seems like the logical solution in this case
Dude, how dare you question the logic of Renney and Sather? We're only fans, we don't know the players like they do. The coach obviously knows best...

Sorry, unnecessary for me to go that route again, but it still leaves me dumbfounded that people continue to criticize posters for questioning the FO's logic.

Old
10-16-2007, 01:11 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Dude, how dare you question the logic of Renney and Sather? We're only fans, we don't know the players like they do. The coach obviously knows best...

Sorry, unnecessary for me to go that route again, but it still leaves me dumbfounded that people continue to criticize posters for questioning the FO's logic.

Agreed, that runs a close 2nd to " ITS ONLY 3 GAMES !!!!!!! DON'T PANIC" as the most overused statement on this board so far this year. I am interested to see when we are allowed to talk about the coachs decisions and the team without hearing that, perhaps after 40 games.

Old
10-16-2007, 01:43 PM
Jay88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
i dont' care what annoys you....
your just to tough for this board man, to tough. Im shaking while I type.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2007, 01:49 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay88 View Post
You need to match him by ending every sentence with an elipsis. It adds a mysteriousness and "look at me, I'm intentionally omitting things" flavor to your posts.

Old
10-16-2007, 02:04 PM
SaveByLundqvist

i would just really love to see these lines

hossa - straka - jagr
callahan - gomez - prucha
avery - drury - shanny
hollywood - betts - cobra colton

lurch - rozy
tyuts - the fuzz
staal/pock - mara/struds

for some reason i think this would work out.. dubinsky would be sent back to hartford to develop more

SaveByLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay88 View Post
Again..i don't care who you are or how you feel...

I'm responding to sombody that just a day ago couldn't understand a sarcastic post and thought the best response to that thread was "your retarded"

i'm not to worried about how you feel or how you take what i post.

Old
10-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
You need to match him by ending every sentence with an elipsis. It adds a mysteriousness and "look at me, I'm intentionally omitting things" flavor to your posts.

who are you again?