HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All-Time Draft #8, Part III

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2007, 03:11 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
I think it's dangerous to have your preferences known in a draft like this. Knowing the players you like can be the impetus for opposing GMs to trade ahead of you to get a guy they also like. Nalyd and I, for example, nearly moved up in the 6th to take Firsov. It can also make them decide not to wait until the next round to take a guy if you're picking right after them.

I try as hard as I can to evaluate players without bias (and I know Nalyd does, as well - perhaps that's why there are no Canucks, Islanders or Sharks on this team), but every GM has a thing for certain players. Nalyd can tell you that I was praising Andy Bathgate like I was his mom in the lead-up to this draft and had to swallow hard when we traded out of the late 2nd/early 3rd, because we were going from a pick where I was sure we could get Bathgate to one where matters were much more uncertain. It seemed like the best thing to do from a value standpoint, though.

Oh, a couple more things:

- was Hooley Smith a left wing? I always thought he was a right wing who maybe played a little center every now and then. HO (whose knowledge I greatly respect) has him slotted on the left wing.

- I like Wisent's first line a lot more than whomever said that Dubai may end up with "three checking lines". It looks like a strong 2-way unit to me.

Old
10-17-2007, 03:37 AM
Frightened Inmate #2

Calgary RCAF Mustangs select Carol Vadnais

Old
10-17-2007, 04:00 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
2) King Clancy, over Dit Clapper, Sprague Cleghorn and Earl Seibert. Show how dominant he was and the respect hockey analyst gave him. However, the fact that he was in the scenery of the NHL after his career, and for a long time, maybe gave him an avantage.
The thing about Clancy is, on a talent and effectiveness level, he is probably top 10 all time. But, in an all-time draft, it's really hard to ignore that he's 5'7 155. So he slips about a round lower than his talent would have him drafted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent View Post
I completely agree, but since all lists are gone, there is a very good chance that the player you want at 500 is still available at 560.
Or not, that's what makes it so nerve racking, any player you want may or may not slip any given amount.

10-17-2007, 04:14 AM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
ok anyone have GBC's pick or is he still here?

Old
10-17-2007, 04:29 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
select mike vernon

Old
10-17-2007, 04:32 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Outsider View Post
I'll take C Troy Murray. The Selke-trophy winner was one of the best penalty-killers during the 1980s. He was a good positional player but also had a bit of a mean streak. Murray was quite versatile and, in addition to regular PK duty, would sometimes see time on the PP. While his 45-goal, 99-point season was a bit of an aberration, he was usually good for 50-70 pts.

"Troy Murray was the type of player every coach wishes for in his lineup. Murray, as a player, could bruise opponents from defense or burn a team on offense. He thought nothing of killing penalties or rushing on the power play. The only thing he didn't do was play goal."

Same deal tomorrow, guys. If we get to my pick, just skip me and I'll pick whenever I'm online.
i almost took him

good pick!

Old
10-17-2007, 05:02 AM
Wisent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
The thing about Clancy is, on a talent and effectiveness level, he is probably top 10 all time. But, in an all-time draft, it's really hard to ignore that he's 5'7 155. So he slips about a round lower than his talent would have him drafted.

Or not, that's what makes it so nerve racking, any player you want may or may not slip any given amount.
Yeah, true. But I like to take chances.

Old
10-17-2007, 05:12 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent View Post
Yeah, true. But I like to take chances.
You have to. All you can do is determine who you want most and taken them next.

Old
10-17-2007, 05:18 AM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
OK I do have to go to bed now, can any of you take a list?

Old
10-17-2007, 07:14 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post

- I like Wisent's first line a lot more than whomever said that Dubai may end up with "three checking lines". It looks like a strong 2-way unit to me.
It wasn't about the 1st line... Don't worry -- I'm probably the biggest non-Wisent Mikhailov fan over here. My comment was about line 2,3 and 4. Three checking lines was a bit "stretching" it, but indeed, this looks like a forward squad more inclined on two-way play than anything else.

Old
10-17-2007, 07:17 AM
BM67

This is the end. The end of this thread my friends.

Old
10-17-2007, 07:18 AM
Rick Middleton

Send a message via AIM to Rick Middleton
Could I put forward a motion to further reduce the time period to 6 hours per selection? This has gone beyond tedious. There are enough people on this board at all times during the day that with picks being forwarded to the next GM we should be able to rattle off a round per day. The 8 hour delays between selections are driving me to drink.