HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Molding composite stick blades

Old
10-17-2007, 09:58 AM
bobomironov

vCash: 500
Molding composite stick blades

I was just given a Easton Synergy Elite Grip with a Forsberg blade pattern. I like a little more curve. What are my options? Never had a composite blade before. Can I mold it? Will it substantially weaken the blade? How do I go about doing it? I have a pretty good heat gun but no blowtorch. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

bobomironov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2007, 10:31 AM
sw2001

I have an RBK stick that I was looking to change the curve on a bit too, but I was told by several hockey shops that you cannot heat up a composite blade and add or remove any curve. They said that it is what it is. I have not tried it yet, but just wanted to pass that info along. They may have just told me that so that if I did heat it up and then it broke I wouldn't be able to blame them for it...this definately would void your warranty too. I too was hoping to find someone on this forum that has done it and see what they have to say.

sw2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2007, 10:47 AM
XweekendwarriorX

Well if you have it under the factory warranty and find you heated up the stick than it wont able to be returned i think it even says it on the shaft. and idk about the curve of the stick but i know all the pros heat up and mess around with there lies on there sticks i actually have a picture in my room of derek roy showing me how he heats up his sticks befroe games.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2007, 11:24 AM
sw2001

Yes, it does say right on the stick that it will void the warranty. What is Derek Roy using to heat up his blade in the picture that you have? I was thinking of trying a hair dryer or maybe a heat gun, but the heat gun gets really hot. Does he heat it up and then bend it and then put it in cold water or does he just let it cool down on its own?

sw2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Nosebleed Section

never done/thought about this but putting it in cold water would make it really weak me thinks.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Don't do it... that really only works for wood I think.

what I did was just go out and buy a new one...

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 10:58 AM
sc37

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw2001 View Post
Yes, it does say right on the stick that it will void the warranty. What is Derek Roy using to heat up his blade in the picture that you have? I was thinking of trying a hair dryer or maybe a heat gun, but the heat gun gets really hot. Does he heat it up and then bend it and then put it in cold water or does he just let it cool down on its own?
Roy is actually torching the paint he sprayed on I do believe. Heating it up and wahtever does void your warranty and will probably cause it to break...pros can do it just cause they don't really care......get all sorts of sticks, etc.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Crosbyfan

The resins used are thermosets, crosslinking of the polymers is pretty much permanent until it breaks down unlike thermoplastics (most road hockey sticks) which can be heated and changed in shape. (though this often weakens or embrittles them as well)

Mild heat with clamping pressure may affect a slight change in curvature without much loss of strength but otherwise it's pretty much fixed.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Greeneye

It's not going to work...I'm sure you can bend it but once you do it will lose it's structural integrity and be virtually useless.

Greeneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Ducks

all this being said the Forsberg is a good curve and it's one of the most popular ones as well. Maybe you should just use it seeing as it's a pretty nice stick.

either that or pack it up and ship it to me

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 05:45 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

dont do it, your blade will break within 30mins.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote