HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is the deal with Habs fans on Higgins?

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2007, 08:48 PM
MTL-rules

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
On the Habs, he is a star. Easily. I would take him first before any other forward on the team.
Well, if you see it this way I agree with you... but it's sad, very sad that "on the Habs" is considered a star...

But, we can all agree that he's still nowhere near Statsny, Malkin, Kopitar, Spezza, Kovalchuk... who are stars...

Old
10-17-2007, 08:51 PM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreiMMermlik View Post
Don't know if I'm going to make friends with this, but I feel like expressing my opinion.

Am I the only one here who don't see Higgins as the 8th wonder of the world? I mean, here are some facts about him so far :

He played a complete year on the first line of the team and only managed to score 22 goals and get 38 point. He gets big minutes on the PP, but I really can't see how this guy is labelled as a future star if he's not able to produce with one of the good center in the NHL.

Habs fan label him as the future captain/face of the franchise, but I can't see where he has such an outstanding leadership. Never stays to talk to the medias... or almost never. Plus, when the Habs are going towards a bad streak, all he does is bash the other players' game and especially blame Kovalev. I'd much rather see Komisarek as our next captain.

This is not a bashing thread. For all what I care... but I would like to see him used more efficiently. He's great on the forecheck, protects the puck well... but :

He doesn't have much of a big hockey sense.
He is not an outstanding passer.
He is not the best goal scorer.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't know. I can't see this player fetch much more than 50 pts in a season. you can't learn hockey sense. You have it or you don't. Even Latendresse produced when matched with Saku last year.

Add me to your ignore list if you want, delete my thread... lynch me... I really don't want to offense anybody. But in my opinion some fans are expecting too much from a VERY normal player.
+1

Old
10-17-2007, 08:55 PM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
we can all agree that he's still nowhere near Statsny, Malkin, Kopitar, Spezza, Kovalchuk... who are stars...
Stastny - plays under Sakic, that must be nice
Malkin - plays under Crosby, that must be cool
Kopitar - plays above/under Cammalleri and Frolov, that must be reassuring
Spezza - plays with Heatley and Alfredsson, that must be alright
Kovalchuk - plays above/under Hossa, that must be soothing

There's no telling where Higgins might be if he were surrounded by exceptional talent.

Old
10-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Well, if you see it this way I agree with you... but it's sad, very sad that "on the Habs" is considered a star...

But, we can all agree that he's still nowhere near Statsny, Malkin, Kopitar, Spezza, Kovalchuk... who are stars...
As of now he's not a star along the likes of the guys you mentioned.

Is he our best forward? many would say YES
does he have the potential to be a star in this league? again many would say yes
Is he a "VERY ordinary player"? Am i overrating Higgins when I say that this statement is ridiculous?

Old
10-17-2007, 08:59 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I actually expected to see something like this, it's only a matter of time around here. Everyone on this team not named Markov gets bashed. Koivu is bashed all the time and we can rarely have threads about him that don't go downhill. Kovalev is hated, Ryder is often a bum unless he just had a good game, Carbo is stupid unless we win, Gainey doesn't do anything, Souray stunk when he was here unless he won the game, Brisebois will kick your dog across the room, Bouillon and Dandenault couldn't cut in the ECHL, Murray is the cause of all that is wrong in the world, I could go on and on. Now Higgins is overrated.

Well guess what our team isn't that good and they are going to win games, they are going to lose games, guys will play good, at other times they will play bad. Higgins is easily one of our top players and easily one of the hardest working players. He's getting his chances but the puck will go in for him, bank on it.

Old
10-17-2007, 09:01 PM
zurg999

If this team had 3 sets of wingers like Higgins + the goaltending and defense we already have, we'd be a perennial contender.

Old
10-17-2007, 09:01 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Stastny - plays under Sakic, that must be nice
Malkin - plays under Crosby, that must be cool
Kopitar - plays above/under Cammalleri and Frolov, that must be reassuring
Spezza - plays with Heatley and Alfredsson, that must be alright
Kovalchuk - plays above/under Hossa, that must be soothing

There's no telling where Higgins might be if he were surrounded by exceptional talent.
You all said it while Higgins PLAYS with Koivu, all of the here for mention (sp ?) players exept Spezza aren't playing with better players than them... they are the line...

And please, I doubted that any of these guys had more scoring chances than Higgins... but they're just better finishers aka stars...

Old
10-17-2007, 09:02 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I actually expected to see something like this, it's only a matter of time around here. Everyone on this team not named Markov gets bashed. Koivu is bashed all the time and we can rarely have threads about him that don't go downhill. Kovalev is hated, Ryder is often a bum unless he just had a good game, Carbo is stupid unless we win, Gainey doesn't do anything, Souray stunk when he was here unless he won the game, Brisebois will kick your dog across the room, Bouillon and Dandenault couldn't cut in the ECHL, Murray is the cause of all that is wrong in the world, I could go on and on. Now Higgins is overrated.

Well guess what our team isn't that good and they are going to win games, they are going to lose games, guys will play good, at other times they will play bad. Higgins is easily one of our top players and easily one of the hardest working players. He's getting his chances but the puck will go in for him, bank on it.
It's sad though, some people bashed Markov and questioned his defense after the mistake in Toronto...

Old
10-17-2007, 09:06 PM
brownman*

Quote:
You all said it while Higgins PLAYS with Koivu, all of the here for mention (sp ?) players exept Spezza aren't playing with better players than them... they are the line...

And please, I doubted that any of these guys had more scoring chances than Higgins... but they're just better finishers aka stars...
You're not really getting it though, after Koivu and Higgins, there's nothing until Kovalev puts forth the pure effort we know he's capable of. Having superstars playing on another line opens up so much more opportunity.

Also, just because Higgins had problems finishing during the second half last year (with a broken clavicle) or the first 5 games this year does not mean he lacks finish. Let's give him some time.

Old
10-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Nobak

I like watching Higgins play.

It's all it boils down to.

Old
10-17-2007, 10:01 PM
centrehice

Quote:
Sorry, I did an inattention mistake.

Before his injury, he was. the key word here is was. But what happenned then?

Superstar players make the difference and can win games almost alone.

Ryder scored 62 points in his first season. Nobody never labelled him a star.
Is English not your first language?

Old
10-17-2007, 10:23 PM
znk

nuts.

Old
10-17-2007, 10:36 PM
muzion

I put the poster on my ignore list because of another post of his, now after reading what he had to say I feel content with my decision.

Funny how I don't feel the urge to do this on other boards.

Old
10-17-2007, 11:30 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
Im speechless

Higgins singled out one of his teamates? thats news to me.
Higgins doesnt stick around to talk to the media? He's always on tv or on team 990.
Id love to see someone here try to play in the NHL with the pain of an injured shoulder.

absolutly insane post

Old
10-17-2007, 11:43 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
I'm not stating that Higgins is a poor player.

He is fast, competes well, he forechecks well... he sure is a good player, but nothing SUCH exciting. He's a good forechecker responsible defensively, but when you're on the first line, you must produce. He's not a first line player. If he's a star in the making, so why is Saku constantly labelled as a second line center on this board?
Because you're not the only fool on this forum. Anyone with a computer can join the board. Unfortunately you drag down the level of discourse more than most.

Old
10-17-2007, 11:57 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

ok.

I've said nothing.

Higgins is a superstar in the making. He doesn't score goals, he always shoots either right on the goalie OR 10 feets beside the net, but it's ok, because he is fun to watch.

His best season was a 38 points season, but he really is a star in the making and he'll fetch 40 goals... even if hasn't even had 40 POINTS in the season.

He plays big PP minutes, and big 5 on 5 minutes with arguably our best player, but can't find a way to put the puck top-net. Wellwood is crap, Tanguay is crap, everybody is crap, and I would NEVER trade Higgins... except if Crosby and Malkin are offered in a package.

The guy misses open nets, isn't much of a game breaker, can't make great passes, but it's fine... because he's Chris Higgins and he's a superstar in the making. 40 goals and 40 assists isn't out of the question... but we might have to wait another season, because his injury will bother him until February 2008.

This was my last post on this thread.

Old
10-17-2007, 11:59 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by centrehice View Post
Is English not your first language?
hmmm... no it's not... I have other things to do than post on message boards.

Old
10-18-2007, 12:00 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
ok.

He plays big PP minutes, and big 5 on 5 minutes with arguably our best player,

the 2 of them dont play BIG minutes 5 on 5.

Carbo thinks the right thing to do is have our 4th line on the ice for over 12 minutes a game.

Old
10-18-2007, 12:01 AM
Unclereg

Who's the best guy on the Habs to watch play? Answer Chris Higgins.

Old
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
hmmm... no it's not... I have other things to do than post on message boards.
you said the message before was your last post in this thread.

Old
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
This was my last post on this thread.
Make it your last post on this board and I'll give you $5.

waffledave
Old
10-18-2007, 01:21 AM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
i love chris higgins as much as the next guy but i think people oveerrate his offensive skills just a little bit

he works his butt off, he has quick hands, great 2-way player, however not a great passer, decent but not fantastic shot, and misses the net quite often

i doubt he will be a 40-40 guy during his career, 30-30 seems more likely, 70 points in his best seasons

hope he proves me wrong though

Old
10-18-2007, 01:25 AM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post
i doubt he will be a 40-40 guy during his career, 30-30 seems more likely, 70 points in his best seasons

hope he proves me wrong though
That'll be netting him the 5 and 6 millions, we all know how clutch he can be.

Old
10-18-2007, 01:28 AM
Slick Nick

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
2001-02 Yale University NCAA 27 14 17 31 32
2002-03 Yale University NCAA 28 20 21 41 41
2003-04 Montreal Canadiens NHL 2 0 0 0 0 -- -- -- -- --
2003-04 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 67 21 27 48 18 10 3 2 5 0
2004-05 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 76 28 23 51 33 4 3 3 6 4
2005-06 Montreal Canadiens NHL 80 23 15 38 26 6 1 3 4 0
2006-07 Montreal Canadiens NHL 61 22 16 38 26 -- -- -- -- --
2007-08 Montreal Canadiens NHL 5 1 2 3 6
NHL Totals 148 46 33 79 58 6 1 3 4 0

Old
10-18-2007, 01:30 AM
Guillemin

I like Higgins. He can dominate a game.

I don't like his finish around the net though, so far this year.

Vast improvemen over Ryder for first line talent though.

Closed Thread