HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Heat molding

Old
10-15-2007, 08:40 AM
dukesnider

vCash: 500
Heat molding

My skates are at least a half-size too big and when I'm skating i really can tell they are a tad big. Someone suggested throwing them in your oven for a bit and that should help. Is that true? What is the right way to heat mold? Thanks!

dukesnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 09:13 AM
Gino 14

My last pair I molded, I threw in the oven at 275* for 14 minutes. Be very careful of the blades when you take them out. Put them on and lace them up as tight as you can and wear them till they cool.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 09:48 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

If they're too big.....

Molding them will open them up more.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Icer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Molding them will open them up more.
I agree. Heat will not make them smaller.

What you CAN do is pick up an aftermarket insoles and maybe even a pair of heel lifts. Aftermarket insoles are usually thicker than the POS insoles found in most skates so they'd take up any extra volume. Plus they actually give you some support. A heel lift goes under the insole and moves your foot up and forward in the boot. This will get rid of any heel slippage. If your local hockey shop doesn't have them, try a ski shop that does custom boot fittings or even a running store.

Last edited by Icer: 10-15-2007 at 10:28 AM.
Icer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 10:23 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer View Post
I agree. Heat will not make them smaller.

What you CAN do is pick up an aftermarket footbed and maybe even a heel lift. Custom footbeds are usually thicker than the POS footbeds found in most skates so they'd take up any extra volume. Plus they actually give you some support. A heel lift would move your foot up and forward in the boot and get rid of any heel slipping. If your local hockey shop doesn't have them, try a ski shop that does custom boot fittings or even a running store.

Nice work....maybe a "Supereet Insole." I replaced the worn down ones in my Missions and the new ones filled the skates and made them feel smaller. They have skate specific ones and are built up a little on the heel.

Old
10-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Gino 14

Heat won't make them smaller, but they will fit your foot better and may tend to stay when tightened. The skates must be more than a size too big if you have that much movement. I have 2 sets of skates, the second were a great set of Bauers that I got at a ridiculous price, they are a 1/2 size bigger than the "right" sized ones and I can't fell any difference. Both pairs of mine have been heat molded.

Old
10-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Nosebleed Section

Heat molding will help them to fit your foot but doing it yourself seems pretty risky. If you have any specialty hockey stores around your area then they should be able to do it for you.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 12:43 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

It's normally....

a 1/2 size smaller than your North American shoe size. I can notice a 1/2 size because my foot's a little narrow. The heating wil groove the tongue and make them a little easier to tie. I'd ask about those insoles when you visit the pro shop. Maybe a little of both will work.

Old
10-18-2007, 03:22 AM
Rickety Cricket

heat molding is one of those things thats best left to someone at a rink or a hockey store, they have a special machine for that. i know its similar to an oven, but for a piece of equipment that costs hundreds of dollars, i'd be safe and just take it somewhere

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan7 View Post
i know its similar to an oven, but for a piece of equipment that costs hundreds of dollars, i'd be safe and just take it somewhere
It's not a "special" piece of equipment, all it is is a small oven. As long as you use the right temperature and time, the end result will be the same. My skates cost in excess of $350, if I didn't have complete confidence that what I was doing was right, I would never have done it.

Old
10-18-2007, 10:59 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesnider View Post
My skates are at least a half-size too big and when I'm skating i really can tell they are a tad big. Someone suggested throwing them in your oven for a bit and that should help. Is that true? What is the right way to heat mold? Thanks!
Heat molding them may make then feel even bigger since it will pull your foot further back into the heel cup.

If you aren't 100% confident in what you are doing and know for sure you have the correct temp and time. I wouldn't suggest doing it on your own. It turn out to be an expensive experiment.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 09:09 PM
deeker*

I don't know about your guy'ses shops, but over here at Hockey Giant, they've got a pressure bag machine that you put you skates (w/feet in them) into, and it blows up around your skates.

Pretty trick!

deeker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 08:22 AM
Jeffw-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
My last pair I molded, I threw in the oven at 275* for 14 minutes. Be very careful of the blades when you take them out. Put them on and lace them up as tight as you can and wear them till they cool.
Jesus Christ, you don't bake cookies for that long. You'll likely be looking for new skates soon.

The paperwork that came with my Bauers say 175* for two minutes, don't pull hard against the eyelets, standing is OK but don't flex forward or back.

Last edited by Jeffw-13: 12-15-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Jeffw-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffw-13 View Post
Jesus Christ, you don't bake cookies for that long. You'll likely be looking for new skates soon.

The paperwork that came with my Bauers say 175* for two minutes, don't pull hard against the eyelets, standing is OK but don't flex forward or back.

Bake your cookies the way you want, that's not what this thread is about. How many pairs of skates have you actually done? My guess is none. I've done 3 pairs of 7000's, 3 pair of Bauer Classic Gold, one Classic silver, and 2 pair of 3000's, plus a bunch of CCM's and have never had an issue. You're just another self proclaimed expert that has never done a damn thing.

Old
12-17-2007, 05:37 AM
Jeffw-13

Baking is soooo 90's. I microwave mine on the popcorn setting.

Seriously, I've done a few pairs using the directions on E-Puck, which says to pre heat the oven to 200* then turn it off. Put the skates in the middle rack (I put them on a towel so they dont burn on the hot rack) leave in in for about three or four minutes, until they're warm to the touch then lace 'em up snug but not as tight as you would skate with, then sit with knees bent until they cool.

My vapor's came with this...

TIME/TEMP GUIDELINES

Preheat oven to a max of 175* and only heat for a max of two minutes. Failing to comply with the above mentioned instructions can damage your skates.

THERMAL ADJUSTMENT

You may stand straight up during the thermal adjustment. Do not walk or forward flex.

CAREFUL LACING

When lacing your skates after heating, do not pull forcefully on the laces. This is especially important when tying up the top two eyelets. Do not forward flex while the skates are warm. Wait at least one hour before skating.

Jeffw-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 05:42 AM
vcx*

Yeah i didn't know you weren't supposed to move around when you heat mold. I sorta screwed that process up. But my skates are fine, aside from the crazy pain i get for not having a damn arch in my foot. I still have a hard time playing through that, if i didn't have that pain i would probably play a lot better and be faster and i'm usually the fastest on the teams i play on.

I totally screwed up my bauer's when i was in bantam, because my feet would hurt so much i would take a water bottle and just douse my skates. It would feel good for a few minutes but at the end of the game i would have my skin peeling off where the blister formed. Yummy.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Wow.

How long did your skates last before they gave way?

12-18-2007, 03:55 PM
stick9

Quote:
Bake your cookies the way you want, that's not what this thread is about. How many pairs of skates have you actually done? My guess is none. I've done 3 pairs of 7000's, 3 pair of Bauer Classic Gold, one Classic silver, and 2 pair of 3000's, plus a bunch of CCM's and have never had an issue. You're just another self proclaimed expert that has never done a damn thing.
Still seems like an awfly long time at a temp that seems a bit high. At that point, I'd be afraid of burning my feet or even my hands.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
If parts of the skate are thermoplastics, and the blade holders almost always are, then 275 is definitely to high.

Few thermoplastics won't deform under any significant pressure at that temperature. Did you stand on them?

Don't do 275.

Correct me if you can find any manufacturers that recommend that temperature.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
If parts of the skate are thermoplastics, and the blade holders almost always are, then 275 is definitely to high.

Few thermoplastics won't deform under any significant pressure at that temperature. Did you stand on them?

Don't do 275.

As I stated before, I've done about 15 pairs and never had a problem. Since I base my results on what I have actually done, I'll stand behind it. I have no idea what the actual temperature of the materials is at the end of 14 minutes, but it's not 275*. Best guess would be in the range of 125* - 130*, uncomfortable to hold, but it doesn't burn. For the plastics to reach 275*, they'd have to stay for probably at least a half hour in an oven that was pre-heated. Since you're the thermoplastics expert, you tell me. Again, most of you are just using bits and pieces of info with no real knowledge to say it can't work, yet you really have no idea what you're talking about. You know just enough to be dangerous.

Old
12-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
I know just enough to take them to my LHS and get done professionally.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 11:09 AM
sc37

vCash: 700
Quote:
As I stated before, I've done about 15 pairs and never had a problem. Since I base my results on what I have actually done, I'll stand behind it. I have no idea what the actual temperature of the materials is at the end of 14 minutes, but it's not 275*. Best guess would be in the range of 125* - 130*, uncomfortable to hold, but it doesn't burn. For the plastics to reach 275*, they'd have to stay for probably at least a half hour in an oven that was pre-heated. Since you're the thermoplastics expert, you tell me. Again, most of you are just using bits and pieces of info with no real knowledge to say it can't work, yet you really have no idea what you're talking about. You know just enough to be dangerous.
15 pairs? Is it because they all broke down prematurely from overheating?

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

Too long and about 50 degrees too hot and I've heated hundreds of pairs over the last eight years. You're taking life out of the skate.

Old
12-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post

Don't do 275.

well said, and no manufacturer will recommend anything over 225 degrees.

Old
12-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Too long and about 50 degrees too hot and I've heated hundreds of pairs over the last eight years. You're taking life out of the skate.
So you're telling me that you've done a minimum of 25-30 pairs of skates a year for the last 8 years? That's pretty impressive numbers considering how long heat moldable skates have been out and in a price range where the masses can afford them. Or do you heat skates for the pros too? Share with us your vast wealth of experience since you say my methods are no good.