HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

i guess that maybe 1 or 2 have thought about this...

Old
10-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

vCash: 500
i guess that maybe 1 or 2 have thought about this...

i have resisted the idea myself to suggest we bring Paul Mara back cause there was something there that i didnt get last season...

but as we watch him totally fall out of favor with the rangers and realize they are desperate to dump some contract... to be honest, id prob rather have Mara back here for 3 mill for the rest of this season than see us give it to Markov for a 3 year deal...

Mara did seem to care last season. He did fight some when this team needed someone to fight... and i have no idea why we didnt allow him onto the PP... but he isnt horrible when he is on the PP.

I know that he is undoubtedly overpaid now for what he is bringing to the table the last couple years... and i know he isnt great defensively...

Chara/Ward are shaping up to be a pretty darn good first pair for shutting down top lines..

Ferrence can cover up alot of mistakes in a second pair if Mara fit in here

Alberts might have some decent trade value given his age/contract... if he does... id prob look to move him.. if not, id prob look to demote Stuart or Wideman after dealing for Mara.

in order to free up the cap room... i guess Axelsson repersents a million dollar saving and another 500k can be saved by carrying only 22 skaters instead of 23. If Alberts was dealt or Stuart demoted... there is another million of Mara's cost.

I was upset when he didnt work out last year since i had been a fan of him since 97 when i hoped he would be our second pick. It was frustrating to see him and stuart struggle so much last year...

considering hes closer to ufa status now though and wouldnt be a long term risk to take another chance on... i wonder how crazy an idea it would be to bring him in to address the issues on the blueline regarding mobility and a second pp guy

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Bruins78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
i have resisted the idea myself to suggest we bring Paul Mara back cause there was something there that i didnt get last season...

but as we watch him totally fall out of favor with the rangers and realize they are desperate to dump some contract... to be honest, id prob rather have Mara back here for 3 mill for the rest of this season than see us give it to Markov for a 3 year deal...

Mara did seem to care last season. He did fight some when this team needed someone to fight... and i have no idea why we didnt allow him onto the PP... but he isnt horrible when he is on the PP.

I know that he is undoubtedly overpaid now for what he is bringing to the table the last couple years... and i know he isnt great defensively...

Chara/Ward are shaping up to be a pretty darn good first pair for shutting down top lines..

Ferrence can cover up alot of mistakes in a second pair if Mara fit in here

Alberts might have some decent trade value given his age/contract... if he does... id prob look to move him.. if not, id prob look to demote Stuart or Wideman after dealing for Mara.

in order to free up the cap room... i guess Axelsson repersents a million dollar saving and another 500k can be saved by carrying only 22 skaters instead of 23. If Alberts was dealt or Stuart demoted... there is another million of Mara's cost.

I was upset when he didnt work out last year since i had been a fan of him since 97 when i hoped he would be our second pick. It was frustrating to see him and stuart struggle so much last year...

considering hes closer to ufa status now though and wouldnt be a long term risk to take another chance on... i wonder how crazy an idea it would be to bring him in to address the issues on the blueline regarding mobility and a second pp guy
If he made 1-1.4 mil I would not mind seeing him back but multiple years at 3mil per is too much to absorb. I would rather wait it out and see who else may become available down the road. I would hate for them to panic and bring back Mara at this price and then have someone younger/cheaper with better upside like Krajicek become available a few weeks later.

Bruins78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

I find Markov much harder to play against then Mara.I don't hate Paul but I really don't see him here with this team.Markov I wouldn't mind a 2 year deal I think he can help us big time

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 12:06 PM
wheelerishere*

mara is not the answer and neither is markov for that matter, boston needs a legit number 2 d-man, i know they are hard to come by but thats what we need, our defence is not good, all we have is chara who is half the player he was in ottawa( i guess 7.5 mil a yr will do that). after chara its a huge slide of talent, who's our second best dman ference? ward?wideman? they are all 4 or 5 dman in my eyes. boston is off to a good start but if we play the full season with our current d-corps the bruins will be arriving for early tee times once again...

wheelerishere* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerishere View Post
mara is not the answer and neither is markov for that matter, boston needs a legit number 2 d-man, i know they are hard to come by but thats what we need, our defence is not good, all we have is chara who is half the player he was in ottawa( i guess 7.5 mil a yr will do that). after chara its a huge slide of talent, who's our second best dman ference? ward?wideman? they are all 4 or 5 dman in my eyes. boston is off to a good start but if we play the full season with our current d-corps the bruins will be arriving for early tee times once again...
The Carolina defence was it that good 2 years ago?Chara,Ward and Ference is a better top 3 that they had 2 years ago.

Also Chara played with Redden in Ottawa and that explains the reason not the money he makes

Old
10-18-2007, 12:17 PM
SAVEBYTHOMAS

Chara was paired with Phillips...

SAVEBYTHOMAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 12:20 PM
weaponomega

If trading for Mara means demoting Stuart I will pass. And I also believe that Wideman's play has warranted a position on the team so far.

But, now is the time for Stuart to be given the opportunity to make the team. I think he has what we need from a 4-6 blueliner. He's tough, has leadership skills and is solid defensively.

I would Stuart over Mara.

I don't think trading Mara was a mistake. I really like what Ward has brought to the team. Add to that he's one of the most well spoken athletes I have ever heard. The trade is in the past, it's done with, lets move on.

weaponomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 12:22 PM
wheelerishere*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil the thrill View Post
Chara was paired with Phillips...
i thought he was paired with mezaros for the most of the season

Old
10-18-2007, 12:23 PM
wheelerishere*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
The Carolina defence was it that good 2 years ago?Chara,Ward and Ference is a better top 3 that they had 2 years ago.

Also Chara played with Redden in Ottawa and that explains the reason not the money he makes
redden?? we are seeing how good redden really is since chara left. redden had a horrible yr last yr and so far this yr he isnt doin all that much either.

Old
10-18-2007, 12:45 PM
Bruzin

Chara definitely played with Phillips, not Redden or Meszaros. He was a UFA and that ship has sailed. It's too bad he didn't want to leave Ottawa because he would have solidified our blueline. He's really an underrated pro.

Bruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 12:54 PM
flannelman
Glen Metropolit!

vCash: 50
thought that this was/is a contract year for Mara, no?

We'd have cap space a few months down the road, but right now, pass. And I wouldn't want to give up anything to get him back. I think he'd be much better utilized in the system we have now vs what we had last year.

But I'd rather see Stuart/Wideman/Alberts get the time they need this year.

Just my .o2

flannelman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Waltah*

what about boynton?

Waltah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 01:05 PM
caper8

mara is a bum. Nobody wants him, he's nbottomed out. Boynton is a poison. Markov.......absolutely. 3 million is well worth it.

caper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Goalie27*

Send a message via AIM to Goalie27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper8 View Post
mara is a bum. Nobody wants him, he's nbottomed out. Boynton is a poison. Markov.......absolutely. 3 million is well worth it.
I don't see why everyone thinks Markov is the answer... He's been on 5 different teams in the past 4 NHL seasons, and none of them have brought him back. There's got to be a reason for that.

Goalie27* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 02:10 PM
caper8

I'm not saying he's the answer but wouldn't you like to see him here.

caper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Goalie27*

Send a message via AIM to Goalie27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper8 View Post
I'm not saying he's the answer but wouldn't you like to see him here.
Not for $3million. Somewhere around 2 would be fine, but adding him at all is going to put us over the cap if everyone reaches their bonuses. I don't want to be spending next year's money this season just to pick up Markov.

Goalie27* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_81 View Post
what about boynton?
I like Boynton but I think he's too slow for this new league

Old
10-18-2007, 02:46 PM
whatsbruin

Its early in the season, and mojo, karma, team gelling (R U Gellin ?), etc
is starting to happen.

Why disrupt that with a trade for Mara, or anyone else of the #4 -6 caliber
type D'men. It does not make the team significantly better.

If the D'man is a # 2, thats a different story.

whatsbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 02:56 PM
ap3lovr

ugh.. all this talk about a number 2 defenseman is making me sick. I'd rather have 5 #3-4 defensemen and Chara then Chara a number 2 defensemen and a bunch of 5-6's.

Right now I think we are in a decent postion, Mara actually would fill the void of a pucking moving D-man until Lashoff comes up next season. Stuart should also at that time be ready to step into the #2 man role. Ference, Ward are both #3-4 guys, Alberts and Wideman are both #5-6. Wideman server a puck moving role so it's ok.

Alberts is expenable at this point. Don't want to throw him under a bus, but maybe on top of a compact car might be ok. Offering Alberts + Reich might get it done as NY wants the cap space. This would get Reich into an environment he can play in and Alberts can be bad somewhere else.

Mara would come back, play out the end of his term, then Lashoff can step into his place.

ap3lovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

i guess the talk is that when Markov was moved out of TO it was for lifestyle reasons... and now that hes married i guess that he is a much better person to have around

not sure if this makes him more or less desirable to grab

i know that sometimes a guy will get serious and do what it takes to become a better and more reliable team member as he matures.

i remember Markov always had that raw talent that seemed to say he would be able to do more... but then something happened and he brain cramped too often.

a bit like borris mironov maybe...

i have such mixed feelings on markov cause im sure hed be a great 3/4 guy but i think giving him 9 mill over 3 years would force us to view him as a 2 guy and thats a problem imho

Boynton gets a mention in this thread... and i personally loved the way he competed and hated to lose, but i know he really disliked boston management by the time he got moved. he was part of thorntons clique and we might not be able to go back there.

i think we missed the boat on Alexei Zhitnik last year. He makes a bit more but is worth it to me. Atlanta has ownership issues and now a lameduck gm being told to save his job. If we do pull the trugger on Hossa... id like Zhitnik as part of it even though we'd have to move a heck of a lot of payroll to make that work getting the both of them.

If Rangers seriously want Jovonovski... then Mara really has to go. Phoenix will need some dead salary and some picks to make it all work. For low cost options for us... Mara might make the most sense. His contract expires at the end of this season and if we hold off on a deal for a couple more game, 10% of it will be gone.

I really would favor moving Alberts myself. The kid was making me eat my words the first 30 games last year, but this now is closer to what i thought hed be right from day 1. He will never be a good fighter... he seems to fall into that trap where if he goes for the big hit it takes him out of position. if he isnt going for the big hit or fighting, then hes just a slow dman.

if he had a great partner with him or was on a bad team... he could play in the NHL... i just dont think an average team wins with him playing top 4-5

I hope Stuart has more leadership... more ability to hit without getting burnt... and hes the kid id allow to develop into that role while having a Ward type around and a Chara around to provide enough rest of grit to get the grit quota filled.

Our d is overbalanced on the big, slow, gritty side now and a guy like Mara did show some fiestyness last year anyhow so he might not bring it shift in and shift out, but i think he has something to prove and would love a second chance in Boston to get his career back on track again

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 04:43 PM
bb74

There's something wrong if Mara can't stick with the NYR D corps... I thought he got a bar rap here last year but he hasn't been able to crach a decent NHL lineup in NY so I don't think it makes sense to go back.

Let's see how Stuart, Wideman and Alberts develop these first 15-20 games and then make a move. Aside from Alberts they haven't been that bad so I'm no too concerend right now.

At some point you need to go with your hunches and with the system and the skill on the roster we have enough to compete and win more often than not.

As for Alberts - I think the fact that he can no longer rely on his skating in the Box plus system has exposed his "hockey sense" and ability to read the play. I never thought he'd be more than a decent bottom pairing guy but he does show flashed of impressive play on the PK (where he has to skate his butt off). If he isn't skating he's a liability.

bb74 is offline   Reply With Quote