HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Predators vs Ducks 10/17

Old
10-18-2007, 07:08 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
I saw the Niedermayer and Zidlicky crash into the board. I didn't see how it started as it looked like both were on the ground prior to passing the net.

I'm not arguing that Zidlicky can't be a bit stick happy out there, but I think it was clearly an example of Kunitz going overboard. I have rarely ever seen anything like that, save for when a guy takes a clear instigator and goes insane. Zids may have dropped the stick, I can't recall/without video I'm not going to make a positive confirmation about that. I know the annoucers did mention that he did, but even if he did, its a bang/bang thing. I think you can pretty much ascertain that Zids wasn't trying to get into a fist fight....maybe to pull Kunitz into the boards, but I was just shocked at the reaction of Kunitz....it was definitely overboard. Even Ducks fans have to admit, the guy completely snapped over a very very minor incidence (and lets be honest, the Ducks give more than they get in 100% of their games).

Anyways, I felt like the missed high-stick was a major factor in the game, but other than that I enjoyed watching the game. In fact, I don't remember getting upset about anything UNTIL that missed call. I think the team deflated a bit after that missed opportunity, and after the third goal, it was simply all Anaheim.

Great game through 52 minutes.....

10-18-2007, 09:55 AM
Jarnberg

The team actually played well last night, matching Anaheim most of the night. Unfortunately, Anaheim got goals at the worst possible times for the Predators. You never want to give up goals at the end of a period or right after you score, especially with a team on the downswing in terms of confidence like the Predators.

The Predators played really well the first period and pretty much dominated, yet allowed a goal in the last minute of the period. Goals like that sting.

Then, right after scoring the tying goal, we have a blunder and all of a sudden we're down again. Again, a complete momentum shift right after we had started to take the momentum back.

Obviously you never want to be happy with a loss, but its not like the team played bad. We got a bit unlucky and had a few breakdowns. Against a team like Anaheim, sometimes all it takes is a few breakdowns like that. This wasn't the same Predators team that lost the last few games. This was a much better effort. Now that needs to translate into winning again.

I agree with some comments above, Zidlicky had an awesome game. Refreshing to see from him.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 10:36 AM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
I don't have a problem with what Kunitz or Zidlicky did. I don't think either of them should of gotten fighting majors. I thought Kunitz should have gotten a double minor and Zids should of gotten 2 minutes.

hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 10:50 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 9000
my observations

1. You Ducks fans are funny. If Kunitz had shielded his face and it had been Tootoo that was wailing away, there would have been 9 threads across this site about what a stupid goon he is, he should be banished from hockey, blah blah blah, etc etc... and you know it.

2. Why not play Ellis? He can let in softies as easy as Mason, but then has an excuse for playing positionally like a rookie.

3. deVries is literally the second coming of Bill Houlder. This guy is the worst Dman in the entire NHL. [yet Trotz thought it was a good idea to pair him with Ville]

4. How do you miss a call where a guy clearly misses an easy goal because he is being raked across the face with a high stick? Futhermore, I thought the Ducks could have easily been called for intereference on 3 seperate occasions.

5. Suprise Suprise, the Ducks adjusted to the gameplay after the first intermission and we got worse as the game went on.

6. It was still a much better effort than we've seen in a while. The first period was a joy to watch until the last 30 seconds.

7. Did it seem to anyone else that Dumont just wasnt in the game last night? He seemed like his mind was someplace far far away from the Honda Center.

8. I miss the old Anaheim jerseys, the new ones are horribly plain, generic looking, and ugly.

my bottom line: awesome effort and team play for most of the 1st period. deVries has to go right now, he was out of position, slower than Cale Hulse, and added very little for the 3rd game straight. Mason is killing us. They've said from the beginning that this team will have to win by working hard and grinding out close games. That will never happen when you let in 2+ soft goals per game.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
1. You Ducks fans are funny. If Kunitz had shielded his face and it had been Tootoo that was wailing away, there would have been 9 threads across this site about what a stupid goon he is, he should be banished from hockey, blah blah blah, etc etc... and you know it.

2. Why not play Ellis? He can let in softies as easy as Mason, but then has an excuse for playing positionally like a rookie.

3. deVries is literally the second coming of Bill Houlder. This guy is the worst Dman in the entire NHL. [yet Trotz thought it was a good idea to pair him with Ville]

4. How do you miss a call where a guy clearly misses an easy goal because he is being raked across the face with a high stick? Futhermore, I thought the Ducks could have easily been called for intereference on 3 seperate occasions.

5. Suprise Suprise, the Ducks adjusted to the gameplay after the first intermission and we got worse as the game went on.

6. It was still a much better effort than we've seen in a while. The first period was a joy to watch until the last 30 seconds.

7. Did it seem to anyone else that Dumont just wasnt in the game last night? He seemed like his mind was someplace far far away from the Honda Center.

8. I miss the old Anaheim jerseys, the new ones are horribly plain, generic looking, and ugly.

my bottom line: awesome effort and team play for most of the 1st period. deVries has to go right now, he was out of position, slower than Cale Hulse, and added very little for the 3rd game straight. Mason is killing us. They've said from the beginning that this team will have to win by working hard and grinding out close games. That will never happen when you let in 2+ soft goals per game.
1. Who do you think we are? Oilers fans? Have a little more faith in us than that.

The thing about Zid is that he got away with tripping an assistant captain into the boards headfirst when there really should have been a call. Niedermayer was on the ground for a while and I think that stirred up some emotions early.

I was sitting on the goal side when the kunitz "fight" happened and what the camera doesn't show very well is that your man takes a big whack (could have even been a slash on the hand)at the stick and then either throws a gloved punch or a cross check up high on Kunitz and dropped his stick.

What I think was really going on is that Zidlicky was trying to draw a power play by covering up like that, but the refs and the crowd saw the whole thing.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 11:15 AM
jstreet
Smashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapninja View Post
1. Who do you think we are? Oilers fans? Have a little more faith in us than that.

The thing about Zid is that he got away with tripping an assistant captain into the boards headfirst when there really should have been a call. Niedermayer was on the ground for a while and I think that stirred up some emotions early.

I was sitting on the goal side when the kunitz "fight" happened and what the camera doesn't show very well is that your man takes a big whack (could have even been a slash on the hand)at the stick and then either throws a gloved punch or a cross check up high on Kunitz and dropped his stick.

What I think was really going on is that Zidlicky was trying to draw a power play by covering up like that, but the refs and the crowd saw the whole thing.
Not that I condone it and I certainly dont wish harm on anyone, but you can trip guys all night long, given that you've touched the puck first.

I stand by my statements, we've seen it a million times before, it doesnt matter the cirumstance, Tootoo wears a guy out in the face like that and he is the dirtiest player in the league, someone like Kunitz does it and Zidlicky simply needs to grow a pair. [ which I will give credit to Kunitz, I was embarrased for Zidlicky when that whole episode was over]

Anyway, I digress... Zidlicky lacks of fighting skills is the least of my concern. I think he stopped fighting a couple of seasons ago when Rick Nash took it to him. I was embarassed then too.

Im most concerned with the discrepancy in our 1st period play and our 3rd period play.

Old
10-18-2007, 12:07 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Not that I condone it and I certainly dont wish harm on anyone, but you can trip guys all night long, given that you've touched the puck first.

I stand by my statements, we've seen it a million times before, it doesnt matter the cirumstance, Tootoo wears a guy out in the face like that and he is the dirtiest player in the league, someone like Kunitz does it and Zidlicky simply needs to grow a pair. [ which I will give credit to Kunitz, I was embarrased for Zidlicky when that whole episode was over]

Anyway, I digress... Zidlicky lacks of fighting skills is the least of my concern. I think he stopped fighting a couple of seasons ago when Rick Nash took it to him. I was embarassed then too.

Im most concerned with the discrepancy in our 1st period play and our 3rd period play.

AMEN

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 01:44 PM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
Quote:

actually this was his 4th fight since fighting Nash.

hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 02:18 PM
lugnut76

A few thoughts on the game . . .

1. The bounces did go our way. With Mason completely overplaying the puck, the ducks had a couple of opportunities and missed a wide open net. The score could have very easily been 5-1.

2. Mason doesn't look like anything better than a good back-up goalie right now. Let in at least one very soft goal, was out of position a number of times, had some troubles with rebounds, and had trouble covering the puck a couple of times. This doesn't look good.

3. deVries is not good but Hamhuis didn't play much better. I have been waiting for the guy to play with some consistency the past few years and he never fails to let me down. He is not the top 4 defenseman that he should be. There was probably a bit of confusion on the first Ducks goal but he played that thing way too passively, he was guilty of the much discussed homerun pass on the breakout a number of times, and he had a couple of shots blocked from the point which is creates dangerous situations and potential odd man rushes (i.e. the breakaway goal last night). I think very highly of Weber, but maybe he is even more important than I thought.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 02:39 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut76 View Post
A few thoughts on the game . . .

1. The bounces did go our way. With Mason completely overplaying the puck, the ducks had a couple of opportunities and missed a wide open net. The score could have very easily been 5-1.

2. Mason doesn't look like anything better than a good back-up goalie right now. Let in at least one very soft goal, was out of position a number of times, had some troubles with rebounds, and had trouble covering the puck a couple of times. This doesn't look good.

3. deVries is not good but Hamhuis didn't play much better. I have been waiting for the guy to play with some consistency the past few years and he never fails to let me down. He is not the top 4 defenseman that he should be. There was probably a bit of confusion on the first Ducks goal but he played that thing way too passively, he was guilty of the much discussed homerun pass on the breakout a number of times, and he had a couple of shots blocked from the point which is creates dangerous situations and potential odd man rushes (i.e. the breakaway goal last night). I think very highly of Weber, but maybe he is even more important than I thought.
agreed on most accounts.

I think suter played his best game of the year last night. Right now combine the fact that mason is in a slump, for the most part the defense has been horrendous (especially koistenen, devries, and suter up until last night), and the lines aren't gelling and we have some serious problems. I still think we can make the playoffs, but we need to really find our identity as a team.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 03:23 PM
Pepper

Quote:
First of all, who the hell are you to tell us what we would have done?

Secondly, there's a HUGE difference between Tootoo killing someone and Kunitz killing someone. If you have to ask what that difference is, we can drop this conversation right now. It IS that obvious.

For the record, had it been Brad May who did that instead of Kunitz, there would be a 9-page thread full of whining with all 3 Wild fans of HF Boards leading the way.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 03:44 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post

Secondly, there's a HUGE difference between Tootoo killing someone and Kunitz killing someone. If you have to ask what that difference is, we can drop this conversation right now. It IS that obvious.

For the record, had it been Brad May who did that instead of Kunitz, there would be a 9-page thread full of whining with all 3 Wild fans of HF Boards leading the way.
I thought you were a flames fan. I recall several inflammatory posts in regards to the preds/flames games.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post

Please......go somewhere else to pick a fight.

And for your second point, the difference is only in perception of the individual, not the actions themselves.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 04:18 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Please......go somewhere else to pick a fight.

And for your second point, the difference is only in perception of the individual, not the actions themselves.
This is nothing new. Kings fans have to deal with a plethora of ducks fans just like this guy. You guys are right though. Had the roles been switched with Tootoo attacking anyone of the ducks like that there would have been e-hands up all over the place and about 9 pages of ducks fans whining. Same thing happened a couple years ago with Avery and Perry. Saying that Avery was a goon, way bigger than Perry, and he was attacking a "pure goal scorer" that never fights. Just be happy you don't have to play the Ducks 8 times a year.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 04:34 PM
SonOfBraincramp

Everyone should go to youtube and see the fight a 2nd time.

You can see a few things on the replay.

They shove each other. I think Kunitz started the body shoving

Kunitz takes a two handed cross check to the mouth.

Kunitz drops the gloves

Zidlicky drops his stick

Kunitz hits him twice

Zidlicky Turtles and covers his face

Kunitz continues for 3 right handed punches

Kunitz stops fighting on his own after seeing Zidlicky is not fighting back.

Then the refs get to Kunitz.

You can clearly see that Kunitz only lands 3 right handed punches after Zidlicky covers his face and then Kunitz stops on his own before the refs get there.

Yeah Kunitz blew up, but it was a true scuffle between both of them which was more than just a 'face washing'

SonOfBraincramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 04:51 PM
lugnut76

"You can clearly see that Kunitz only lands 3 right handed punches after Zidlicky covers his face and then Kunitz stops on his own before the refs get there".

. . .And Abraham Lincoln was only shot once because Booth was kind enough to stop.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Chexxum

Send a message via AIM to Chexxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfBraincramp View Post
Everyone should go to youtube and see the fight a 2nd time.

Yeah Kunitz blew up, but it was a true scuffle between both of them which was more than just a 'face washing'
Zidlicky was just trying to get his team a powerplay by baiting Kunitz into thinking he was going to fight. That's why he dropped his stick then decided to turtle. I remember Peter Worrell pulling this move all the time.

Chexxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 05:13 PM
braindead

I agree completely. It was a tactical move on Zids part but, frankly, I'm suprised it didn't work. The league virtually always calls uneven penalties when one guy drops the gloves and the other doesn't. Frankly, though, I don't care nearly as much about this one (as Zids was trying to get a freebie) as the Gelinas uncalled double-minor right in front of the net, right where the puck was. Refs have to pick up those calls every time against every team. That was a major gaff and the only horrible call/non-call of the game IMO (assuming Zids actually touched the puck on the Neids play-- I think he did but if he didn't then there is no excuse for missing that one either).

On a separate note, I'd strongly consider trading/cutting DeVries instead of Klien or Koistenen when Weber is back. He can't play in our system. It reminds me of Witt at best and (as referenced above) Hulse at worst. Even Houlder had better instincts about where to be and where to make a pass, even if equally incapable of actually doing it. I'd be happy to let Cody Franson come learn to play in the big leagues. At least he would be learning from his major blunders.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfur View Post
This is nothing new. Kings fans have to deal with a plethora of ducks fans just like this guy. You guys are right though. Had the roles been switched with Tootoo attacking anyone of the ducks like that there would have been e-hands up all over the place and about 9 pages of ducks fans whining. Same thing happened a couple years ago with Avery and Perry. Saying that Avery was a goon, way bigger than Perry, and he was attacking a "pure goal scorer" that never fights. Just be happy you don't have to play the Ducks 8 times a year.
translated: boo hoo my team is in last place and our division is hawrd

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapninja View Post
translated: boo hoo my team is in last place and our division is hawrd
Bicker with Kings fans on other boards - Only warning.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 09:23 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I understand a goalie getting beat on the breakaway is usually not his fault but that was a weak shot on the breakaway, Mason sieved.....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 09:53 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post

On a separate note, I'd strongly consider trading/cutting DeVries instead of Klien or Koistenen when Weber is back. He can't play in our system. It reminds me of Witt at best and (as referenced above) Hulse at worst. Even Houlder had better instincts about where to be and where to make a pass, even if equally incapable of actually doing it. I'd be happy to let Cody Franson come learn to play in the big leagues. At least he would be learning from his major blunders.
There is a reason that Thrashers fans hated him and couldn't wait to see him go, despite having a defense that most people would scoff at.

That is a novel idea, Enoch, but I just can't see Poile considering it, without more "experience" on the blueline......needless to say, who is going to want him?

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 09:54 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Sometimes a bad shot is harder to stop than a good shot. It's like a fastball pitcher with a good change-up...the fastball is pretty, but the change-up makes hitters look horrible...but thats the only excuse I'll make for Mason. He isn't cutting it now, regardless of how they are scoring goals against him.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 10:04 PM
jstreet
Smashville

Im all in favor of at least sitting deVries. Trotz has praised him, but after watching the game film, there is just no way that you can put a positive spin on his game. He is harder to defend with each passing game. Something will have to give soon.

Im hoping that Trotz is depserate enough to not go the way of Hartley and something gets done.

Old
10-18-2007, 10:29 PM
braindead

Maybe reconsidering the pairings? I'm hard pressed to figure it out since DeVries needs someone fast and, even though he is a defensive dman, needs someone defensively responsible. That kills Zids and, IMO, Koistenen. Suter perhaps? I think, actually, a Klein and DeVries pairing works better than Koistenen. Maybe Hamhuis?

You could try Zanon and DeVries and threaten to bench them if they cross center ice.

Truthfully he needs Shea Weber, but, hell, my grandmother could pair reasonably well with Shea Weber.... and she doesn't skate.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote