HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Teppo Numminen's season over, possibly career!!

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2004, 08:38 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Sad news. If he is forced to retire he should look back at his career and be proud. Classy guy and good player.

Old
03-20-2004, 10:32 PM
PecaFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksflytogether
But he wouldn't have the experience of raising the cup after winning the desisive game.
Why wouldn't he? Lots of injured players get passed the Cup. Detroit had Konstantinov and his wheelchair out, for example.

Old
03-21-2004, 12:53 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
He'd still get a ring if the Stars win the Cup this year of course.
He would? I thought you had to suit up for at least one playoff game for that year to get a ring.

Damn, that sucks. Anyone know what the prognosis on a dilated aorta? Like would he be able to walk around, or is he bed-ridden?

Old
03-21-2004, 12:54 AM
pt 77

if you'd like to, you can send Teppo a message @

GetWellSoon@dallasstars.com

I think it would be classy and well appreciated if NHL fans would take just a couple minutes to write one of the "good guys" a note.

Old
03-21-2004, 03:50 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Honestly, I think this pretty much confirms that this team won't go far in the playoffs. We had an immensly tight defense. Each one had his shotcomings, but it was stingy and very close as a group. They have been one of the reasons the Stars turned it around and now I can't imagine them continueing their surge for #3 with players like Chris Therien and Lubomir Sekeras on the ice. Only positive note is that this will mean Sweeney is assured a spot, if anyone has been steady and consistant on the Stars, its Sweeney. But does a defense consisting of Sergei Zubov, Philippe Boucher, Jon Klemm, Richard Matvichuk, Don Sweeney and Chris Therien really scare you? Is it good enough to support Turco?

Old
03-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Wyvern

Teppo has been living with heart conditions all his life. He has had a heart murmur since he was a baby and has had a disease of the aorta for most of his life.

Fortunately the condition is not life-threatening at this time, but every tough hit he takes he will run the risk of making the problem more severe.

Get Well.

Old
03-21-2004, 01:05 PM
Pontifex Maximus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrow1005
But in hindsight how does that Therien trade look now??
Worse. Therien will have to play more now.

Old
03-21-2004, 01:09 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrachlinexperience
Worse. Therien will have to play more now.
Therien played a great game last night, he can be pretty brutal on some nights, but he hasn't been nearly as bad as Flyer fans advertised he would be.

Old
03-21-2004, 05:57 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
He would? I thought you had to suit up for at least one playoff game for that year to get a ring.
Yup. It's one playoff game, or more than 40/45 regular season games (forget the exact number).

Old
03-21-2004, 06:11 PM
Birko19

What a shame, I feel sad about this, Teppo is a class act and it's too bad for this to happen to him, I wish him and his family all the best, get well Teppo.

By the way, he'll still get a ring if the Stars win the cup, here are the rules from what I understand:

- Must play at least 40 season games for that team.
- If you don't have 40 season games, you must play in the very final game where you win the cup (this happened with Jiri Slegr in Detroit, he didn't play 40 games, but played the very last game of the playoffs and got his name on the cup).
-If you don't play all year, the team can still request to have your name on the cup (Valdimer Konstentinov had his name on the cup in 1998 when the Wings won it for him), I'm pretty positive the Stars would do the same with Teppo Numminen if they won the cup.

Old
03-21-2004, 08:56 PM
Pontifex Maximus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19
What a shame, I feel sad about this, Teppo is a class act and it's too bad for this to happen to him, I wish him and his family all the best, get well Teppo.

By the way, he'll still get a ring if the Stars win the cup, here are the rules from what I understand:

- Must play at least 40 season games for that team.
- If you don't have 40 season games, you must play in the very final game where you win the cup (this happened with Jiri Slegr in Detroit, he didn't play 40 games, but played the very last game of the playoffs and got his name on the cup).
-If you don't play all year, the team can still request to have your name on the cup (Valdimer Konstentinov had his name on the cup in 1998 when the Wings won it for him), I'm pretty positive the Stars would do the same with Teppo Numminen if they won the cup.
I don't know about the second rule. What if a team acquires a player at the trade deadline (or otherwise just doesn't play 40 games in the season) and plays in the entire playoffs save the last game?

Old
03-21-2004, 09:10 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrachlinexperience
I don't know about the second rule. What if a team acquires a player at the trade deadline (or otherwise just doesn't play 40 games in the season) and plays in the entire playoffs save the last game?
IE. maybee a Rob Ray/Calle Johansson situation? they hadn't played till they were signed and between now and the finals less then 40 games will have passed.

Say Calle gets Injured in the late stages of the 3rd round or in the early stages of the 4th, would he not have his name engraved on the cup then?

Old
03-21-2004, 09:29 PM
loveshack2

I'm pretty sure it's *One* playoff game. Not the last playoff game.

Old
03-21-2004, 09:31 PM
devildan

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
Yup. See the 2000 Devils and career AHL'er Steve Brule who happened to play 1 game in the ECF and get his name on the cup.

Old
03-21-2004, 10:52 PM
Birko19

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
Nope, here's the rules, I got them from NHL.com,

http://nhl.com/hockeyu/history/cup/fun_facts.html

scroll all the way down, it says:

"To have one's name engraved on the Stanley Cup certain requirements must be met. A player must have at least 41 games played with the club or one game played in the Stanley Cup Finals. However, in 1994 a stipulation was added to allow a team to petition the Commissioner for permission to have players' names put on the Cup if extenuating circumstances prevented them from being available to play."

So pretty much all you need is one game in the finals, not the entire playoffs, all the ones that never reached 41 games and never played one game in the finals got their name on the cup by having a petition from their club.

Closed Thread