HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr's scoring

Old
10-19-2007, 11:51 PM
BobMarleyNYR

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Jagr's scoring

Let me first say, very clearly, this is not to drum up any controversy and say his finishing is finished. It's just a topic for discussion that, perhaps, I could gain a better understanding of with the input of others.

Jagr's gotten bigger and consequently slowed down. No news, though we've all seen him go on tears two or three times per game... NOW, the question is, has Jagr just become attracted to the idea of being older, carrying the puck into the zone and feeding from the half-boards and corners (which is tremendously beneficial), or has he actually lost some scoring touch?

I mean, we saw it last season, he was a perimeter player; that was largely due to the shoulder. So has he forgotten how to burst into the slot and maneuver a goal in? Obviously he's defended pretty aggressively, but he could handle that in '06. He seems to have become very easy to defend against, and his main strength as of now seems to be receiving/dealing passes -- cycling.

What does everyone think: has he lost his edge, only having the capacity to put in 25-30 goals... or do we just give it time, expecting around 40?

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 12:15 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

He looks injured. I hate to make excuses for him but thats just my take. Its not that he is playing lazy, but he just gets knocked off the puck wayy to easily this season. He doesn't have the same puck control he did last season.

Losing Nylander was a big blow to his game as well, thats just a fact, its going to take him time to get used to Drury or Gomez (Renney please make up your mind already so they can gel quicker).

He'll come through though, im not worried about Jagr this early on.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 01:45 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Send a message via Yahoo to yada
What is frustrating is he has been missing the net a lot last year and so far this year. It seemed like 06 erry thing he shot went in the net and he never shot the puck over the net

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 12:00 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

To me, hes not getting into the areas where he gets those shots off with EASE often enough.

He seems to come in and take different angles to the net or to the slot to get into that great position in the zone to release his wrister but there always seems to be a backchekcer on his ass or a defenseman in his face blocking the shot.

I dont know if thats a result of him slowing down, being rusty or hurt, or that most teams have realized his usual track to the goal. Could be a combination of all those things.

It also seems like hes not getting enough support coming from the side boards, and i think thats a team wide problem ,not enough support as a whole. JAgr takes the puck from the near corner and works out, and it looks like one forward takes the high guy, one to the point man and one or 2 to Jagr. Maybe he can't shake them as much as he used to and should give up the puck more and go to the net to take more defneders with him, therefore opening up the ice. Just stand in front of the net and send wristers in there.

What would happen if Jagr totally switched it up? He would gain the zone, drop it to Gomez or Drury and head straight to the net, taking one or two defenders with him? Hes a huge guy and would really screen the goalie well, especially having 2 guys on him. That would really open up the ice for the other quicker centers like Gomez and Drury and even Straka when he comes around. Maybe he should try that.
Hes strong enough to get rebounds and even work from beind the net where hes really dangerous - though he might take more of punishment

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 12:29 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Remember '05-'06 season, how many times he would bring the puck in and then dart across the middle for a shot?

He NEVER seems to do that anymore... I don't understand it...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 12:59 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Remember '05-'06 season, how many times he would bring the puck in and then dart across the middle for a shot?

Loss of confidence maybe?

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 01:02 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post

I think we've lost our 50 goal scorer, but not our 80 assist maker.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 01:25 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

See this post for my thoughts:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=426152

RANGERDIEHARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
He is older and emotionally needy. I am sure he is still pissed about losing Nylander. He also clearly doesn't have chemistry with his linemates yet (and, I guess, doesn't even have linemates yet... at least not ones that are guaranteed to be the same every game.) And his history shows that he is "only" a ppg player when he's like this.

However, he is still Jagr. At some point this season, by pure force of will, he will ratchet up his game. I will be shocked and amazed if he doesn't end up with 60 assists.

He will turn 36 this season and carries 250 pounds around. It's almost unheard of that a player with his playing style carried his tremendous level of play into his mid-30s. Sakic is 60 pounds lighter which is one of the reasons (aside from being one of the many ******* children of the God of Hockey) that he is enjoying continued success. The stress on Jagr's body is much greater. His weight led to his strength and momentum which made it almost impossible to knock him off the puck. If it is now a burden then he really needs to change his physique and playing style.

But, once again, he's Jagr and should be able to play the game on his terms.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 01:49 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
He is older and emotionally needy. I am sure he is still pissed about losing Nylander. He also clearly doesn't have chemistry with his linemates yet (and, I guess, doesn't even have linemates yet... at least not ones that are guaranteed to be the same every game.) And his history shows that he is "only" a ppg player when he's like this.

However, he is still Jagr. At some point this season, by pure force of will, he will ratchet up his game. I will be shocked and amazed if he doesn't end up with 60 assists.

He will turn 36 this season and carries 250 pounds around. It's almost unheard of that a player with his playing style carried his tremendous level of play into his mid-30s. Sakic is 60 pounds lighter which is one of the reasons (aside from being one of the many ******* children of the God of Hockey) that he is enjoying continued success. The stress on Jagr's body is much greater. His weight led to his strength and momentum which made it almost impossible to knock him off the puck. If it is now a burden then he really needs to change his physique and playing style.

But, once again, he's Jagr and should be able to play the game on his terms.
Jagr is not 250 pounds, never has been, he was 242-245 ish at the end of last season, but now he's 225. That's still a pretty big weight to carry around, but not so much. We have some heavier people.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 01:56 PM
Edge

Jagr, like Shanahan, will be fine.

The risk with older players is that any given season could be "that" season. The year when they just aren't the same.

But again, I think right now it's all about chemistry.

Is Jagr likely to get 50 goals and 125 points again? Probably not, but if he nets 30 and gets 95-100 points, I'm okay with that.

Is Shanahan a 40 goal, 85 point, 150 pim player? No, but I think he gets his 25-30 and fights when needed.

If/when this team clicks, I don't see it as a one horse chariot. I think Jagr and Shanahan are your leaders, but if everything clicks I think you're going to see balanced scoring. You might not have one guy who finishes in the top 15 in goals, but you might have six or seven guys who are in the 15-25 goal range.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
Jagr is not 250 pounds, never has been, he was 242-245 ish at the end of last season, but now he's 225. That's still a pretty big weight to carry around, but not so much. We have some heavier people.
My bad, I thought he put on weight in the offseason.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 02:44 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
He looks injured.
I was going to say he acts injured. Most notably, he's not setting up for those one timers between the point and the half-boards on the PP, a mainstay of the PP last year. Something to do with the old shoulder injury? Perhaps it's just tough to step into those shots if his hip isn't 100%?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote