HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

My First League Game is TONIGHT!

Old
10-15-2007, 10:31 AM
BuddehJuS

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
I tabulated it today and I had about 6 scoring chances compared to my none the first game, so that feels like a genuine improvement on my part. Every game I feel like I'm gaining and learning so much more. For example, on my team I need to hold the puck way longer and look to shoot more so then pass. Just right now, with the skill level on the team, I just can't afford to pass due to the fact that it will be consistently turned over not saying I don't but there is a far less chance of it if I hold onto it. Also, I have good size to me, I need to use it by going into traffic areas and gaining puck possession. But, the team has a bunch of nice guys which makes the experience more enjoyable, though I am the youngest guy on the team by about 7 years or so. Haha.

I really can't wait till my next game. I'm going to get on the statsheet if it kills me! We play a team called the Ice Holes. lol

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 11:17 AM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Watch out for those dam Iceholes...heard they're some dirty sons of b****** LoL

Good luck and let us know how it went...go get a Gordie Howe Hatrick lol

-B

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 12:27 PM
EmptyNetter

Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself. That's the most important thing.
Do any of your team mates join you in your open hockey games? If you could get even 3 guys to join you (and play on the same team) I think you'd see a drastic improvement. Just getting them to handle passes properly would be a big deal.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddehJuS View Post
I tabulated it today and I had about 6 scoring chances compared to my none the first game, so that feels like a genuine improvement on my part. Every game I feel like I'm gaining and learning so much more. For example, on my team I need to hold the puck way longer and look to shoot more so then pass. Just right now, with the skill level on the team, I just can't afford to pass due to the fact that it will be consistently turned over not saying I don't but there is a far less chance of it if I hold onto it. Also, I have good size to me, I need to use it by going into traffic areas and gaining puck possession. But, the team has a bunch of nice guys which makes the experience more enjoyable, though I am the youngest guy on the team by about 7 years or so. Haha.

I really can't wait till my next game. I'm going to get on the statsheet if it kills me! We play a team called the Ice Holes. lol
The next several months are going to be very exciting for you. On the flip side, you may have a few games where you feel crappy. Nevertheless, keep playing hard each time. I started playing almost 2 years ago, and am in my 4th season now, and I'm improving all the time. Some games are better than others, so always keep a positive mind.

KEEP PLAYING PICK UP HOCKEY! Even though its not as competitive as the league games, the lack of pressure is the PERFECT oppurtunity to try new things. Its the best confidence booster, imo.

Have fun! playing hockey is sooooooooooooooooooooo awesome

EDIT: Oh yeah, one more thing. Coming from myself, who is a stats *****, remember that being on the score sheet isn't the only way to help the team. Be a good two way forward, and support your D. Even though back/fore checking doesn't get recorded, its just as important. Support your D. Don't be so 1-dimensional.

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I hear you, it's a totally different beast between open hockey and league.

Just had my first few games on a mini tourney this weekend, we went 0-3 over the weekend. I'm used to scoring a couple goals each pickup session but I had trouble just getting to the net. Granted we have a new team that went 0-19-1 in a lower division last year and we had to have an emergency defensive positioning 101 class, but it's quite a challenge. You have to actually rely on teammates instead of being able to do everything yourself

Seriously though, the league play really brings out more than just offense. When you get scored on in open hockey, it's "oh well, let's get one back." But in league, every little play that gets broken up and the clears are victories. Being on the PK was a rush, as was rushing back to cover for D on a breakaway.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

I'm typically pretty offensively minded, but I try to stay as multi-dimensional as possible - but as much as it sucks to be killing a penalty, I actually enjoy it. There's no scoring responsibility, and you get to focus ONLY on defense. And nothing is better then winning a battle on the boards and slapping the puck out of the zone and hearing the grunts and moans of the opposition as they rush back to the puck.

Fun stuff

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 06:20 PM
BuddehJuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_i_movemenT View Post
I'm typically pretty offensively minded, but I try to stay as multi-dimensional as possible - but as much as it sucks to be killing a penalty, I actually enjoy it. There's no scoring responsibility, and you get to focus ONLY on defense. And nothing is better then winning a battle on the boards and slapping the puck out of the zone and hearing the grunts and moans of the opposition as they rush back to the puck.

Fun stuff
I'm very offensively-minded, as much as I understand hockey is played at both ends of the ice. I want to be the go to guy for offense since I haven't been the go to guy in any other sport I've attempted. So, it feels good to be the main guy for once.

Old
10-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Hank19

Quote:
I'm very offensively-minded, as much as I understand hockey is played at both ends of the ice. I want to be the go to guy for offense since I haven't been the go to guy in any other sport I've attempted. So, it feels good to be the main guy for once.
Absolutely. Coming back to help out is fine, but last time I checked the Selke didn't get passed out in beer leagues.
Beer leagues and pick up games are for fun. And if you can be a 'go-to guy' then by all means have fun generating offense. In my experience most beer games are won by the best offensive teams. You can't win if you don't score goals.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 07:38 PM
BuddehJuS

Well, tonight we play the iceholes. They as well are a winless team. They have 7GF and 12GA while we have 2GF and 18GA so I dunno how it's gonna go but I hope we aren't decimated. We are still the only team without PIMs yet tho which can be accounted for something I guess.

Anyway, I'll tell you guys how it goes when I get back! =D

Old
10-25-2007, 05:10 PM
BuddehJuS

Aye aye aye! We lost 7-1. No biggie really. I got a good 5-6 to six scoring chances, I just need to figure out to convert on them. We're starting to come together as a team which is good but we just don't have the skill level as a team to compete. I mean the 2nd best skater and I'm having to skate around 2 defenders at all times and I'm not good enough to do that....yet. I'm kinda mad I'm being help off the scoresheet tho....but I know once I get my first it will be sweet bliss.

Old
10-28-2007, 11:51 AM
BuddehJuS

Well, tonight we play the Renegades and I'm jacked to play though a bit tired. I didn't get much of a nap. I can feel my first goal coming, it's just a matter of time.

Old
10-28-2007, 06:10 PM
cicontention

Quote:
Well, tonight we play the Renegades and I'm jacked to play though a bit tired. I didn't get much of a nap. I can feel my first goal coming, it's just a matter of time.
I'm in the same boat as you, man. Let me know how it goes. I feel like every little bit of improvement helps, too!

cicontention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2007, 08:10 AM
dynasty3

I am curious, where are you located in the US? Good luck on your game tonight.

dynasty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2007, 11:52 AM
BuddehJuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynasty3 View Post
I am curious, where are you located in the US? Good luck on your game tonight.
The wonderful snowy state of Florida!

Well, we lost 8-0 last night. I'm still just generating chances and such but they are not converting. I almost had any Ovy style goal last night though. I fell to the ice and tried to slide the shot in while lying on my back. The goalie read it though. We get about a week and half off then back to league. I can get a few open hockey sessions in tho.

Old
11-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Hank19

Quote:
Aye aye aye! We lost 7-1. No biggie really. I got a good 5-6 to six scoring chances, I just need to figure out to convert on them. We're starting to come together as a team which is good but we just don't have the skill level as a team to compete. I mean the 2nd best skater and I'm having to skate around 2 defenders at all times and I'm not good enough to do that....yet. I'm kinda mad I'm being help off the scoresheet tho....but I know once I get my first it will be sweet bliss.
I scored my first goal of the season this past Monday. It was nice getting the monkey off my back. I should seriously have 10 goals by now. But that's what happens when someone pours cement into your gloves.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Get everyone's e-mail address on your team and have them watch this video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=g_SDvPAKt1w

We must have watched that 20 times before it started to sink in. We lost 3-2, 2-1, and 3-2 in the "preseason" tournament, and just won our first game 5-1. The video REALLY helped get the basics down.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote