HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Dreger compliments John Stevens.

Old
10-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Dreger compliments John Stevens.

Quote:
But, John Stevens deserves his share of the credit for the Flyers quick start and an example of his ability to lead this team was delivered after the first period of Thursday's game versus the New Jersey Devils.

The Devils out shot the Flyers 15-2 in the first period and Philadelphia escaped the frame unscathed only through the heroics of Biron.

Stevens was steamed and confronted his players in the intermission with a reminder of how successful New Jersey has been in the past in feeding off their opposition's frustration. He announced he's tired of hearing about New Jersey's dominance and challenged his players by saying this is our time to get noticed.

The Flyers responded with 3 goals in the second period en route to a 4-0 win.
link

That's kind of neat.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 11:41 PM
27roenick97

for as much as we trash him--i still think he has the personality of a cardboard box--he looks to have this team figured and under control. so, props to him.

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 11:49 PM
Yoshimitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27roenick97 View Post
for as much as we trash him--i still think he has the personality of a cardboard box--he looks to have this team figured and under control. so, props to him.
You're giving his personality too much credit.

But I like him as a coach.

Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Winston Wolf

This would mean something to me if Dreger wasn't a moron.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 12:17 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
I thought the same thing at first, but I really only get on Dreger's case when he's complaining about fighting or pretending to have inside info on trades.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 02:45 AM
Chainsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
Dreger is a ********* Goof!

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 06:06 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I thought the same thing at first, but I really only get on Dreger's case when he's complaining about fighting or pretending to have inside info on trades.

Exactly, he's come up with some real out there "rumors". But I suppose everyone has. I guess its just the fact he thinks he's quite the insider.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 07:58 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
i just want to see a little more passion from stevens. i've never seen him agitated or fired up behind the bench. not saying that flipping out is key to being a good coach, but looking apathetic can't be a good thing either.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 08:24 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
The blind squirrel finds the nut, I suppose.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 09:44 AM
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
i just want to see a little more passion from stevens. i've never seen him agitated or fired up behind the bench. not saying that flipping out is key to being a good coach, but looking apathetic can't be a good thing either.
Apparently he keeps the passion in the locker room according to that article...I dunno if that is a bad thing. I know a lot of soccer players prefer more hands off coaches in game but pre-game and at half they can understand getting on the players and stuff. So I am not sure which I want to see from him.

KevinLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Why? It doesn't make a difference how he acts as long as he gets his message across. Flipping out isn't always the best way to treat your players and refs quickly lose respect for hot-headed coaches who yell all the time.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Darken

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that at least during intermissions Stevens is figuring out how to motivate this team. It also helps that he has players now that can reinforce his message. I agree about the personality comments mentioned early, although I will say his press conferences are a little more animated this year

Darken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 09:59 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Why? It doesn't make a difference how he acts as long as he gets his message across. Flipping out isn't always the best way to treat your players and refs quickly lose respect for hot-headed coaches who yell all the time.
This is true. And people think he's nuts. I've played a team in a house league once that had a coach yelling at them all the time, it was a lower down 18+ league, why would you want someone yelling at you all the time? I'm sure Stevens picks a great way to get the point across in the locker room, otherwise what they are doing now wouldn't be working.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 10:08 AM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnightRU View Post
This is true. And people think he's nuts. I've played a team in a house league once that had a coach yelling at them all the time, it was a lower down 18+ league, why would you want someone yelling at you all the time? I'm sure Stevens picks a great way to get the point across in the locker room, otherwise what they are doing now wouldn't be working.
Agreed. Yelling is RARELY a good motivator. It may work initially, but people get tired. I believe that was one of the problems with Hartley. You have to be assertive, and motivating, but not emotional.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
Agreed. Yelling is RARELY a good motivator. It may work initially, but people get tired. I believe that was one of the problems with Hartley. You have to be assertive, and motivating, but not emotional.
you gotta break it out at the right time to get the right result... otherwise it just blends into the background, rather than being a whip to get you going.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 10:29 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
you gotta break it out at the right time to get the right result... otherwise it just blends into the background, rather than being a whip to get you going.
It's also been a point of view from a lot of things. Think of your boss. If he comes down and says "Can you do this?" or "Next time try this." you're more likely to consider it. If he comes down yelling "FREAKING DO THIS." You're going to be thinking "**** him" and likely won't, unless it involves you getting fired. Things like this is what we call "People skills."

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 11:57 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnightRU View Post
It's also been a point of view from a lot of things. Think of your boss. If he comes down and says "Can you do this?" or "Next time try this." you're more likely to consider it. If he comes down yelling "FREAKING DO THIS." You're going to be thinking "**** him" and likely won't, unless it involves you getting fired. Things like this is what we call "People skills."
That's not really the best analogy. I doubt any of us have jobs that we need to get fired up to perform. If we get pissy, we'll just screw around. If a millionaire athlete gets pissed off, he takes it out on the other team. The coach just has to know when to apply the tough love. Too much of it and the players are no longer pissed at their opponents but just at the coach and each other. Not enough and they get apathetic. So far Stevens seems to be balancing it pretty well. It reminds me of Miracle (at least the movie, I'm a bit young to know the real thing):

Herb Brooks: A bruise on the leg is a hell of a long way from the heart, candy ass.
Rob McClanahan: What'd you call me?
Herb Brooks: You heard me!
Rob McClanahan: You want me to play huh? Is that what you want?
Herb Brooks: I want you to be a hockey player!
Rob McClanahan: I AM A HOCKEY PLAYER! YOU WANT ME TO PLAY ON ONE LEG? HUH? I'LL PLAY ON ONE LEG!
Herb Brooks: [walking out of the locker room with McClanahan still screaming] That'll get him going.

The guy knew when to apply the tough love to get everything out of his players.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 01:50 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

well, i agree that he shouldnt be a maniac and start yelling at everyone, but there's a difference between showing energy and emotion and flipping out. maybe its working, considering the season's start, but i've always done better in sports when i had an energetic and dynamic coach as opposed to someone who just told me what to do.

guess im just not a fan of the default arms-crossed lips-pursed stance that he has perfected.

Old
10-22-2007, 03:15 PM
tytech

Quote:
What? In their only loss this year he sure was ripping up the team. I saw him cursing and yelling after a goal was scored and our first line was on the ice. I was very impressed. Last year he didn't say one word and I remember thinking he'd be a softie but it took me this year to realize that he had to be a softie. No coach could have turned things around for us last year. Stevens took his time, gained respect, let the season play out and now he's ready to really coach.

Again, he ripped them in their one loss, we'll see more of his personality or coaching techniques come out once they lose a couple.

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 03:43 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

oh really? must have missed that. i stand corrected then.

last year, he was quite the wallflower.

Old
10-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Dr Love

Yelling at your employees in front of other people isn't a good thing. Do it behind closed doors, and that's what it appears Stevens does.

Dr Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 04:25 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I actually think that for all the Stevens bashing that's happened here, he's actually done a pretty good job. The most important thing is that we have people here to help him now, the PP is 5th in the league and Richards scored a huge PP goal in that Carolina game (great idea to move him to the point). The PK is also 12th and getting better, they had a huge kill very late in the Carolina game.

Most importantly, I'm really liking the attitude of this team and the way they all stick up for each other. I'm not saying that Stevens deserves all the credit for this, but the coach does help to set the mood in the locker room and Stevens has done a really good job of that so far.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote