One problem with this team so far is obvious.. Injury to Avery. Avery not on the ice is not providing the momentum that the teams need through 60 minutes. No one else is out there getting in the opponents face, or drawing penaltys.
Another problem seems to be our team taking too many penaltys. Thankfully, we have a solid penalty kill, but so far, we are taking rediculas penaltys like goalie interference, holding, and rediculas hooking calls.
A big problem, started with Hossa's injury. As soon as Hossa got injured, we shove a Pack on the 1st line! Dawes is a great player, but why put him on the 1st line, if he was not able to make the team in the first place? We could have easily placed him on the 3rd like, and brought up either Prucha or Shanny onto the 1st. A couple times in the game vs Boston, Dawes had some good set up's from Jagr and Gomez, but could not score/actually receive the pass.
Other than this, the team has been playing fine. The defence is playing solid(except for the some of them being way to slow), We are getting alot of scoring chances, and our PK is solid.
Enough of the "we miss Nylander" crap. he's nothing special and only has 4 points vs Drury's 6. I agree something has to change, but for gods sake guys, the solution is not bringing back mediocre players that we let walk this summer.
This Nylander stuff has to end.
In two years the Rangers will still have Gomez and Drury and theyll be useful. Nylander could be retired by then and Jagr surely will too.
BTW, Gomez frustrated the **** out of me in Boston, he couldnt handle, pass or shoot the puck - was he drunk or something? or was the ice that bad?
He is hurt for the first time. He will be back nursing sore arm, tentative to use his body fully, not yet knowing that he's gonna be alright at some point. His shot will be weaker. If this injury will not end Avery as we know him ( I hope it wont!) it will take time for him to become Sean we know again. Remember Prucha's sprained knee? That was a season and a half ago... Only now he is Prucha that we'd like to see.
I think with the high expectations, everyone on this team is pressing and it's making things worse. You can't point at just one person or one issue.
1. Avery and Hossa have been hurt. Now Straka
2. The team lacks chemisty. The forwards have been shifted around, a lot. The defensemen are getting angry if they sit for too long and think that they should be playing over some one else.
3. Jagr is lacking agility and swiftness.
4. Shanny can't find the back of the net, though he leads the league in shots.
5. Prucha is getting caught with his head down and flattened regularly. He's not the same firey, energetic player as a result.
6. Malik's poor skating is being exposed.
7. The team can't sustain and fluidity because everyone is pressing and trying too hard. There is pressure for the team to get off to a fast start. There is pressue on new players showing their worth their contracts. There are players in the final year of their contracts and want to make sure they land a large one for next year. The defensemen are all trying to prove they deserve a playing time. All of this is leading to individaul play and not a fluid team game.
There should be a minor deal to clear out a defensemen and a solidifying of the offensive lines. Pair up a winger and center and keep them together, for everything, no matter what, including during specialty teams. The third winger, rotate around if you must. Give things time to work. Once this team gets a few wins, and everyone stops pressing so much, then they'll begin to hit on all cylinders.
A big problem, started with Hossa's injury. As soon as Hossa got injured, we shove a Pack on the 1st line! Dawes is a great player, but why put him on the 1st line, if he was not able to make the team in the first place?
Dawes's not making the team did not have much to do with performance. He outplayed Hossa in the preseason by a pretty wide margin and has been far from the problem when it comes to not scoring.