HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Bandwaggon...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-20-2004, 11:08 PM
  #1
fcbarcelona
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,601
vCash: 500
Montreal Bandwaggon...

Avs fan here. I'm thankful for RDS as I have a great opportunity to catch all of the avs games. Now given that the Habs are my favorite Canadian hockey club and Eastern Conference team, I'll be cheering for you guys pretty hard when/if the Avs are knocked out of the playoffs. I believe Montreal will make it to the Cup finals given the team's awesome transition game and great mental fortitude.

I just got one question for ya'll....if Garon continues to develop well and has clearly proven the ability to become a number one goalie (such that a goalie controversy in Montreal develops)...would the Canadiens trade either one of them? I know the Avs would want in some of that action right away.

fcbarcelona is offline  
Old
03-20-2004, 11:21 PM
  #2
Haddock
Registered User
 
Haddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moulinsart
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 500
I think Garon should be trade this summer. Of course if it was up to me, I would keep such a great back-up goalie but he's way too good for a simple role like that.
Garon will probably want to see more action too.
I say trade him, he's worth something good and we have one of the best in Theo.

Haddock is offline  
Old
03-20-2004, 11:25 PM
  #3
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericholic19
Avs fan here. I'm thankful for RDS as I have a great opportunity to catch all of the avs games. Now given that the Habs are my favorite Canadian hockey club and Eastern Conference team, I'll be cheering for you guys pretty hard when/if the Avs are knocked out of the playoffs. I believe Montreal will make it to the Cup finals given the team's awesome transition game and great mental fortitude.

I just got one question for ya'll....if Garon continues to develop well and has clearly proven the ability to become a number one goalie (such that a goalie controversy in Montreal develops)...would the Canadiens trade either one of them? I know the Avs would want in some of that action right away.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

you guys looking for another patrick roy?lol...imho,the goaltenders you have now
salo /ashbisher got you a little nervous?you guys truley miss patrick roy thats for sure.
yes i assume that in the next year or so we will have a battle of the goalies in montreal,but right now i think garon is content to play second fiddle.
if and when we trade one of those two,dont expect another sweet heart deal like we gave when we practically gave you guys roy...
fooled us once when we had incompetent management ,but we wont be fooled 2 times..(atleast i hope not..lol)
garon for tanguay and ?


Last edited by Artyukhin*: 03-20-2004 at 11:36 PM.
Artyukhin* is offline  
Old
03-20-2004, 11:55 PM
  #4
fcbarcelona
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,601
vCash: 500
No way tanger is involved. The duo of salo/aebi hasn't made me nervous. In fact, the avs goaltending has been the most reliable asset of the team this year so far. I would even agrue that Aebischer has been the team's MVP with his consistency. But he's not an elite goalie and I know there is superstar potential in Garon. Pierre Lacroix no doubt knows this and is keeping tabs with the Montreal situation. Also, its highly unlikely Garon would be traded within the East and with the Avs being the team in the west with serous interest in Garon, I doubt the Canadiens can steal Tanguay or Hejduk from the Avs. Realistically, the best the Avs may offer up would be Liles and/or Gratton. But if by chance Tanguay's name comes up in "potential trade discussion", Colorado would no doubt want Zednik as well.

fcbarcelona is offline  
Old
03-21-2004, 12:16 AM
  #5
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericholic19
No way tanger is involved. The duo of salo/aebi hasn't made me nervous. In fact, the avs goaltending has been the most reliable asset of the team this year so far. I would even agrue that Aebischer has been the team's MVP with his consistency. But he's not an elite goalie and I know there is superstar potential in Garon. Pierre Lacroix no doubt knows this and is keeping tabs with the Montreal situation. Also, its highly unlikely Garon would be traded within the East and with the Avs being the team in the west with serous interest in Garon, I doubt the Canadiens can steal Tanguay or Hejduk from the Avs. Realistically, the best the Avs may offer up would be Liles and/or Gratton. But if by chance Tanguay's name comes up in "potential trade discussion", Colorado would no doubt want Zednik as well.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
you dont think chris gratton will get your garon do you.?..
if thats the deal,we could have traded for the overpriced, unachiver gratton in phoneix,thanks but no thanks and im sure lots will agree with me.
something better than that.if ashbisher is all that, there is no need for you guys to even inquier about garon..lol..
i agree garon for tanguay is out of the question ,and wouldnt happen but garon for gratton is outta the question.

be happy with asbicher he got 30 wins and you got another goalie named salo that when hot can keep up with any goalie in the leauge..
best of luck in the playoffs

Artyukhin* is offline  
Old
03-21-2004, 12:27 AM
  #6
Raider917
Registered User
 
Raider917's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,679
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
you dont think chris gratton will get your garon do you.?..
if thats the deal,we could have traded for the overpriced, unachiver gratton in phoneix,thanks but no thanks and im sure lots will agree with me.
something better than that.if ashbisher is all that, there is no need for you guys to even inquier about garon..lol..
i agree garon for tanguay is out of the question ,and wouldnt happen but garon for gratton is outta the question.

be happy with asbicher he got 30 wins and you got another goalie named salo that when hot can keep up with any goalie in the leauge..
best of luck in the playoffs
i hope garon doesnt get dealt this off-season. if he does though, wouldnt their be more than one team interested? STL, COL and VAN in the west could be interested. if he doesnt get dealt though and plays 25 games next year, the bidding war in the west could get profitable.

Raider917 is offline  
Old
03-21-2004, 02:52 AM
  #7
fcbarcelona
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
you dont think chris gratton will get your garon do you.?..
i didn't say that deal would land garon as i only said its probably the max the avs may be willing to offer. i'm also happy with aebischer, but if there is potential for an upgrade at such an important position...its worth pursuing for sure.


Last edited by fcbarcelona: 03-21-2004 at 02:56 AM.
fcbarcelona is offline  
Old
03-21-2004, 02:55 AM
  #8
fcbarcelona
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917
i hope garon doesnt get dealt this off-season. if he does though, wouldnt their be more than one team interested? STL, COL and VAN in the west could be interested. if he doesnt get dealt though and plays 25 games next year, the bidding war in the west could get profitable.
this is very true. although the nux seem content with cloutier (they would also be hard pressed to get rid of him as well although I don't know his contract status), i can imagine all three teams going hard after garon. but, the avs and blues have limited prospect depth. on the other hand, the avs do have tanguay as potential trade bait, but its highly unlikely alex will be traded (though I am talking about the unpredictable lacroix here).

fcbarcelona is offline  
Old
03-21-2004, 10:25 AM
  #9
Dan K
HFBoards Partner
 
Dan K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericholic19
this is very true. although the nux seem content with cloutier (they would also be hard pressed to get rid of him as well although I don't know his contract status), i can imagine all three teams going hard after garon. but, the avs and blues have limited prospect depth. on the other hand, the avs do have tanguay as potential trade bait, but its highly unlikely alex will be traded (though I am talking about the unpredictable lacroix here).
Right, and besides, imho Kariya and Selanne won't be back in Colorado for the next NHL season, so the Avs will not have the super duper mega scoring depth they have now, meaning Tanguay is likely to stay.

Dan K is offline  
Old
03-21-2004, 11:22 AM
  #10
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericholic19
Realistically, the best the Avs may offer up would be Liles and/or Gratton.
Well if it's the best COL can do, I do not see them as good trading partners for Garon talks. Liles is good no doubt, but is of no need in Montreal with similar players in Markov, Hainsey and to a lesser extent Brisebois. If anything, the Habs will try to get bigger on the right side of their D. Boychuk is the only name that could be of interest aside from Tanguay, but I'm not sure Gainey would be tempted. Garon is now a proven reliable backup and since Theodore isn't the biggest/strongest goalie in the league, he cannot play 70+ games a year like Brodeur and needs a good #2 to rest at times. As for Gratton, meh. Never liked him and never will. So I'm biased and therefore won't comment.

Bob Gainey is a very patient man and I would be shocked if he was looking to deal Garon who's role has been important within the team this year. If he was to go (maybe in a package deal to get more), the offer would have to be damn good, not only in terms of value but especially need (ie, a big physical right-handed center, ala Scatchard, a scoring power-winger to play on Koivu's or Ribeiro's line, or a big physical and offensively gifted right-handed Dman, like Phillipe Boucher).

Munchausen is offline  
Old
03-21-2004, 12:49 PM
  #11
Rectificator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericholic19
Avs fan here. I'm thankful for RDS as I have a great opportunity to catch all of the avs games. Now given that the Habs are my favorite Canadian hockey club and Eastern Conference team, I'll be cheering for you guys pretty hard when/if the Avs are knocked out of the playoffs. I believe Montreal will make it to the Cup finals given the team's awesome transition game and great mental fortitude.

I just got one question for ya'll....if Garon continues to develop well and has clearly proven the ability to become a number one goalie (such that a goalie controversy in Montreal develops)...would the Canadiens trade either one of them? I know the Avs would want in some of that action right away.
I personnally think you have a great number one named Abischer that you have to keep and develop, I think he is underrated and will be better than Garon...

The actual problem with your team is the way you play in front of him, you are atrocious defensively and I don'T think you will go far iN the playoffs! In fact, I would be surprised if you pass the first round!

Rectificator is offline  
Old
03-22-2004, 05:50 PM
  #12
bopeep
Registered User
 
bopeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: habcouver
Posts: 613
vCash: 500
How about Garon = Avs 1st (26 or 27) in 2004 + ?

bopeep is offline  
Old
03-22-2004, 07:03 PM
  #13
Guy Caballero
Registered User
 
Guy Caballero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bopeep
How about Garon = Avs 1st (26 or 27) in 2004 + ?
This is a situation where I could see Garon moved. I think he could be dangled as bait if there was a player Savard/Gainey really wanted at the draft but weren't in a position to get. He won't be traded for a high-paid veteran. Personally, I'd like to keep him around for as long as possible. Unless he's part of a package for a serious blue-chip pick or an elite young star, we're not going to get what he's worth.

Guy Caballero is offline  
Old
03-22-2004, 08:08 PM
  #14
Winston Wolf
Registered User
 
Winston Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oahu, HI
Posts: 7,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericholic19
I just got one question for ya'll....if Garon continues to develop well and has clearly proven the ability to become a number one goalie (such that a goalie controversy in Montreal develops)...would the Canadiens trade either one of them? I know the Avs would want in some of that action right away.
I highly doubt the Avs will acquire a goaltender with Aebischer, Sauve, and Budaj all in the system. I don't see them getting a guy unless Aebischer is terrible in the playoffs, but if that happens I could only see them acquiring a clear-cut number one guy, not someone unproven like Garon when they already have the same in Sauve and Budaj.

Winston Wolf is offline  
Old
03-22-2004, 11:23 PM
  #15
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Greenland
Posts: 25,880
vCash: 500
Trading Garon would be a mistake. Who takes over, Michaud? no Danis? no Fichaud? no Damphousse? no

Garon is signed for 2 more years, Theo will be in a contract year. If we try and get Garon a few more games next year and he continues to play well or maybe even better, as it had to be tough on him going so long without any starts. Next year is a much better draft, we'll have a better idea of what contract Theo will be getting (say another 3 year deal?) plus we'll be able to see what Danis/Michaud can do in Hamilton. I can't see them getting Tarasov back, cause he's got a ton of experience and has been playing much better this season then last year (was the 2nd star against Korneev's team the other day) but I would be surprised if they got Tarasov to come back (he's still an RFA, and if he wanted to come back that would be great, I had high hopes for him) Puurula is also doing well but who knows if he would come over and how he would do.

Basicly, there's no one to take over for Garon, and if we wait a year, we'll get a better draft pick cause the '05 draft looks more like the '03 draft, and Garon could get even better (which is what I think, as I think Garon is a top notch goalie)

montreal is online now  
Old
03-22-2004, 11:27 PM
  #16
Les Zarbites
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: En tounoi avec Theo? Bonn chan!
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectificator
I personnally think you have a great number one named Abischer that you have to keep and develop, I think he is underrated and will be better than Garon...

The actual problem with your team is the way you play in front of him, you are atrocious defensively and I don'T think you will go far iN the playoffs! In fact, I would be surprised if you pass the first round!
Welcome back Plekanec ! :p

Les Zarbites is offline  
Old
03-23-2004, 02:45 AM
  #17
MattScott
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 399
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MattScott
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Trading Garon would be a mistake. Who takes over, Michaud? no Danis? no Fichaud? no Damphousse? no

Garon is signed for 2 more years, Theo will be in a contract year. If we try and get Garon a few more games next year and he continues to play well or maybe even better, as it had to be tough on him going so long without any starts. Next year is a much better draft, we'll have a better idea of what contract Theo will be getting (say another 3 year deal?) plus we'll be able to see what Danis/Michaud can do in Hamilton. I can't see them getting Tarasov back, cause he's got a ton of experience and has been playing much better this season then last year (was the 2nd star against Korneev's team the other day) but I would be surprised if they got Tarasov to come back (he's still an RFA, and if he wanted to come back that would be great, I had high hopes for him) Puurula is also doing well but who knows if he would come over and how he would do.

Basicly, there's no one to take over for Garon, and if we wait a year, we'll get a better draft pick cause the '05 draft looks more like the '03 draft, and Garon could get even better (which is what I think, as I think Garon is a top notch goalie)
Exactly, we have no replacement at this time... Although I dont' think it would be that hard to go out and sign a free agent/veteran back up next season. It's just that I don't think Garon's status has risen as high as it might. Sure he's played great again this year, but it's not like Theo's been injured or anything to give Garon that exposure he'll need to truly make a name for himself.

Trading Garon to the Avs doesn't make that much sense for the Avs unless they think he'll be the starter, and they seem content with Aebischer, and for good reason. Because I really doubt Gainey deals a great, young, cheap tender with as much potential as him for anything less than great return.

MattScott is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.