HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Powerplay troubles

Old
10-24-2007, 09:40 PM
John Torturella

vCash: 500
Powerplay troubles

It seems logical to me that a big problem with this team is the powerplay and the lack of a pure pointman.

We need a guy that can be the setup guy from the point and he also obviously neds to be a threat shooting the puck.

Chris Drury on the point is not working very well. I dont remember him playing the point when we played Buffalo. He doesnt look very comfortable there and as it always seems to be with free agent signings, we are misusuing him. He did not play the point in Buffalo from what I remember. He gets most of his goals from the slot and the lower circle areas, not shooting from the point.

We need a guy that will run our powerplay kind of like Leetch but he doesnt have to have half of Leetch's skill with all the weapons we have.

Another thing on our powerplay is we need to split up the powerplay units. Our first unit always has Drury, Shanny, Jagr, Gomez and Straka.(before his injury) I think we need to seperate the big guns into 2 units to look more like these:

Forward line1
Shanny-Drury-Callahan

Forward line 2
Prucha-Gomez-Jagr

But whether we have to trade for a point guy or use someone from within the system, I feel it would improve the team. It would allow us to use Drury the way he should be used. Drury on our point is throwing his strengths out the window.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 09:53 PM
gallagt01

Drury's best utilized in front of the net or on the goal line, for the record. I'm a bit thrown off by hearing that he's been at the point.

gallagt01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 10:00 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looooooodman View Post
Drury's best utilized in front of the net or on the goal line, for the record. I'm a bit thrown off by hearing that he's been at the point.
He shouldn't be there, I don't know why Renney put him there. Most of his chances have come in front of the net

Probably because he moves the puck better than most of our other options

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Bretzky*

Girardi and Staal should be the points on the 1st powerplay unit. They move the puck as smooth as anyone. Girardi has a great shot, he doesn't use it as much at even strength. But him and Staal both shoot the puck on net very well.

Shanahan Drury Jagr
Girardi Staal

Prucha Gomez Hossa
Tyutin Rozsival

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 10:53 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

In due time our pointman problems will be no more.... Bobby S is on his way!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 10:54 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
In due time our pointman problems will be no more.... Bobby S is on his way!
Hopefully, can't wait. It'll be a while before he adjusts to everything though

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 06:57 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Everyone in the planet knows that when Jagr & Shanny are on the ice only Shanny will shoot. So goalies are aware of that. Until Jagr goes back to the mind set that he had before he hurt his shoulder and takes those bombs from the right side, the PKers know the NYRs PP game plan, it is one dimensional and not overly effective and very easy to defend.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 07:21 AM
shon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
Girardi and Staal should be the points on the 1st powerplay unit. They move the puck as smooth as anyone. Girardi has a great shot, he doesn't use it as much at even strength. But him and Staal both shoot the puck on net very well.

Shanahan Drury Jagr
Girardi Staal

Prucha Gomez Hossa
Tyutin Rozsival
Girardi does well on the point. you need a SMART right handed shot on the left side for the shot. He gets that beautiful goal. then really never sees much pp time .He could be groomed into your quarterback easily if given a chance.
Staal will will be good but I think it is early yet. He isn't as smart . I could see him getting caught too much. but he does like to shoot.
I got a brain wave.. put girardi or staal in from of the net. and have the forwards on the points. they have big bodies and I am sure wouldn't be afraid to be there.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 07:50 AM
shoothepuck

Besides most of what was mentioned above, they also seem to be reverting back to last seasons problems of passing way to much, and looking for the one perfect pass. A shake up is needed, and Renny needs to get this fixed fast.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Chimp

Put a screener in front of the goalie, make a pass so he has to move laterally and shoot. Snap up the rebounds. Cycle positions to make it more difficult for the defenders. Rinse and repeat. It's really not that complicated, but we're making it just that. This franchise absolutely sucks at screening goaltenders and I would kill to have a guy like Holmström on this team.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote