HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Pain on outside of both feet while skating

Old
10-25-2007, 01:12 AM
wombat

vCash: 500
Pain on outside of both feet while skating

I occasionally skate at my local rink during free skate and i can skate fine but the outside of my feet always hurt enough after skating for awhile that i have to stop skating by just leaning against the boards or sitting on the bench.

This happens all the time to me and i notice that other people skating at the rink don't have this problem and don't have to stop. I don't think the problem is my skates, my theory is since i only skate rarely the problem is the muscles on the outside of my feet aren't used to it and will eventually get better the more i skate.

Does that make sense? Or is something else the problem?

wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 01:18 AM
Ducks

depends on the type of pain you are having.

If it feels like your muscles are tired then that's normal if you are starting to skate, if I don't skate for a while my feet get tired too when i start again.

But if it's sharp uncomfortable pain, or it feels like bruising, or the pain is displaced into your shins then it's a bad fit.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 01:19 AM
Stripes

Sounds to me like your skates aren't wide enough.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 01:26 AM
Adam91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post

Ya you might need to punch them out

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 01:31 AM
wombat

Quote:
Ya you might need to punch them out
newbie question but what does that mean?

Quote:
If it feels like your muscles are tired then that's normal if you are starting to skate
Yea its more like a tired feeling. I only skate around an hour per week and I only started doing this 3 weeks ago after i didn't skate at all in the spring and summer. If that is the case any idea how much skating it would take for the pain to start going away?

wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 02:43 AM
the zamboni

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat View Post
newbie question but what does that mean?

Yea its more like a tired feeling. I only skate around an hour per week and I only started doing this 3 weeks ago after i didn't skate at all in the spring and summer. If that is the case any idea how much skating it would take for the pain to start going away?
Skate punching is basically where they take a machine and they can stretch or "punch" the skate to a certain extent. Helps to relieve pain from pressure points and such.

the zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 04:27 AM
vexXed

Wait, are you using the rink rental skates or do you have your own? Rental skates are just terrible and hurt everyones feet.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I get the same thing sometimes because my skates are stiff and I like them tied a bit tight.

You want the laces at your toe and your ankle to be very tight so your foot doesn't slide around, and the lace in the middle to be moderately tight or just a little looser than that to avoid foot pain. Give that a try and see if that helps.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 10:07 AM
Twist and Shout

Do you have flat feet?

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 10:34 AM
CheeseSandwich*

I have the same problem and I attribute it to having flat feet.

The only time it really bothers me is at the outdoor rink like you said. In games I sit on the bench between shifts and it goes away.

CheeseSandwich* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Twist and Shout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pete View Post

The only time it really bothers me is at the outdoor rink like you said. In games I sit on the bench between shifts and it goes away.
Why don't you get a skate with a wider base designed for people who have flat feet? I tolerated the pain all throughout my childhood until I got arch support and finally well-fitted skates. It's great to finish a shift and not spend the couple of minutes on the bench trying to work off the pain.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 10:56 AM
octopi

Try getting one of those Doctor Schol's inserts and put it in your skates.They are only $15 and I found they work wonders with regular shoes.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 10:58 AM
CheeseSandwich*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist And Shout View Post
Why don't you get a skate with a wider base designed for people who have flat feet? I tolerated the pain all throughout my childhood until I got arch support and finally well-fitted skates. It's great to finish a shift and not spend the couple of minutes on the bench trying to work off the pain.
who makes these skates?

CheeseSandwich* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 12:21 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I get the same thing sometimes because my skates are stiff and I like them tied a bit tight.

You want the laces at your toe and your ankle to be very tight so your foot doesn't slide around, and the lace in the middle to be moderately tight or just a little looser than that to avoid foot pain. Give that a try and see if that helps.
Was gonna say the same...my skates fit wonderfully, but I have a habit of lacing them too tight and the outsides of my feet hurt. Give loosening them up a try.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 02:05 PM
cuginarug

It sounds to me like it has to do with your skates. My whole life I've used bauer skates, then at the start of one season i switched to a set of ccm's. My feet were so sore i had to change back and have never had the same problem since.

The other posts relating to wide feet and the need for arch support may have something to them, most skates are modelled after a specific mold and you may have to find a skate that has a design specific to your feet. Altering your current pair may work but ask an experienced 'modifier' to have a look before you start alterring them.

cuginarug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 02:10 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
who makes these skates?
I don't think it's so much that the skate is specifically designed for people with flat feet as it is a skate brand that just happens to run wider than others.

As far as the OP, I'd guess that, like someone else said, your skates should probably be either the next width, or a brand that just runs wider. Did you get them at a pro shop where they measured your feet and had you try on different pairs and everything?

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 03:45 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Try getting one of those Doctor Schol's inserts and put it in your skates.They are only $15 and I found they work wonders with regular shoes.
If loosening the laces don't help a bit...then do try some insoles. But not Doctor Scholl's..get some made for skates. I like my Shock Doctor ones, but everyone raves about Superfeet inserts.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Hugh Madbrough

Superfeet are great.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 02:30 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:

I am also flat footed and have the same problem. It hurts like crazy and nobody understands.

I used to have the same problem with my roller hockey skates, but I bought some EEs which are wider and they work wonders, the pain is minimal now. I only get it for the first few games each season and it goes away for the rest of the year.

I'm going to try buying some EE hockey skates, maybe this year.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 02:41 PM
Taz

I occasionally get pains in my feet, its normally when i havn't skated for a while or my skates are too tight and a combo of the 2, i loosen them more and i feel alot better.

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 04:37 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I am also flat footed and have the same problem. It hurts like crazy and nobody understands.

I used to have the same problem with my roller hockey skates, but I bought some EEs which are wider and they work wonders, the pain is minimal now. I only get it for the first few games each season and it goes away for the rest of the year.

I'm going to try buying some EE hockey skates, maybe this year.
+1
my feet used to kill me when i skated, damn flat foot.
I asked a doctor and he told me, I should try a wide pair of skates.
I went to buy myself some Graf's (EE) and they work wonders. Have not had any pains since I baught them.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 12:15 AM
Adam91

Yes Graf EE's are many peoples solution to flat feet, if you find that still doesn't work I beleive Graf will make an entirely custom boot for you to incorperate your flat feet and hence for arch in your foot.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Hank19

I have the same issue and it's because I have a very high arch in my feet.
I got some of those orthopedic insoles (Dr.Sholes) and it's worked wonders.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 10:28 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
totally.
dont tighten them as much on the mid-level laces. just make them a little "snug", going to tight kills.

this was happening to me with my stiff-ass roller boots (mission level 9000000,00000 stiffness)

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 11:14 PM
vcx*

My flat feet got soo bad with the pain that i would refuse to skate anymore and because of that i think my ankles just got weaker.

It sucks, i want to play again for the next season for the league i am in but i need to strengthen my ankles (tore tendons in my right ankle years ago and it still hasn't healed properly) and find a way to play through the pain of the flat feet that get me blisters.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote