HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Appreciating Canadian Fans

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2004, 09:05 AM
oil slick

vCash: 500
Appreciating Canadian Fans

Firstly I'd like to say that I really appreciate the fans from other Canadian teams coming here and posting their support. That's awesome. And next I have an admission to make. I no longer hate the Flames.

Is this wrong?

I used to... trust me I used to... but I'm not sure I do any more. I mean here is a team that like us has to struggle to make the playoffs, and they will make the playoffs this year by hard work... how can I hate them nearly as much as I hate lets say, Dallas that has a huge payroll, and whose city really doesn't give two craps about hockey. To tell you the truth I started feeling sorry for the Flames a few years ago, and this year, I'm pretty happy for them.

I guess what I'm feeling is that its a catch 22... the only way I think I can enjoy the rivalry is if both teams are decent. I think I'll start hating them once their team makes the playoffs a few times, but I guess I kind of feel that its better to have a great rivalry with a strong team than to try vainly to hate a weak team.

Old
03-23-2004, 09:37 AM
H-Bear

I think you need to check yourself into the nearest hospital. You are an Oilers fan; you have to hate the Flames!! I'll give you leeway to be happy for them to make the playoffs (having a more competitive Flames team makes the Battle of Alberta much more exciting); however, I should remind you of one instance recently that should restore your hate for them:

They could have done us a HUGE favour by beating the Predators a few days ago. Instead, they play an undisciplined game, and fell just short of not showing up at all. It almost looks like they stank on purpose to screw us!! (Note: No, I don't believe they actually did that, but they sucked, and it screwed us!)

Hate them again?

Old
03-23-2004, 09:43 AM
oil slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear
I think you need to check yourself into the nearest hospital. You are an Oilers fan; you have to hate the Flames!! I'll give you leeway to be happy for them to make the playoffs (having a more competitive Flames team makes the Battle of Alberta much more exciting); however, I should remind you of one instance recently that should restore your hate for them:

They could have done us a HUGE favour by beating the Predators a few days ago. Instead, they play an undisciplined game, and fell just short of not showing up at all. It almost looks like they stank on purpose to screw us!! (Note: No, I don't believe they actually did that, but they sucked, and it screwed us!)

Hate them again?
********!

Much better... thank you.

Old
03-23-2004, 09:44 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick
********!

Much better... thank you.
lol I just saved you a trip to the hospital!

Old
03-23-2004, 09:46 AM
Cowboy

Send a message via MSN to Cowboy Send a message via Yahoo to Cowboy
I hate it when they suck, i feel sorry for them when they never make the playoffs. How can you get up for a BOA when the flames suck. ITs about time they are good again. HAving said that, i still hate them just like they hate the oilers. Sure Dallas fans (for the most part) could care less about hockey, dislike them too.

Put it this way, i live an hour from Toronto, they haven't won the Cup in 37 years and I hear about it everyday! Do i feel sorry for them, YA RIGHT. I would love for them to not even make the playoffs...ever. ANd their fans love their team.

All i am trying to say is I love the Oilers, always have, always will. I hate the Leafs,like all the teams that play the leafs hate the Flames, hate Dallas. Thats sports, its awsome. Give it a couple days, you'll hate the Flames in no time, just go talk to one of their fans and they will tell you to look at the standings...done, you hate them again.

Does that make sense?

Old
03-23-2004, 10:20 AM
MoeLemayStays

The Flames are no longer the team with guys like Fleury, Hunter and Peplinski.

Maybe its because I live here now but most of the Flames are decent guys.

I so badly want a Battle of Alberta playoff series...

Old
03-23-2004, 05:10 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankyouverymuch
The Flames are no longer the team with guys like Fleury, Hunter and Peplinski.

Maybe its because I live here now but most of the Flames are decent guys.

I so badly want a Battle of Alberta playoff series...
Kiprusoff is a pretty crazy guy.. I see him down at Cowboys every once in a while and he's the biggest chain smoker I've ever seen!

Old
03-23-2004, 05:26 PM
Cawz

Flames just lost Simon as well to a suspension - http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...51&hubName=nhl - thats what happens when you goon up. the nhl keeps an eye on you. When Vancouver had Brashear, Huscroft & Ojick, they were a big tough team, and also the highest penalized team in the nhl. Calgary better be careful of this.

Also, I stole this off the TSN site. It made me smile:
Thank Sather:
If all the Canadian teams make the playoffs, Glen Sather should be thanked. Every Canadian team received players from Rangers when the fire sale was on.
Montreal-Kovalev
Toronto- Leetch
Ottawa- Devries
Calgary- Simon
Edmonton- Nedved, and Markanan
Vancouver- Ruchinsky
So did Sather not help the Canadian teams to get into the playoffs and improve the teams? He still has his roots in Canada.

Old
03-23-2004, 06:59 PM
Oilhitch

Sure we could thank Sather however I bet it ended up as just a coincidence

Closed Thread