HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Randy Jones hit on Patrice Bergeron [Youtube at post #158]

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2007, 04:47 PM
kenabnrmal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage View Post
I defend it. And I think it's pure garbage you all are acting like it was crime.

Patrice stopped on a dime 4 feet from the boards, stuck his butt out, with a dude bearing down on him at full speed. Randy was sooooo trying to deliver a hard hit that he skated away after the puck within milliseconds of making contact.

If Patrice didn't hit his head on the divide it wouldn't even have been noticed except.

Everyone saying, "well he didn't have to push him" I mean what the hell. It's a contact sport and when a guy stops directly infront of you and you make contact with him are you supposed to fall down?

I seriously hope Patrice is OK and that's the most important thing. But this was just a fluke and you all need bigger balls because you're pussifying this sport.
I'd bet that there won't be many hockey people who agree with you on this one. Objecting to a nasty hit-from-behind is hardly "pussifying" the sport. There really was no gray area, he saw the number long enough to not crush him, he decided to go ahead and do so. Black and white.

Old
10-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Klaus*

Hope PB is alright.... scary.

Old
10-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

I think Jones thought Bergeron was going to resist a bit more than that. Patrice knew he was coming. I think Jones was actually caught off guard by how hard he ended up going into the boards.

Old
Figgles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolousz21 View Post
if I were a flyers fan..id have a hard time watching the rest of the game.
Because of the refs trying to hand the game to the Bruins now?

Old
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLUEandWHITE View Post
And that is why they need to get hitting from behind out of the game...

Also how do you know that was no intent to injure?

As far as I'm concerned when I see a player and his back is towards me and I drive his face into the glass I'm gonna injure him.

Intent or not it was dirty and **** like this needs to stop.
why would randy freakin jones want to injure him? hits from behind happen, they're out of the game, thats why they're illegal. you can't always prevent **** like that, he's playing defense, this guy is facing the boards, it happens in a split second

Old
10-27-2007, 04:49 PM
True North

Send a message via MSN to True North
In my opinion this is worse than the Downie and even the Boulerice incidents, and that's coming from a Canucks fan. The intent to injure was not there (Randy Jones doesn't strike me as that type of player, just a brain fart), but that type of hit is potentially much more dangerous than a hit to the head. A hit to the head can cause a concussion/head injury, but a hit from behind that close to the boards could easily paralyze somebody for life.

This needs a major suspension. Hitting from behind has no place in this game, and the NHL is a joke if they crack down on hits to the head but not this.

Old
yoteshot

Damn... Bergeron is such a good player and a nice guy, hope he is ok.

Old
Garbs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
I agree. It wasnt nearly as bad as I thought it would be, judging by the initial comments.
I experienced the exact opposite. It was much worse than what I expected.

People were saying it wasn't intentional -- something Jones couldn't help. Bull.

10-27-2007, 04:50 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkkipasi View Post
Here it is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Little Mikey View Post
When a guy accidentally high sticks someone, there's no intent to injure but he still gets a penalty. You have to be responsible with your actions.

I still haven't seen the hit so I can't say whether it's worthy of a suspension or not.
And that is an excellent point

Old
10-27-2007, 04:50 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
why would randy freakin jones want to injure him? hits from behind happen, they're out of the game, thats why they're illegal. you can't always prevent **** like that, he's playing defense, this guy is facing the boards, it happens in a split second
That did NOT happen in a split second. Jones had to skate from at least the circle to make contact with Bergeron! Bergeron didn't turn at the last second or anything. You cannot say that "you can't always prevent **** like that" on this hit. Jones had EVERY opportunity to "prevent" hitting Bergeron from behind.

Old
10-27-2007, 04:51 PM
flyers156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
And that's fair, but why does this play have to be common place? Because people only get hurt sometimes it's ok?

You're right, there was no intent to injure, but that doesn't any less of a dangerous play.
He deserved EVERY SECOND of that 5 minutes, it was ABSOLUTLEY boarding, hell maybe ever a couple games suspension is reasonable because of the result but to say it was dirty and should be 20-30 games is stupid.

I don't know what to do to stop boarding, there really isn't anything that will really work. If you throw around large suspensions, people wont hit at all.

Again I hope he's okay. I really like the kid.

Old
Tao Jones

Good thoughts go out to Bergeron. He was on the ice for a long time before they moved him. His eyes were not open when he left the ice.

Old
In The Flesh

im not defending jones, but really, why is he facing the boards like that in the first place? jones probably will get suspended but hits from behind happen all the time, this is just another one, but with a bad injury

Old
jk421*

There is a clear lack of respect among players and it is only a matter of time before someone is paralyzed or killed on the ice. Campbell and the league can hand out suspensions and fines, but I think it is up to the players (via the NHLPA) to start demanding respect for their peers. The NHLPA needs to start disciplining in order to protect as well.

I hope Bergeron is ok. My thoughts go out to him.

Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
I experienced the exact opposite. It was much worse than what I expected.

People were saying it wasn't intentional -- something Jones couldn't help. Bull.
Agreed. I was very underwhelmed when I saw the Boulerice crosscheck. I thought he went full speed into Kessler and took out all his teeth or something.

This... this is much worse than the preceding comments made me expect. This is a disgusting hit and Jones should be punished accordingly. Maybe then he will learn when and when not to throw a ****ing check.

Old
10-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Bandit34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Nice

You've never played competitive hockey have you?
Yeah, actually I have but I just played at the Jobing.com arena last Sunday. With your 9,000 post I see you hard time getting outside.

But seriously, this hit isn't as bad as everyone is saying. Sure he should get suspended, but does this equal Boulerice's suspension? NO I doubt Jones has any intent to injure.

It wasn't like Begeron was just standing there and Jones charged in.

Edit: You actually have 10,000 posts. But I don't want to get in a flaming war, I am just joking about the posts.

Old
10-27-2007, 04:53 PM
hockeycountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck5056 View Post
In my opinion this is worse than the Downie and even the Boulerice incidents, and that's coming from a Canucks fan. The intent to injure was not there (Randy Jones doesn't strike me as that type of player, just a brain fart), but that type of hit is potentially much more dangerous than a hit to the head. A hit to the head can cause a concussion/head injury, but a hit from behind that close to the boards could easily paralyze somebody for life.

This needs a major suspension. Hitting from behind has no place in this game, and the NHL is a joke if they crack down on hits to the head but not this.
I completely agree, and have felt this way for a long time. I hate the "standard" hits to the head (like McAmmond's); they make me ill. But hitting from behind into the boards is inexcusable. I don't care if it's carelessness rather than intent -- so are 95% of high sticks, and we've seen how devastating those can be. This is carelessness that could ruin or, yes, even end someone's life someday.

I hope the news on Bergeron is good.

Old
therealdeal

Its annoying how uneducated the fans are about how dirty a hit from behind is, anyone who has ever played knows that this is the most dirty plays in hockey. This is how players get paralyzed, people can die from this. From day 1 when learning to hit you're always taught never to hit from behind, and anyone who has ever been hit from behind knows how helpless you are, and how dangerous it can be.

Old
Dwight
The French Tickler

That was a pretty unlucky hit. If Bergeron's head didn't hit the divider, then MAYBE we wouldn't have been hurt that badly. He probably still would've been shaken up though.

Old
10-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
Bad hit, deserved to get booted from the game but I don't really see this as being something the league needs to crack down on. That Patrice was injured probably means Jones will get suspended, but I didn't see any intent there.

Old
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Man just something you don't want to see happen to anyone. No doubt that's an illegal hit and Jones will probably get some suspensions from it. Am worried about Bergeron since you can only fear how bad it might be from seeing a video like that.

I don't know what Jones was thinking during the play. But he did have time to consider what to do and still nailed him into the boards from behind. Results like this is why hitting from behind is illegal. Don't know how long the suspension will be since we can see the debate rages on just on the hit itself. Right now will hope for Bergeron.

Old
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
If they suspend him no more than a few. I really dont think he should. It wasnt intent to injure. Not like the other two.

Old
Mr BLUEandWHITE

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
They are not out of the game because it just happened man.

A split second I'll tell you what a split second is....It's a reaction like deflecting a shot into the net.

I'll tell you what a split second isn't.....it's skating from the slot and watching your opponents back and then finishing your check from behind.

There was no reaction there it was clearly him finishing his check and not letting up one bit.

Old
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Jones View Post
Good thoughts go out to Bergeron. He was on the ice for a long time before they moved him. His eyes were not open when he left the ice.
That's not good at all.

Old
10-27-2007, 04:55 PM
freakin

worst hit this year, 30+ games would not surprise me.

Closed Thread