HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Randy Jones hit on Patrice Bergeron [Youtube at post #158]

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers156 View Post
He deserved EVERY SECOND of that 5 minutes, it was ABSOLUTLEY boarding, hell maybe ever a couple games suspension is reasonable because of the result but to say it was dirty and should be 20-30 games is stupid.

I don't know what to do to stop boarding, there really isn't anything that will really work. If you throw around large suspensions, people wont hit at all.

Again I hope he's okay. I really like the kid.
But the thing is, it was a brutal hit on a star player(yes that matters and should matter), and it's chance to create an example (as much as that sucks for Jones) So hits like this can be taken out of the game.

Just because someone hasn't broken their spine in the NHL, doesn't mean it's can't happen.

Old
Seb
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Seb
On the youtube clip you can clearly see that he moved his right leg. I'm no doctor but I guess this is a good sign.

I hope he is ok.

Old
one funky bostonian

Obviously he didn't mean to severely injure him but there's no doubt he intended to hit him from behind, it's not like Patrice just turned his back at the last second. And bad things happen when you hit people from behind that close to the boards. Homers trying to rationalize it as not a dirty hit are baffling me right now.

Old
10-27-2007, 04:56 PM
True North

Send a message via MSN to True North
What's the latest health update on Bergeron?

Old
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
im not defending jones, but really, why is he facing the boards like that in the first place?
To get the puck in a common dump and chase play! Should he have skated backwards, or better yet, sideways to get the puck?

Old
flyers156

A question I have is why hasn't the league done anything about the divider? I've seen countless players get hurt on those things a yet that retard bettman does NOTHING about it! Instead he focuses on stupid looking jerseys, and now we have a 22 year old kid severely hurt. Isn't there some sort of padding that can be put there.

Old
In The Flesh

randy jones for sure feels horrible about it, thats what really matters, im sure he's very sorry, but he's probably thinking to himself, It happened so fast, I couldn't have prevented it.

Old
10-27-2007, 04:57 PM
MD Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolousz21 View Post
if I were a flyers fan..id have a hard time watching the rest of the game.
They don't care. They are complaining about minor stick infractions. Its sickening really. To think what might happen to him, his family, our team. And all they can say is either what their announcers say "its Bergeron's fault" or, "oh well, the refs are trying to make us lose"

Old
VladNYC*

Jones just issued an apology. Said, he was deeply sorry, it was an accident, he has never done that before and it is not in his character to purposely make those hits.

The commentator who was a defending Jones btw is a Boston commentator, not a philly one.

Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
A question I have is why hasn't the league done anything about the divider? I've seen countless players get hurt on those things a yet that retard bettman does NOTHING about it! Instead he focuses on stupid looking jerseys, and now we have a 22 year old kid severely hurt. Isn't there some sort of padding that can be put there.
No. We just need to get marginal players to stop throwing retarded hits. That would help a hell of a lot.

Old
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLUEandWHITE View Post
They are not out of the game because it just happened man.

A split second I'll tell you what a split second is....It's a reaction like deflecting a shot into the net.

I'll tell you what a split second isn't.....it's skating from the slot and watching your opponents back and then finishing your check from behind.

There was no reaction there it was clearly him finishing his check and not letting up one bit.
This is exactly right, and I can't fathom how anyone can argue with this who has seen the entire play.

Old
10-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Mr BLUEandWHITE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
If they suspend him no more than a few. I really dont think he should. It wasnt intent to injure. Not like the other two.
Why does that matter?

How many times are people going to say he didn't want to hurt him.

It doesn't matter, the fact is he hit someone from behind and he hurt him bad.

Old
habs_24x

the hit was illegal and the match penalty was deserved but i dont see this going past a 2 game suspension.

Old
HFNHL Canadiens

30 games is a joke. That play happens a billion times, this time it just ended badly. Bertuzzi sucker puches Moore in the back of the head and drives his head into the ice breaking Moores neck in the process with a clear intent to injure, he gets 20 games. Jones hits Bergeron from behind, with no intent to injure, just finnishing his check illegally, the same play has happend millions of times, this time it ended badly. Sure he should get suspended for a couple games, based on the injury his illegal action caused, but 30 games is a joke. You might aswell take body contact out of the game, if your gonna give Jones 30 games.

Old
voxel

Quote:
I don't know what to do to stop boarding, there really isn't anything that will really work. If you throw around large suspensions, people wont hit at all.
Well, a suspension is warranted (one game? five games?) .. you just can't let players go free when they hit a player from behind that causes a serious injury.

Randy Jones didn't seem to hit Bergeron maliciously, but he must be held accountable in the end. i.e in North America, accidentally causing death is manslaughter.

OTOH, A long-term or lifetime suspension against Jones would be stupid because he's definitely not Downie or Boulerice.

Old
harry 93

Statement by Randy Jones

Quote:
"Words really can't express the way that I feel right now," Jones said in a statement posted on the team's website. "I am very apologetic for the hit and what I did. It was not intentional. It is something that I have never done before and it is not part of my character. I am extremely sorry. I hope he does ok and everything works out for him. I wish him nothing but the best in his recovery."

Old
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
The commentator who was a defending Jones btw is a Boston commentator, not a philly one.
There was a Boston studio analyst who said that this isn't in Jones's character and he's sure he feels bad about it. But no one in Boston is defending this hit.

It doesn't matter if he didn't intend to hurt him, he made an irresponsible, illegal hit and he hurt him bad. I'm sure someone speeding down a street at 100mph doesn't intend to kill anyone, but if he does, he's responsible.

Old
10-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCoyotes34 View Post
Yeah, actually I have but I just played at the Jobing.com arena last Sunday. With your 9,000 post I see you hard time getting outside.

But seriously, this hit isn't as bad as everyone is saying. Sure he should get suspended, but does this equal Boulerice's suspension? NO I doubt Jones has any intent to injure.

It wasn't like Begeron was just standing there and Jones charged in.

Edit: You actually have 10,000 posts. But I don't want to get in a flaming war, I am just joking about the posts.
That's fine, I also don't want a flame war, but this is a good chance for the NHL to create an example so to try and eliminate these hits in the future. And that would be a good thing for the League.

It kind of was like Bergeron was just kind of standing there, but I have to ask. Did hitting Bergeron benefit Jones in anyway on the play?

Old
Nolanitis

wow, that was tough to watch. 1st, Let's all pray for Bergeron. 2nd, while I dont think Randy Jones in anyway meant to do what he did, he is responsible for his actions. Let's hope Bergeron didn't break his neck, but it is only a matter of time (shortly) until that happens. The players just seem to forget they can really hurt someone with a hit from behind, they need to collectively stop and have a union meeting before someone gets seriously hurt, enough is enough....And yes both Jones and the Flyers are on the hook for this one. How many goonlike plays are they going to commit until the league does something, this is not the 70's all over

Old
Gumbercules

those who have said that these hits occur all the time are dead on and its something that needs to be stopped. I suspect jones will get 10-15 games, but beyond the injury, how much different is it then this?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZYPWCJ_0Km0

Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x View Post
the hit was illegal and the match penalty was deserved but i dont see this going past a 2 game suspension.
I'm sorry, but Hollweg and Orpik got around 5 games or so. This hit was worse than BOTH of those hits from behind.

Old
10-27-2007, 05:00 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowalchuk View Post
30 games is a joke. That play happens a billion times, this time it just ended badly. Bertuzzi sucker puches Moore in the back of the head and drives his head into the ice breaking Moores neck in the process with a clear intent to injure, he gets 20 games. Jones hits Bergeron from behind, with no intent to injure, just finnishing his check illegally, the same play has happend millions of times, this time it ended badly. Sure he should get suspended for a couple games, based on the injury his illegal action caused, but 30 games is a joke. You might aswell take body contact out of the game, if your gonna give Jones 30 games.
I doubt they give him 30... maybe 2 or 5. At worst 10, but that would be extreme for something not intentional (i.e didn't intend to injury unlike Boulerice / Downie).

Old
DL44

vCash: 0
just saw the hit and i would have say a big f u to those defending the hit and/or blaming Bergeron for somehow failing to take a hit correctly.

and no that sort hit is NOT seen 100X a game.

Old
Lockheed301
DOO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck5056 View Post
What's the latest health update on Bergeron?
Only thing known is he was knocked out cold and is getting treatment at a hospital.

Old
therealdeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
randy jones for sure feels horrible about it, thats what really matters, im sure he's very sorry, but he's probably thinking to himself, It happened so fast, I couldn't have prevented it.
Um, are you mentally handicapped?

Closed Thread