HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

From forward to defence

Old
10-28-2007, 05:13 PM
Grabo59

vCash: 500
From forward to defence

What tips do you guys have for someone who is changing his position from forward (RW) to defense?

Grabo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2007, 10:04 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
lol is everyone changing to D? Seems like a thread every week on this!!!

Keep your stick on the ice and keep it active..in the passing lane or poke checking. Pay the middle and force everything outside. Then communicate with your goalie/partner/C on the coverages- it'll be the most important thing you need to do. Lastly, don't keep skating backwards when the offense is coming at you. I've seen guys keep backing up until they run into their own netminder ><..make a move by the time they reach the hash marks.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2007, 01:50 AM
604flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
When in doubt defensively, high off the boards.
Couldn't agree more.. Guarantee ya if you try to go glass and out, you'll hit the stanchion and create a crazy bounce that rarely benefits your team (at least that's what always happened to me)..

604flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2007, 06:13 AM
Sportacus
:)

vCash: 50
A lot of people (forwards mostly) don't really know how important it is for D-men, but You're likely to feel 10 times more comfortable on one side than the other. In your case (as was mine) it's likely the right side.

10-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Twist and Shout

Make sure you know how to skate. I switched to defense in a game once, fell over backwards on two consecutive non-threatening rushes by the same player from the other team and then told the coach that it's not happening again.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 02:17 AM
Robo-Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist And Shout View Post
Make sure you know how to skate. I switched to defense in a game once, fell over backwards on two consecutive non-threatening rushes by the same player from the other team and then told the coach that it's not happening again.
As a forward who plays defense on occasion I can definitively say this. Never, ever reach out to make a play, or you will go flying on your ass and whoever you were defending will no longer be defended.

Robo-Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 09:05 PM
nodq

Don't extend your stick out to its max until you go for a poke check. If you show him how far you can reach, he will just play the puck a bit beyond that point, amking it impossible for you to reach it.

Kepping the stick tucked in a bit allows an element of surprise, which is the main purpose of the poke check.

Until you get comfortable, don't pinch and play conservatively. If you make a mistake, that leaves no one else between the opponent and your goalie (of course the other defender if he can make it over).

Fowards can make the risky moves as they have you to clean up their mess.

nodq is offline   Reply With Quote