HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

More from Bob "Wouldn'tknow" Goodenow.

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2004, 12:15 AM
Physical HABuse

vCash: 500
More from Bob "Wouldn'tknow" Goodenow.

Check out this article in the Toronto Sun. If anyone wants to know what's wrong with the game....look no further than Bob Goodenow. The guy is a complete joke and personally.....I think he has contributed as much to the demise of hockey in recent years as anyone else....both from failing to acknowledge the financial state of the game and from comments such as these. Does he really think we believe half the bull$hit that comes from his mouth?

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Toront...23/392176.html

Old
03-24-2004, 12:39 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physical HABuse
Check out this article in the Toronto Sun. If anyone wants to know what's wrong with the game....look no further than Bob Goodenow. The guy is a complete joke and personally.....I think he has contributed as much to the demise of hockey in recent years as anyone else....both from failing to acknowledge the financial state of the game and from comments such as these. Does he really think we believe half the bull$hit that comes from his mouth?

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Toront...23/392176.html
I actually had the pleasure of reading the article this morning. Yes, Bob is quite a moron. But, what do you expect him to say when doesn't know when a player is gonna snap? He's trying to deflect all attention from the players...and doing a poor job and looking like a tool for it!!

Old
03-24-2004, 09:00 AM
Gros Bill

Pretty lame piece, if you ask me, more like axe-grinding with an agenda. He bases his "attack" on Goodenow on what? A conversation with Al Stachan? Holy Jumping Journalism, Batman !

Re-read the quotes attributed to Goodenow :

"player confidence in the officials' ability to control the game is diminishing" and "it does put an onus on the players themselves to behave in a different way." How is that not true ? Jeez, as a fan, I know I've lost confidence in the officials. And tell me that players don't change their behaviour? Ever see a 1-1 game in the 3rd period?

"In some cases, people would suggest they take matters into their own hands. Others would just say have more respect for each other. I'm sure it's going to be an issue that's discussed widely at the meetings that are coming up this summer." Again, sounds reasonable to me.

So if you don't agree with Goodenow or the way the NHLPA is run, that's fine. But don't just base it on one columnist's rant, that's all.

Old
03-24-2004, 09:28 AM
BLONG7

Knob Goodenow is a Joke!!! The union should fire his A$$!!!

Old
03-24-2004, 09:56 AM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
Pretty lame piece, if you ask me, more like axe-grinding with an agenda. He bases his "attack" on Goodenow on what? A conversation with Al Stachan? Holy Jumping Journalism, Batman !

Re-read the quotes attributed to Goodenow :

"player confidence in the officials' ability to control the game is diminishing" and "it does put an onus on the players themselves to behave in a different way." How is that not true ? Jeez, as a fan, I know I've lost confidence in the officials. And tell me that players don't change their behaviour? Ever see a 1-1 game in the 3rd period?

"In some cases, people would suggest they take matters into their own hands. Others would just say have more respect for each other. I'm sure it's going to be an issue that's discussed widely at the meetings that are coming up this summer." Again, sounds reasonable to me.

So if you don't agree with Goodenow or the way the NHLPA is run, that's fine. But don't just base it on one columnist's rant, that's all.
Well said.

I think you guys need some obectivity when reading articles like this. Don't automatically believe Goodenow is a "bad guy" because some journalist told you so.

Again, the quotes:
Goodenow:
"In some cases, people would suggest they take matters into their own hands. Others would just say have more respect for each other. I'm sure it's going to be an issue that's discussed widely at the meetings that are coming up this summer."

Simmons:
Instead of pointing the finger in the wrong direction, why doesn't he use his soapbox to urge respect amongst his membership?

What the? Goodenow didn't blame anyone or point any fingers. He just raised issues that need to be addressed by the players, one of which was respect. Seems like Goodenow's right on the ball to me, by putting the onus on the players themselves to resolve the issue instead of preaching at them.

Old
03-24-2004, 12:42 PM
romain_jaime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7
Knob Goodenow is a Joke!!! The union should fire his A$$!!!
Why would they fire him when he has helped make them all multi-millionaires?

Old
03-24-2004, 12:48 PM
Guy!

I'm sorry, some of you are reading Toronto papers? SACRILEDGE.

As for what was mentioned here on the site, I'd have a tendency to go with what Gros BIll and Habber have said. They place the quotes and ignore the fluff. I think what people have to realize and understand comes down to one simple word:

Spin.

Hell, any half competent writer can make some people believe almost anything because of spin. You can be bombarded with a lot of 'facts' that have little bearing on things but which make the argument look like a brilliant one. Dagenais has a brilliant shot, he has a nose for the net, and he scores goals at a high rate, ergo he's at least second line, if not first line quality. Read just like that, people might agree. Now, if they look at Dags' actual game...

And to agree a little further, my confidence in the officials is at or below my confidence level for Perreault being our checking line centre throughout the playoffs.

ACF

Old
03-24-2004, 02:16 PM
tritone

Man , I thought I was bitter. This reporter definitely has some pre-conceived notions and is not exactly the epitomy of objectivity.

Old
03-24-2004, 02:18 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone
Man , I thought I was bitter. This reporter definitely has some pre-conceived notions and is not exactly the epitomy of objectivity.
Anyone who creates a thread titled "Piss & Vinegar" is bitter in my books.

Old
03-24-2004, 03:35 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
Anyone who creates a thread titled "Piss & Vinegar" is bitter in my books.
I agree...the nerve of some people posting a thread titled Piss and Vinegar, I mean seriously. This type of stuff has to stop LOL

Closed Thread