HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Craig MacTavish Appreciation Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2004, 04:31 PM
Matts

vCash: 500
Welll

handling of Tommy and his playing time? Exceptionally bad

Even strenght play? Exceptionally good

Special teams? exceptionally bad

Handling of the kids? outstanding in cases like Torres and Stoll and then not so much with Hemsky and Semi.

Though the emergence of MAB puts that one in the good catergory.

Overall, I have this seaosn supported MacT. Took me awhile to warm up to him but over on OF when guys would call for his head I wondered aloud just how many games I saw the Oilers give less than a full effort and I have to say I couldn't think of very damn many.

So that was good enough for me.

But he'll have to let go of the special team reins if this team is to improve.

Will his ego allow that?

Old
03-23-2004, 05:41 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
I mentioned in a thread, a little while back, that when players 'tune out' the coach/message;
good coaches 'adjust' the delivery of the message.

I think MacT has gained some confidence and learned to 'adjust'.
I also think he's starting to get a handle on the "bench".
Well, whatever he did the game has improved and I don't believe that it is just luck so I think I have to give credit to the coaching staff as well as the players. As I said 4-6 weeks ago I had reluctantly come to the conclusion that the players had tuned out. Obviously that was wrong. Just one of my many mistakes so far this year since I also thought that Oates was going to give us offence down the middle and that Bergeron would be passed in the depth chart by Lynch and/or Woywitka after being sent back down to TO. So whatever else happens this season it would have been much worse had I been in charge.

Old
03-23-2004, 05:53 PM
theoil

(Igor) Now we just need to find guys that get under the skin of hillbillypriest the theoil

(Hillbilly Priest) I truly am inept. I actually meant to compliment Igor. I think all of his stuff rocks. Sorry.

Well I love Igor's stuff too but I was so tickled to be slandered (?) by hin in the same sentence with your stuff I thought I would give him the little rise he seemed to be looking for. But now that I re-read what Igor wrote I'm not sure if I read it right the first time or not so Igor, why are you trying to find guys to get under the skin of hillbillypriest and I?

As to your Brownlee question. I have always been a MacTavish fan and have even commented on this forum on how I think he keeps the team calm (as opposed to Crawford, whom I don't really like) but I think that maybe he was too patient this year and there seemed to be too many games this year where the team didn't play with as much fire as was needed. I ask the question I have been asking myself since this turnaround started. Why can this team not learn how to play desparate hockey until March every year? And although I don't know the answer I still think some of it has to do with the coaching. That said, we do play great desparate hockey.

Old
03-23-2004, 06:49 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
Well, whatever he did the game has improved and I don't believe that it is just luck so I think I have to give credit to the coaching staff as well as the players. As I said 4-6 weeks ago I had reluctantly come to the conclusion that the players had tuned out. Obviously that was wrong. Just one of my many mistakes so far this year since I also thought that Oates was going to give us offence down the middle and that Bergeron would be passed in the depth chart by Lynch and/or Woywitka after being sent back down to TO...
I heard that when we get to our age, we're supposed to make less mistakes.
Actually, we make just as many as when we were young, we just forget most of them.
Quote:
So whatever else happens this season it would have been much worse had I been in charge.
I am ever thankful for small miracles.

Old
03-23-2004, 06:58 PM
theoil

Quote:
I heard that when we get to our age, we're supposed to make less mistakes.
Actually, we make just as many as when we were young, we just forget most of them. I am ever thankful for small miracles.
Yeah, well, at least I didn't try to trade Brewer or Smyth. I think that one of the qualities I admire most in Lowe is his patience. Everybody is screaming at you to do something when doing nothing is the biggest part of maturing the team now.

Old
03-23-2004, 07:17 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
Personally, I think that MacTavish is Bowman's equal as a bench coach (seriously ) . I think that MacTavish has shown much more patience with the young guys than Bowman would have. Bowman would have had a better powerplay though. And Bowman probably would have had Salo on a shorter leash early in the year.

On the other hand, I think Ron "vague strategy" Low would probably have gotten this team to about the same place too ... just via a different route. And emotional guys like Low have a much shorter shelf life on a team.

Anyhoo ... I thought it was an interesting question. What does everyone else think?

I don't think MacT is in the upper echelon of NHL coaches, but that doesn't mean he won't get there. Remember, this is his first NHL head coaching job, and he has some weaknesses:

1. Unlike Bowman, his rants to the refs don't intimidate, they irritate. I can't think of too many instances where MacT came out of an exchange with a ref having gotten his way. That may change as he matures.

2. imo MacT's giving up on the powerplay earlier this season was shameful.

3. This team is a coach killer, and he almost got it. imo Tommy Salo is the last guy who gets a long leash from this coach.

4. I won't belabor the issue since we've already discussed it, but I don't think MacT has given a fair shake to the offensively gifted players on his roster. He appears to be a Whitey Herzog 'leather before the lumber' type, which is fine, but as was the case with Whitey, having 8 shortstops and the pitcher out there looks pretty damn silly when it isn't working.

Having said that, he really does have some positives and imo this season could very well mark the turning point in his career.

Old
03-23-2004, 07:54 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
4. I won't belabor the issue since we've already discussed it, but I don't think MacT has given a fair shake to the offensively gifted players on his roster. He appears to be a Whitey Herzog 'leather before the lumber' type, which is fine, but as was the case with Whitey, having 8 shortstops and the pitcher out there looks pretty damn silly when it isn't working.
Mind if I belabor this issue for a bit longer? Would you classify MAB as offensively gifted? Wouldn't you agree that MacT has given him a chance to succeed on this team that he might not have gotten on other teams?

How about a different angle? You started a terrific thread on the Oilers use of its farm system. I would suggest to you that even though the Oilers might not have a player on their big team, they don't appear to regard players who they drafted for their skill and promise based on junior numbers and haven't gotten an NHL game together by 22 as necessarily lost causes. My take on this is that the Oilers have lots of patience with skill, they just don't think that the complete package should be developed in the NHL, it should be developed in the minors. I agree. You should play in the NHL when you are the best player available. Not before. Oilers are developing the depth to be able to do this. I think it's a great strategy.

My final comment is that, as you know, the Oiler staff is built from Stanley Cup winners. Lowe and his staff want to eventually be in a position to win it all. The team will not win if it relies on players that haven't learned or are unwilling to do what it takes. I'm sure you're familiar with the story about what the 1983 Oilers learned from watching the Islanders in that year - the fact that even with their talent, it was the Islander's dedication that to take the punishment that won it for them. As I counter example, I offer the present day Ottawa senators to you. They do not face same do or die struggle to qualify for the post season every year, but they haven't gotten to the finals yet. It will be interesting to see which of the two teams gets to the prize first.

Old
03-23-2004, 08:00 PM
gretzky2kurri

Some people are critical how he uses young players. How he sets his lines etc. Alot of people griped about the special teams.

My questions were always about how much of a motivator he was. How well he had his players ears. How well he prepared them for important hockey games.

Doubts that he could make them beleive in themselves.........and play more for each other.

I said at the begining of the season that I would give him till X-mas to win me over. I wouldn't slag him until then either. Well the new year rolled around and by that time I had given it to him with both barrels a couple times already.

He's winning me over.

He's making me a beleiver.

Old
03-23-2004, 08:30 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I think a good comparison for Hemsky is Thornton...

Not in terms of the type of player, but how they were brought up.

Both guys were drafted, and both were pulled from junior early because it was believed that they had nothing to gain by playing weaker competition.

In his first season, Thornton put up 55gp 3-4-7 -6. His 2nd season was 81gp 16-25-41 +3.

I can remember some bruin fans very upset with Joe after his first season... not just at Joe, but at the organization for missing the beat on this 1st overall selection.

Right now Hemsky had 59GP 6-24-30 +5 in his first season and 69GP 12-22-34 -6.

These kids coming into the NHL are going to have problems, especially early on.

I mean Datsyuk was 23 when he played his first NHL game... Hemsky doesn't need to be an allstar tomorrow. He won't be an allstar tomorrow.

It's going to take a few years and some ups and downs. It'd be great if young players learned on some uniform curve, but it reads more like a richter scale reading as opposed to any kind of readable curve.

Tom Poti was a young player who had major deficiancies in his game. The fact that the Oilers coaching staff tried to rectify it by breaking it down, which may have resulted in a bit of an adjustment year, doesn't mean that they failed. Unfortunately, Poti held out for some time the next season and was traded before the coaching staff could finish. To pin that as a failure on the coaching staff is a little unfair.

Old
03-23-2004, 08:37 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest
Would you classify MAB as offensively gifted? Wouldn't you agree that MacT has given him a chance to succeed on this team that he might not have gotten on other teams?
Yes, I agree he's offensively gifted. MacT has given him a chance, that's certainly true. But he hasn't made it, and despite his recent hot streak the road could still be very rocky.

Quote:
How about a different angle? You started a terrific thread on the Oilers use of its farm system. I would suggest to you that even though the Oilers might not have a player on their big team, they don't appear to regard players who they drafted for their skill and promise based on junior numbers and haven't gotten an NHL game together by 22 as necessarily lost causes. My take on this is that the Oilers have lots of patience with skill, they just don't think that the complete package should be developed in the NHL, it should be developed in the minors.
Well, I'm going to disagree with you, I'm sorry. I think MacT is a fine coach, but until one of these kids like Ales Hemsky struggles, develops, finds a home and then flourishes under the coach there's still a question as to how far this player type can get under his system.

He's had Poti, he's had Comrie. They're gone. THEY'LL be fine.

And so will Hemsky. The question is, where?

Old
03-23-2004, 08:52 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Well, I'm going to disagree with you, I'm sorry. I think MacT is a fine coach, but until one of these kids like Ales Hemsky struggles, develops, finds a home and then flourishes under the coach there's still a question as to how far this player type can get under his system.

Poti is far from fine... if it weren't for that insane arbitration award (he makes like $3mil), he probably would be on his 3rd or 4th team by now. He has glaring holes in his game... still. That first season when they broke Poti's game down was an adjustment period. He was a young kid and was trying to go about his game in a completely new fashion. That doesn't happen overnight. The very next season he held out. he missed a good chunk of the season and when he came back, he struggled (like most holdouts do). Then of course the boo-birds got at him, but that is for something else. Those last 25 games Poti played as an Oiler were the best hockey he had ever played. Granted, the offensive production wasn't there, but I think that had more to do with tension than anything else. He was really starting to learn to use his size very effectively. He wasn't playing physical (I don't think that was every going to happen), but he was as positionally sound as anyone, and he had a very active stick that was causing a lot of problems. We never actually got to see Poti develop. I know his first season with the Rags was pretty good, but he has really regressed lately.

As for Comrie... well up until his injury he was doing quite nicely.

Old
03-23-2004, 09:27 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:

Some people (i.e. me) can let go...

Poti - Sorry', he's not fine. If he played for the Oilers still, there would be 7 defensemen ahead of him and 2-3 in the farm system that would be making us wonder why he's still here. His potential did not translate to an effective next step either in Edmonton or in the next place he went to. The value obtained in exchange was great, particularly when viewed in hindsight. The main reason that the Oilers have won that trade hands down is that York has desire to go with his skill. He has thrived under the Oilers system. To my mind it also validates MacT's player evaluation criteria - good skills and great desire will beat great skills and poor desire every time.

Comrie - If he ends up being an 80+ point a year player, it will be because he has learned life some life lessons that he was not applying with the Oilers. His next step will because he realizes that he has to improve certain aspects of his game to be the best he can be. It was his attitude that prevented this in Edmonton last year. He had a fundamentally immature reaction to criticism last year that seemed to based on a belief that he, as a "star" should have a different set of rules applied to him. Sorry, this doesn't wash. If a coach who knows as a former player what it takes to win the hardest prize in all of professional sports sees that his star athelete is unprepared to do what it takes to get better, he is right to ask questions whether it is worthwhile to continue to invest scarce playing and development time on him. This, however, is not what happened. MacT did not have Comrie traded - Comrie literally forced this to occur - on his terms. That to me is proof positive of an attitude problem that a good coach may well think he needs to deal with earlier than later. Bottom line, though, Comrie is gone because of his own choice to respond to criticism in a negative way. His choice, and far more a reflection on him than on MacT or Lowe or anyone else.

Hemsky - No evidence that he has become so disappointed with his position on the team that he wants to leave. However, even if disappointed thoughts and disenchantment are creeping into his mind, then what of it? What part of SHOOT does he not understand? If he doesn't figure this out, he will not take his next development step. If a coach is telling him to shoot, it is because it is a true problem in his game. If he were to get mad and refuse to take this advice (again no evidence of this), then there is a basic problem on the player, not the coaching end. In any event, Hemsky is not being persecuted because at this moment in time is less likely to make the key contribution that will lead to a critical win than the 2 or 3 players presently on the sidelines waiting for a spot to play. A coach who puts in the best player available on the night is making the right choice. A player that resent this choice will ultimately be a cancer and should be traded before the attitude issues become well known and overwhelm the value the "market" places on high potential. (Here's the Comrie lesson again - Lowe waited so long in an effort to try and mend the fences that it allowed Comrie's attitude to become evident to the whole league).

...as I said. I'm a bit like dog with a bone on this. Sorry for the rant.

HBP

Old
03-23-2004, 09:35 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
That first season when they broke Poti's game down was an adjustment period. He was a young kid and was trying to go about his game in a completely new fashion. That doesn't happen overnight.
Except that he was a plus player before MacT took over as coach, and hasn't been since. There are lots of reasons for this (Hamrlik trade probably #1), but its part of the coach's resume and that's really my point here.

I don't want to be negative in this thread, and I'm sincerely sorry if people are getting upset with me about this (it isn't my intention), but I think its a fiar question.

If we make a list of players of a specific type, that being offensive players who are not efficient defensive players who have been to a Craig MacTavish camp, like this:

Michel Riesen
Michael Henrich
Mike Comrie
Tom Poti
Ales Hemsky
MA Bergeron

we're not seeing these players emerge as Oiler NHLers. MacT is getting tremendous results from certain types of players, almost none at all from this type of player.

All I'm saying is that it looks like a trend. Here's hoping Hemsky scores 70 point next season and I stop bringing this up.

Old
03-23-2004, 10:02 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Except that he was a plus player before MacT took over as coach, and hasn't been since. There are lots of reasons for this (Hamrlik trade probably #1), but its part of the coach's resume and that's really my point here.
The fact that a young player had to fix parts of his game and struggled during that change is no suprise. Change doesn't happen overnight, and if we want to ignore the strides Poti was making in the last 25 or so games he was an Oiler, then yeah, it's a black mark. Unfortunately, we don't know what would have happened the following season (or fortunately, I guess, York isn't a bad consolation prize), but Poti had a pretty solid year last year, and I think the change in his game was a part of that.

Quote:
If we make a list of players of a specific type, that being offensive players who are not efficient defensive players who have been to a Craig MacTavish camp, like this:

Michel Riesen
Michael Henrich
Mike Comrie
Tom Poti
Ales Hemsky
MA Bergeron

we're not seeing these players emerge as Oiler NHLers. MacT is getting tremendous results from certain types of players, almost none at all from this type of player.

All I'm saying is that it looks like a trend. Here's hoping Hemsky scores 70 point next season and I stop bringing this up.
What does emerge mean? 23 and getting allstar nominations?

Michel Reisen has all kinds of talent, but there isn't a lot of work ethic there. You can see that even now. In the Spengler cup he was by far the most talented player in the tournament, but the only time he could do anything was when he had the puck in an open area and could pick up speed. He was a big risk when the Oilers picked him... his talent wasn't in question, it was the other things in his toolbox that were the issues.

Michael Henrich hasn't spent any time developing under Mac-T, so I don't understand this. I mean, he's struggled at the AHL level, missed a season because of Mono, and is finally finding his game again. I can't see how Henrich proves anything, unless you want to bring up Julien's ability to bring up players.

While both these 2 did have impressive skills, both had some huge question marks too. These were two of the worst picks in Oilers history. It's llike blaming Low for Bonsignore... these guys are in that same boat.

Comre I'm not going to talk about because we don't know what happened.

Poti I've talked about.

Hemsky is still just a kid. He's only 20, his NHL career isn't done, it's barely started. There were some lofty expectations thrown onto this kid by the fans this season (70+ points), and to be honest, he's about where he should be. He's had a bumpy ride, but so does every young player. If we are going to gauge everything on how a kid looks at 20 years old, we are going to go through a lot of coaches.

Bergeron I think proves that Mac-T knows what he is doing. Does anyone here think Bergeron would be playing like this if he wasn't sent to Toronto for a month? He's just a rookie, he's gonna have ups and downs and he is going to be in the pressbox. There aren't a lot of rookie defencemen who play a significant role their first year in the NHL, and it's hard to compare Bergeron to guys like Bouwmeester and Pitkanen.

Old
03-23-2004, 10:05 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Some people (i.e. me) can let go...
I get stubborn on lots of stuff, but enjoy your posts so much I consider it a compliment when you respond to something I've written. Always well thought out posts on your part.

Quote:
Poti - Sorry', he's not fine. If he played for the Oilers still, there would be 7 defensemen ahead of him and 2-3 in the farm system that would be making us wonder why he's still here. His potential did not translate to an effective next step either in Edmonton or in the next place he went to. The value obtained in exchange was great, particularly when viewed in hindsight. The main reason that the Oilers have won that trade hands down is that York has desire to go with his skill. He has thrived under the Oilers system. To my mind it also validates MacT's player evaluation criteria - good skills and great desire will beat great skills and poor desire every time.
Well, Poti is putting the finishing touches on a pretty impressive season. Playing amongst the muck and goo that is the New York Rangers, Poti (10-14-24) sits at -1, which in New York is breaking news. He's never going to be a Norris candidate, and the return for him was mammoth (imo the York deal is still Lowe's best), but Tom Poti's 4 powerplay goals and 5 game winners would have been welcome here up until Bergeron's emergence imo.

Quote:
Bottom line, though, Comrie is gone because of his own choice to respond to criticism in a negative way. His choice, and far more a reflection on him than on MacT or Lowe or anyone else.
I certainly agree that it looks like Comrie's lack of maturity was the main cause of this rift, but it happened on MacT's watch. Its part of his resume, and I think its fair to use him as an example of a young player who will reach his ceiling somewhere other than Edmonton.

Quote:
Hemsky - What part of SHOOT does he not understand? If he doesn't figure this out, he will not take his next development step. If a coach is telling him to shoot, it is because it is a true problem in his game. If he were to get mad and refuse to take this advice (again no evidence of this), then there is a basic problem on the player, not the coaching end. In any event, Hemsky is not being persecuted because at this moment in time is less likely to make the key contribution that will lead to a critical win than the 2 or 3 players presently on the sidelines waiting for a spot to play. A coach who puts in the best player available on the night is making the right choice. A player that resent this choice will ultimately be a cancer and should be traded before the attitude issues become well known and overwhelm the value the "market" places on high potential. (Here's the Comrie lesson again - Lowe waited so long in an effort to try and mend the fences that it allowed Comrie's attitude to become evident to the whole league).
Well, we'll see. Poti and Comrie came before him with similar skills, and they are now playing NHL hockey in other towns.

Old
03-23-2004, 10:10 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:

I don't want to be negative in this thread, and I'm sincerely sorry if people are getting upset with me about this (it isn't my intention), but I think its a fiar question.

Michel Riesen
Michael Henrich
Mike Comrie
Tom Poti
Ales Hemsky
MA Bergeron

I've said it before.
And, I'll probably say it again.
MacT was our head coach before he was a head coach.
imho - He was pushed into the job when he should have had at least one more year as an assistant.
I'm willing to downplay the mistakes in his rookie and sophomore years, moreso, because of this.
Last year, the team was still in for some major shake-ups, making it difficult to hold the room, so to speak.

There is no doubt in my mind, that this is now his team.
There will still be a few tinkering, subtractions and additions each year.
But, he has his core/corps that he will go into battle with each game.

MAB was ticked about sitting and being sent down, but he did what he was instructed to do and look at him now.

Hemsky came back from his pb view and owned the puck. Sure he didn't avail himself of some shooting opportunities (*sigh* baby steps), but he didn't softly give up the puck, like he was before. He kept control or fought hard to get it back. Something got thru to him and my money is on MacT.

Heck, even Reasoner credits MacT with his turn around last year.

Time will tell.
But, I think MacT is starting to prove to be a damm fine coach.

Old
03-23-2004, 10:19 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
I've said it before.
And, I'll probably say it again.
MacT was our head coach before he was a head coach.
imho - He was pushed into the job when he should have had at least one more year as an assistant.
I'm willing to downplay the mistakes in his rookie and sophomore years, moreso, because of this.
Last year, the team was still in for some major shake-ups, making it difficult to hold the room, so to speak.

There is no doubt in my mind, that this is now his team.
There will still be a few tinkering, subtractions and additions each year.
But, he has his core/corps that he will go into battle with each game.

MAB was ticked about sitting and being sent down, but he did what he was instructed to do and look at him now.

Hemsky came back from his pb view and owned the puck. Sure he didn't avail himself of some shooting opportunities (*sigh* baby steps), but he didn't softly give up the puck, like he was before. He kept control or fought hard to get it back. Something got thru to him and my money is on MacT.

Heck, even Reasoner credits MacT with his turn around last year.

Time will tell.
But, I think MacT is starting to prove to be a damm fine coach.

Excellent post. I'm not really comfortable being the agitator in this thread since I started it and it is an appreciation thread, so I'm jumping off here and agreeing with Ice Dragoon.

Old
03-23-2004, 10:41 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Excellent post. I'm not really comfortable being the agitator in this thread since I started it and it is an appreciation thread, so I'm jumping off here and agreeing with Ice Dragoon.
We're just yanking your chain. Good entertaining stuff this.

Old
03-24-2004, 01:14 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Excellent post.
Thanx.
Apparently, you had to drag it out of me.
I guess it was time.
Quote:
I'm not really comfortable being the agitator in this thread since I started it and it is an appreciation thread, so I'm jumping off here and agreeing with Ice Dragoon.
Yes, you started it... with this disclaimer:
Quote:
His line juggling drives me crazy, and I almost broke my tv the night he rolled 4 lines on the powerplay...
:p

Old
03-24-2004, 01:20 PM
theoil

Quote:
So I'll jump back in. I think that the teaching part of coaching has proven to be a real strength of MacTavish and his whole staff. But it is almost a truism that you can teach defence and the offence comes from natural talent - and the confidence to use it. You might make an argument that this team doesn't have enough of that talent to allow the free wheeling and you might be right but we are the fourth highest goal scoring team in the WC and the talent level is higher this year than in a long time. What we haven't had all year is the goalie that would give confidence that he could rescue a player from a mistake so I am undecided on that part of the coaching question.

Does MacTavish have the 'bench coach' thing down yet? Six weeks ago I would have told you that he didn't have it in him. Now, of course, he is looking like a genius. But I still have my question for which I have no answer. Why hasn't this team learned to play desparate in November or October or January? Four years and every year it is the same thing. Can somebody explain this to me in a light that is positive for the coaching staff?

Old
03-24-2004, 01:37 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
... Why hasn't this team learned to play desparate in November or October or January? Four years and every year it is the same thing. Can somebody explain this to me in a light that is positive for the coaching staff?
It's hard to convince guys that it's 'do or die' in November.
Actually, it might have something to do with losing some of our best players each year and then learning to gel with new, usually younger, unproven guys in our ranks.

If there's no lockout, we should see more consistency next year.

Old
03-24-2004, 04:03 PM
theoil

Quote:
It's hard to convince guys that it's 'do or die' in November.
Actually, it might have something to do with losing some of our best players each year and then learning to gel with new, usually younger, unproven guys in our ranks.

If there's no lockout, we should see more consistency next year.
Maybe. But I agree with you that hope springs eternal. Both for the season & that we can break out of this cycle.

Closed Thread