HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Canadian Teams Ranking

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2004, 12:19 AM
Blatherblah

vCash: 500
Canadian Teams Ranking

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=64149

In that thread (It's in the NHL board if the link doesn't work), a lot of people rank the Oilers last of all six Canadian teams, some claiming that the Oil will be "too burnt out" after this big run, if (when? ) we make it.

Some just say the Oilers suck.

I vehemently disagree. Then again, I'm an Oilers fan. I'd say the Oilers are at least as good as Calgary and the current Canucks, except with the big question mark in net for the playoffs (not that Salo did us any favours this year).

I also don't think playing this hard will exhaust them. Sure it's tiring, but these are professional athletes and I'd think coming off a huge push into the playoffs would energize them more than exhaust them, at least for the first round.

What do you guys think?

(BTW as you can probably tell from the number of posts I have and my join date, I'm pretty new here)

Old
03-24-2004, 12:25 AM
Cerebral

I'd personally put us right beside Calgary.. I think Vancouver is last with Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal leading the way. Calgary has been playing some very lacklustre hockey of late (on home ice as well) so it's tough to say how well they'll do. The argument can be made that we'll be exhausted if we do make the playoffs but I personally would rather be a bit tired and in the midst of a big winning streak than fresh but stuck in a slump..

Old
03-24-2004, 12:28 AM
momentai

Join date means nothing. All it gives you is some familiarity with other posters; I don't put too much stock into it.

Personally, I could definitely see the Oilers sufferring a bit of lag at some point either during this run at the playoffs or in the playoffs themselves. Even if it isn't physically fatiguing (though, it probably is), the mental strain that they are taking has got to be big. Every single game, they are coming in with the mentality that they CANNOT lose. That has to take its toll.

I can definitely see the concern there. Will it happen? Who knows. But it's something to worry about... that's for sure.

Old
03-24-2004, 01:02 AM
IceDragoon

Welcome Ikcotyck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Join date means nothing. All it gives you is some familiarity with other posters; I don't put too much stock into it.
Exactly.
Quote:
Personally, I could definitely see the Oilers sufferring a bit of lag at some point either during this run at the playoffs or in the playoffs themselves. Even if it isn't physically fatiguing (though, it probably is), the mental strain that they are taking has got to be big. Every single game, they are coming in with the mentality that they CANNOT lose. That has to take its toll.

I can definitely see the concern there. Will it happen? Who knows. But it's something to worry about... that's for sure.
For starters, I don't think it's a "cannot lose" mentality, at all.
It's more a calm, focussed;
"We know our jobs.
We know we are capable of beating every team we face.
We'll bleed for our teammates and we know they'll bleed for us.
We'll do whatever it takes to get the job done." etc...

And, altho games are hard work; practices are light skates.
Yeah, they may not go full tilt every game, but they won't be burned out.
No worries. (they give you worry lines)
Smile lines are much more flattering.

Old
03-24-2004, 01:10 AM
momentai

Oh I'm pretty sure that they're still scoreboard watching and know how tight the race is at this point. They keep stating the fact that "they need wins and that is all that matters". I think BG said that in a brief interview on the Score.

They may be calm and poised on the ice... but I'd have to say they know they need to keep winning to qualify for the playoffs. The fact that there is so very little room for error - one loss (especially against LA or Nashville in the previous games) could spell the end of the season realistically.

It's that kind of pressure I can definitely see them experiencing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
No worries. (they give you worry lines)
Smile lines are much more flattering.
I'd like to. But that's not me. I'm more apt to worry about things I have little control over than brush it off, smile and hope for the best. But that's just me.

Old
03-24-2004, 01:22 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Oh I'm pretty sure that they're still scoreboard watching and know how tight the race is at this point. They keep stating the fact that "they need wins and that is all that matters". I think BG said that in a brief interview on the Score.

They may be calm and poised on the ice... but I'd have to say they know they need to keep winning to qualify for the playoffs. The fact that there is so very little room for error - one loss (especially against LA or Nashville in the previous games) could spell the end of the season realistically.

It's that kind of pressure I can definitely see them experiencing...
OK, maybe a few of the guys are scared spitless for periods of time off the ice.
But, the leaders have them focussed on the ice.
It's all good.

Old
03-24-2004, 10:01 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

One thing Oilers lack is a true superstar. Calgary has Iginla, and Vancouver has Naslund and Bertuzzi.
TOP END PLAYERS
1)Van
2)Cgy
3)Edm

When you go down the roster however, I think that the Oilers have the most depth and versatility in their line-up. All year, there have been guys like Horcoff, Pisani, Torres who've been able to not only crack the top 6, put play EXTREMELY well there. Moreau's got 20 goals and hasnt even got a sniff of PP time. We've also had talents like Hemsky, Isibister etc who've been demoted and have fulfilled roles they wouldnt usually be called on to fulfill.
Calgary added more depth over the last month, and are also very well balanced, but I think they still need a little more. Vancouver IMO, doesnt have alot once you get past their top 2 stars. If the Sedin's could break through and be consistent Id have to change my mind.
ROSTER (OFFENSE)
1)Edmonton
2)Calgary
3)Vancouver

On Defense, I think Vancouver has the most talent, but Edmonton is the most balanced, Calgary's is good.

In net, Kipper has been solid for Calgary, Oilers have Conklin and Jussi who have both been tremendous as of late, Vancouver has Clouts and Hedberg, both are good, but tend to let you down more often than not.

Coaching
1)Sutter
2)MacT
3)Crawford

Old
03-24-2004, 11:18 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
I agree with everything you said with the exception of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
On Defense, I think Vancouver has the most talent, but Edmonton is the most balanced, Calgary's is good.
I agree that Vancouver has more elite D-men (Jovo, Ohlund), but I think that overall, Calgary has the better defence.

Old
03-24-2004, 02:39 PM
Matts

Well

I like the Flames D and I like Sutter's recent acquisitions but I can't help but thinking that from the goalie out the Oilers are better than the Flames. But when you have Kiprusoff giving up 2 goals or less in some many games it's hard not to grab points out of that.

There's no point looking toward the East because teh Oilers arne't close to any of those three Can teams

Old
03-24-2004, 02:41 PM
momentai

Let me be the first to say that I cannot expect Kipper to maintain his current level of play for next season. I love the guy and all... but he's playing way above his head at the moment IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to see a little bit of a letdown next season.

Old
03-24-2004, 03:38 PM
copperandblue

If I was to handicap the teams for the first round (seems to be the wild card round) I would say that between the western Canadian teams it is a total toss up.

I would be willing to bet my wife's dog (that way it's a win win wager, but I digress) that Calgary will get to the second round. I don't think they are better than any other Canadian team necessarily but if Kiprusoff continues to shine he can steal a series by himself. Combine that with the "first time playoff hunger" that tends to show itself in teams that have traditionally missed the show and they become a dangerous club. Basically they are too ignorant to know that they are supposed to lose.

Vancouver should be the favourite of the three western clubs but there is something that just aint right with them right now. They will miss Bertuzzi no doubt and their goaltending can be down right aweful at times and overall average at best. They are also a team that for some reason has shown the swagger of a contender despite not actually showing any post season success what so ever. I think this could be a problem, I think they are having a tough time mentally get into their games and if it continues into the playoffs they are toast. Out of the western teams, I say they are ripe for the picking.

Edmonton is a tough call. I look at this team right now and I would say that they could be the best post season club we have seen here for a long time. I really like the make up. I even like the goaltending simply because at the very least they are steady and there isn't any real expectations on them other than that steadiness. They can come out simply play their game. The problem I have is that I can still see the Oilers miss the playoffs all together which would be a real shame. I also think that this stretch drive could take a bit of a toll on them but not as much as other years simply because theya re much deeper than previous years and aren't relying on just 3 or 4 guys to get them there. I say they can play with any team ahead of them and beat them... if they make it.

It's funny because if there were 15 or 20 games left instead of 6, I could almost see Vancouver falling out of the playoffs all together and Edmonton fighting for 5th or 6th. Oh well.

For the East (just for fun)

Montreal is probably the strongest. Everyone is going for them and their coaching is very good. They are very capabale team and definately should make it out of the first round.

Ottawa is also very capable but it will be very interesting to see how short of a lease Lalime is kept on. I almost wouldn't even want to make a prediction for them.

Toronto I think will be in for an eye opener this year. I think their playoffs will be brief. All of their stars are another year older and these same guys were considered to be up in age 3 years ago when they were Canada's "favourites". They have proven that their players don't hold up to the physical playoff tyle and there is no reason to believe that will change. I say they are most likely to be a first round upset.

Old
03-24-2004, 03:50 PM
Matts

The Avalanche

have shown a lack of heart in some playoff series. So if the Flames get them, they could most certainly take them out and I wouldn't bat an eyelash

Old
03-24-2004, 03:56 PM
barto

I'm not really worried about the Oilers getting burnt out or tired - I figure they'll have lots of time to rest after their FIRST-ROUND SWEEP of...whoever. And then there's possibly a whole YEAR to rest up after this season, right?

Bart

Old
03-24-2004, 04:12 PM
Mr Sakich

until we actually clinch a playoff spot, 6th is a fair ranking. If we accomplish something beyond that, then I would like to see the poll done again.

Closed Thread