HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unsigned Junior Players

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2004, 01:07 AM
Hemsky01

vCash: 500
Unsigned Junior Players

Since Edmonton is usually not in the bidding for Unrestricted Free Agents, I'm just wondering if some of you have any ideas on some junior or College players that the Oilers should sign. Naturally, since I had this idea, I think I have the prime Candidate.

My pick is Seth Leonard. He's 5'8, 172 pound left winger and plays for the PA Raiders. He got 50 goals and 90 points this year and has been an offensive dynamo on a team that struggles to create offence. I know, some of you will say, what do we want with a small winger but heres my argument. I don't have a link for this but I heard on the radio today (from Brian Munz, voice of the raiders) that Leonard has scored 30 of his goals against Brandon and Moose Jaw. Now for some of you, that may not make any difference but I have been to 4 games where PA has played either of those teams and those are the hardest hitting, tightest checking, clutch and grab games you are ever going to see in junior hockey. These are the 2 teams they have been battling in the standings all year. This guy is absolutely clutch!! My pick for the next Martin St.Louis.

I would love to hear other ideas of players or maybe other comments on Leonard if you have seen him play.

Old
03-18-2004, 01:45 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
I saw Leonard play about ten days ago in Red Deer. He had a pretty good game and is the leader on his team in points I beleive. But like you said, he's really small.

Another little guy I saw and liked a lot was Chris. St. Jacques from the Medicine Hat Tigers. I think he's an Edmonton kid and he actually reminded me a lot of Mike York.
But again, he's another small guy.

To be honest, I've become a fan of one Red Deer Rebel this year that I've seen a handful of times now. 6-4, 200 lbs winger Justin Taylor. He's a free agent and the two games in march that I saw he was the best Rebel both nights.

Old
03-18-2004, 11:45 AM
aspin

My vote is for Scott Lynch. He is doing good this year. Bring the Lynch boys back together again.well at least two for now.

Old
03-18-2004, 11:59 AM
barto

I don't have ANY problem going after talented small guys. I know the Oilers were in a situation with 3 small centers (York, Comrie, Marchant) and that wasn't a great situation for the playoffs, but consider that a junior player signed as a free agent is 2-4 years from having a chance at the NHL and how much can change until then, and we might be really wanting/needing a guy who can spark the team offensively, no matter what his size.

And if one of them turns out to be the next York or St. Louis, we'd be laughing... (etc.)

Bart

Old
03-18-2004, 12:18 PM
oh_canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
I saw Leonard play about ten days ago in Red Deer. He had a pretty good game and is the leader on his team in points I beleive. But like you said, he's really small.

Another little guy I saw and liked a lot was Chris. St. Jacques from the Medicine Hat Tigers. I think he's an Edmonton kid and he actually reminded me a lot of Mike York.

To be honest, I've become a fan of one Red Deer Rebel this year that I've seen a handful of times now. 6-4, 200 lbs winger Justin Taylor. He's a free agent and the two games in march that I saw he was the best Rebel both nights.

Guy I coached against Chris when he was a bantam, he was very quick and tough to contain, I believe he led the Bantam AAA league in scoring his second year, excellent skill player at that age. I thought he was drafted though....

Old
03-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_canuck
Guy I coached against Chris when he was a bantam, he was very quick and tough to contain, I believe he led the Bantam AAA league in scoring his second year, excellent skill player at that age. I thought he was drafted though....

You might be right but I thought he was listed as a free agent. Perhaps he was drafted at 18, unsigned and then didn't get picked up again when he went back into the draft? I don't know but I thought the game sheet I had when I saw Medicine Hat VS Lethbridge said he was FA.

I could be wrong.

Old
03-18-2004, 03:28 PM
Hellström

Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
Quote:
You might be right but I thought he was listed as a free agent. Perhaps he was drafted at 18, unsigned and then didn't get picked up again when he went back into the draft? I don't know but I thought the game sheet I had when I saw Medicine Hat VS Lethbridge said he was FA.

I could be wrong.
Chris St.Jacques was never drafted - not from a NHL-Team, well hockeydb tells it this way.

As for unsigned juniors, i´d take a shot at:

Sean Fields - College-Goalie
Thomas Pock - Austrian Defenseman
Toni Soderholm - remember him from last year ?? He obviously had an offer from Edmonton and played excellent statswise in Finalnd (16 + 21 as a dman).

Ryan Hollweg - he had a concussion and the Rangers didn´t sign him, but he´s back, so he might be worth a flyer
Fabien Laniel - Winger and FA from the QMJHL

Old
03-18-2004, 06:14 PM
oilerdynasty

Quote:

Just say no to Leonard. He did nothing last year. Got removed from Kelowna two years ago. He's a floater not just soft.

I'd like to suggest a player, but I'm not sure who's unsigned. Draft? See me then.

Old
03-18-2004, 09:53 PM
Tarkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_canuck
Jocko is definitely skilled. He plays the 1st PP and PK units, and (if I'm not mistaken) led the league this season in PPG. He was on a tryout contract with Dallas' farm team in Utah, which is why he didn't play a full WHL season.

I can confirm that he's never been drafted--but if he were 6' instead of 5'8", he'd have gone in the top three rounds. I'd take him on my team anyday.

Old
03-18-2004, 10:56 PM
oh_canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus
Jocko is definitely skilled. He plays the 1st PP and PK units, and (if I'm not mistaken) led the league this season in PPG. He was on a tryout contract with Dallas' farm team in Utah, which is why he didn't play a full WHL season.

I can confirm that he's never been drafted--but if he were 6' instead of 5'8", he'd have gone in the top three rounds. I'd take him on my team anyday.

He has been overlooked alot....when he was a first year bantam he played AA, I thougth he was a pretty damn good player to be in bantam aa

Old
03-24-2004, 03:14 PM
Sabes

I also think highly of Seth Leonard. He plays in all situations for P.A plus he was their leading scorer.

Old
03-24-2004, 03:20 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakos
Toni Soderholm - remember him from last year ?? He obviously had an offer from Edmonton and played excellent statswise in Finalnd (16 + 21 as a dman).
Oh yeah... I forgot all about him. I think the rumours were that Edmonton and Chicago were interested. I guess the offers weren't good enough.

Old
03-24-2004, 04:18 PM
Hellström

Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Oh yeah... I forgot all about him. I think the rumours were that Edmonton and Chicago were interested. I guess the offers weren't good enough.
Didn´t Söderhölm state that he wants one more season of seasoning in Europe ??

It would be perfect now to bring him over (16 goals + 21 assists as a defenseman in 56 games)
6 ft 2, might need some more muscles (185 lbs), 26 years old, Free Agent, plays for a good team in Finland and gets a lot of minutes.
Would be very finde and i think he´d do better than Luoma (i´m not saying Luoma sucks, but Söderhölm looks a little bit better - IMO)

Old
03-24-2004, 05:39 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakos
Thomas Pock - Austrian Defenseman
Unfortanetly, he is now a Ranger. Cross him off your wish list.

Old
03-24-2004, 05:47 PM
Heathen

Send a message via ICQ to Heathen Send a message via AIM to Heathen Send a message via MSN to Heathen Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen
Ryan Hollweg would be a great pick-up for someone.... he's a monster.

Jocko is an amazing talent.... he's small though... which will put teams off. But I'd take the risk...

Old
03-24-2004, 07:46 PM
oilerdynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabes
I also think highly of Seth Leonard. He plays in all situations for P.A plus he was their leading scorer.
7 points and a +/- of a whopping +1

A blip? 90 points, 50 goals, +17.

Weak defensively.

Pass on junk like this.

Old
03-24-2004, 07:51 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerdynasty
7 points and a +/- of a whopping +1

A blip? 90 points, 50 goals, +17.

Weak defensively.

Pass on junk like this.
If someone scores 50 goals in peewee you've gotta have a look at them.

Closed Thread