HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Proposals (involves your 1st pick)

Old
10-30-2007, 11:52 PM
ThorntonFan19

vCash: 500
Trade Proposals (involves your 1st pick)

Hey guys Sharks fan here, I was just wondering how much it would take to take that first of yours off your hands and thought you might be interested in what I'm going to offer. These proposals are made if you guys have a top 3 1st (not trying to say you guys will do that bad).

To NSH: Pavelski, SJ 1st and 2nd in 08
To SJ: NSH 1st in 08
or
To NSH: Cheechoo, SJ 1st in 08
To SJ : NSH 1st in 08
or
To NSH: Ehrhoff, SJ 1st in 08
or
To NSH: Pavelski, Ehrhoff, 3rd in 08

Cheechoo is trailling off in san jose and with setoguchi coming up he is expendable. I can still see cheechoo score 25 goals a year without Jumbo Joe. With Mitchell working his but off and performing well Pavelski is expendable. Also IMO Ehrhoff could be traded as he needs a change of scenery (sp).

What do you guys think? Am I wasting my time?

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 01:00 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
Hey guys Sharks fan here, I was just wondering how much it would take to take that first of yours off your hands and thought you might be interested in what I'm going to offer. These proposals are made if you guys have a top 3 1st (not trying to say you guys will do that bad).

To NSH: Pavelski, SJ 1st and 2nd in 08
or
To NSH: Cheechoo, SJ 1st in 08
To SJ : NSH 1st in 08
or
To NSH: Ehrhoff, SJ 1st in 08
or
To NSH: Pavelski, Ehrhoff, 3rd in 08

Cheechoo is trailling off in san jose and with setoguchi coming up he is expendable. I can still see cheechoo score 25 goals a year without Jumbo Joe. With Mitchell working his but off and performing well Pavelski is expendable. Also IMO Ehrhoff could be traded as he needs a change of scenery (sp).

I think you're wasting your time ... we might need BOTH of those draft picks

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 06:36 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post

Any GM trading a top 5 draft choice in either '08 or '09 should be fired - that's it, that's all. I'm serious when I say this. We've been told that the next two drafts will be strong ones and the top picks, especially, should be left alone (That is, if a team is serious about rebuilding). These are critical opportunities for building and rebuilding teams and they shouldn't be squandered.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 08:44 AM
vopatsrash

David Poile likes his draft picks. In addition to his love of draft picks, the Predators have pretty much had the worst lottery luck you could have in the non-playoff years. I think the only year they didn't pick at the lowest possible slot, they picked at the second lowest possible slot, hence their never getting an Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby, Kovalchuk, Nash, Heatley, Spezza, Lecavlier-type player (draft geek squad...I know nashville wasn't eligible for the top pick in the years of some of those players, i'm just rattling off top 2 pick names out of laziness).

If one or both of those picks are 1-2 and/or both are top 5, I don't see Poile trading them. If he does a fire sale involving Arnott, Dumont, Zidlicky and scores another first round pick in the process, then I could see a trade.

On the other hand....are there any under-sized puck moving defensemen in the top 5? If not, then all bets are off on Poile trading out or trading down.

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 09:17 AM
xEx

If things keep on going as it is, I can see Nashville being sellers at the deadline. Maybe they'll have 3 or 4 first round picks this year.

xEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 09:28 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by xEx View Post
If things keep on going as it is, I can see Nashville being sellers at the deadline. Maybe they'll have 3 or 4 first round picks this year.
I hate to say this but if a team is going to bottom out, now is the time to do it. Two strong drafts and lots of picks? GM's would be giving eye teeth and first born for this situation. It's tough on fans in the short term but just wait...

Last edited by Mike Jones: 10-31-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Old
10-31-2007, 09:51 AM
vopatsrash

I know a fire sale would have to bring back some salary for salary floor purposes, so it's not like Poile can use Arnott, Dumont, Zids, de Vries, etc. for just picks.

Not being a salary cap expert, would signing up Weber and Suter to long terms deals during the season count towards this year's cap? If it does, locking up Weber, Suter, and Legwand during the season (assuming they want to sign here) might be able to offset the loss of salary of a fire sale, thus yielding more picks.

Old
10-31-2007, 10:08 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by vopatsrash View Post
I know a fire sale would have to bring back some salary for salary floor purposes, so it's not like Poile can use Arnott, Dumont, Zids, de Vries, etc. for just picks.

Not being a salary cap expert, would signing up Weber and Suter to long terms deals during the season count towards this year's cap? If it does, locking up Weber, Suter, and Legwand during the season (assuming they want to sign here) might be able to offset the loss of salary of a fire sale, thus yielding more picks.
One thing GM's did this past season was make trades that included 2 or 3 elements. Most of their deadline trades included picks, prospects, and/or low level roster players to fill the roster (And salary) spots left by the departing players. This is probably the best way to go when it comes to rebuilding. Collect the picks and prospects, but also provide for the current situation by bringing players who can join the lineup immediately.

Old
10-31-2007, 10:16 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
I believe it does not count towards this year's cap, but I may be wrong.

Irish Blues usually pops up right about now...

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 10:53 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
So it's not even November and we're already talking about tanking and getting a lottery pick? I haven't given up yet myself.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 11:15 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
So it's not even November and we're already talking about tanking and getting a lottery pick? I haven't given up yet myself.
Maybe I should have used the term "Bottoming out" instead (It doesn't sound so intentional and I really didn't want to suggest anything). I'll go back and make the change.

Old
10-31-2007, 11:33 AM
xEx

Quote:

No I don't think it would count against the cap.

With the cap most likely salaries would have to come back, but teams against the cap usually have one player (Hatcher, Theodore, Gill, Kubina, etc.) they would like or need to get rid of inorder to add more pieces. Like the NJ Devils and Sharks trade last year.

Nashville can take on salaries (hopefully expiring) at the deadline for two months which is good for the cap number but won't hurt the bank account too much. As long as a 1st is coming to Nashville with the pylon.

xEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 12:48 PM
volzok

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
I agree. Watching the first 15 minutes of the 3rd period last night gives me some hope. I am going to give this team at least another month before I give up. If we can get that kind of play for a majority of the game, this team can be a pretty good team. But on the other hand, I do want to see improvement as the month goes on. We have 8 straight against the division after the western Canada trip. If we don't split the first 4, then it maybe time to start worrying.

volzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 01:00 PM
vopatsrash

I haven't given up. I'm just interested in having two picks and the ramifications of a fire sale.

Chris Mason won't play like this all season. I think he has a hot streak in him and I think he can follow up a hot streak with his normal consistent play.

And, 2 season ago, the sharks were 8-12-4 at the end of November and they beat the Preds in the first round. Of course, we're not going to get a Joe Thornton to come in and save the day...hell, we couldn't even afford to get Scott Thornton...

Old
10-31-2007, 01:37 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

To MTL: Jason Arnott and JP Dumont

To NSH: Michael Ryder, Ben Maxwell and 2008 1st

You could then ship Ryder for another 1st round pick and a prospect (depending of the pick). Of course, such a trade would be later in the season.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 01:49 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by No More Russians View Post
You could then ship Ryder for another 1st round pick and a prospect (depending of the pick). Of course, such a trade would be later in the season.
Ryder won't bring back a 1st let alone a 1st and a prospect.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 02:09 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Ryder won't bring back a 1st let alone a 1st and a prospect.
Yeah, remember Rivet last year? And what about Nagy you smart man?

Let be honest. If Ryder can't get a 1st then you should keep Dumont when you'll do your firesale since he will bring nothing of value (I'm following your logic here, that's not what I'm thinking).

Ryder >= Dumont

I think Maxwell, who is a really good prospect and likely a future 2nd line center, the 1st and the difference between Ryder and Dumont is a good value for Arnott.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
To MTL: Jason Arnott and JP Dumont

To NSH: Michael Ryder, Ben Maxwell and 2008 1st

Flipping Ryder would leave some pretty big holes in the Nashville lineup. They would still have to finish the season and it wouldn't be pretty.

Old
10-31-2007, 04:54 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I seriously doubt Nashville will have a top 10 pick this year. Even if we miss the playoffs, we should be closer to a .500 team than a .400 team.

10-31-2007, 07:54 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yeah, remember Rivet last year? And what about Nagy you smart man?

Let be honest. If Ryder can't get a 1st then you should keep Dumont when you'll do your firesale since he will bring nothing of value (I'm following your logic here, that's not what I'm thinking).

Ryder >= Dumont

I think Maxwell, who is a really good prospect and likely a future 2nd line center, the 1st and the difference between Ryder and Dumont is a good value for Arnott.
"I should keep Dumont"? I'm not Poile. It's not up to me.

And wasn't last year the one where 5 or 6 first round picks were traded by the deadline, which was pretty much unprecedented? We're talking about 2008 - it will be a lot harder to get 1st rounders. A soon-to-be UFA in Michael Ryder will be very lucky to get any more than a 2nd.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote