HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Destroyed?

Old
11-01-2007, 06:53 AM
RobertKron

vCash: 500
The three worst hits I can think of taking were as follows:

I'm a defenseman, and this biiig kid (6'0"ish 225ish. Kinda fat, but solid as hell.) who likes to dangle and show off comes down my side several times in a row, I play the one-on-one, watch his chest, knock the puck away, we break out of the zone. Play comes down on a future shift, kid cuts to other side of ice and rings it around the boards hard. I get the Han Solo "I've got a bad feeling about this" thing going on in my head, but I know I have to go get the puck. Go around into the corner to retrieve the puck, and the guy has pretty much sprinted in as soon as he saw me turn to get it. I know he's coming, but it's my corner, and I'm committed. Chip the puck around and get against the boards to absorb what I expect will be a big, clean hit. Guy leaves his feet. Elbow to head. I wobble off to the bench. The guy who comes over the boards for me, who is usually my defense partner, makes a b-line for the guy, fights him, and breaks his nose (or at least it sure as hell looked broken. Crooked and bleeding.).

We're down by a goal and I carry the puck up ice from our zone into the offensive zone, continue down the side boards and around behind the net, cut up towards the middle hashmarks and deliver a cross-crease pass. Get absolutely destroyed with a heavy and clean shoulder to the chest by the winger who would have normally been out at my point. Get up and try to figure out how to start breathing again while aiming in the general direction of the bench. We didn't end up scoring on the play either, so I didn't even have that for consolation.

Playing beer-league hockey against this team of guys who think that there are NHL scouts in the building or something, judging by the way they play. There's about 10 seconds left and this guy is coming down on a one-on-one. I'm playing it normally and closing the gap, and then he just up and crosschecks me straight in the face. I apparently dropped like I had just been shot, and then got up and went after him like I was going to kill him, but I don't really remember what happened. I guess there was apparently already a bit of a puddle of blood on the ice by the time I got up, too, as I was bleeding like crazy out my nose. The whole thing started a line brawl and I never ended up getting at the guy. The next thing I really solidly remember is being lying down on a bench in the dressing room with a towel on my face.

I swear, I've taken and seen way more and worse cheap shots in adult rec league hockey than I ever did anywhere else. It's ridiculous. I had a guy who I somehow offended at some point threaten to "end my career" (my "career?" Are you serious? My team doesn't even have matching socks, and it's 10:30PM on a tuesday night. I'm pretty sure that if this was my "career," you'd be doing me a favour by ending it.) in the warmup and then come after me all game every time we played for 2 years. This was because I deked him out 3 times in one game and he claimed that I was being a hot dogger, and that this was apparently bull ****.

One thing I really miss in rec league hockey, though, is taking a solid check. Not necessarily the huge ones that hurt you, but just the solid, knock-you-on-your-ass type every once in a while.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 10:53 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
I swear, I've taken and seen way more and worse cheap shots in adult rec league hockey than I ever did anywhere else. It's ridiculous. I had a guy who I somehow offended at some point threaten to "end my career" (my "career?" Are you serious? My team doesn't even have matching socks, and it's 10:30PM on a tuesday night. I'm pretty sure that if this was my "career," you'd be doing me a favour by ending it.) in the warmup and then come after me all game every time we played for 2 years. This was because I deked him out 3 times in one game and he claimed that I was being a hot dogger, and that this was apparently bull ****.
Haha, classic. Thanks for the laugh

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 11:45 AM
nni

in high school i got hit really good once that i can remember. i remember it because i had snot bubbles in my nose, and thats the sign of a good hit. my D was behind our net, and i was at the circle trying to break out, and i know there is a forward at the blue line steaming towards me, so he throws the puck right into my skates, and i know whats coming, i quickly get rid of the puck, then get layed out. i hate those F you passes.

nni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 11:33 PM
JohnTonelliRises
Tonelli Approves↓

Lol, well me and this guy I know were just messing around and he decided to Alexei Kovalev me and I got knocked on my ass pretty good. Anyway, I got back up and had a good laugh from it.

However, I got him back when least expected it when he was by the boards. He was trying to get the puck and I just had a nice hard pin against the boards on him ( not a check). Then at a later time in the game I almost flipped the puck carrier over the boards. Lucky I just knocked him off the puck and didn't finish the check because we would have both went over if I did lol.

JohnTonelliRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Nostradanglus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
The guy who comes over the boards for me, who is usually my defense partner, makes a b-line for the guy, fights him, and breaks his nose (or at least it sure as hell looked broken. Crooked and bleeding.).
Great linemate. Hope he got a few beers for that

Nostradanglus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Gallick

I had one instance in contact minor hockey when I was around 16 that stood out. I was coming out my own zone with my head down (my fault!) and just got absolutely flattened open-ice by a guy probably 4 or 5 inches taller than me. His shoulder clipped my head, and I did kind of a sideways flip and landed on my stomach. Didn't hurt and got up instantly, then I took about ten steps, almost fell down, and went to the bench.

Gallick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 12:54 AM
saveourpens

I had a few instances in high school hockey where I was admiring my pass along the boards , then seemingly out of nowhere a guy comes straight at me.

Its a hard feeling to explain, but my head (thank god for helmets) would just smash on the glass. Its feels wierd because you didn't even know they were coming. bang . and then its over

But the most pain I've ever gotten from a hit is getting the wind knocked out of me.

i almost forgot...

I tried to hit this guy who was the biggest mother****er on their team and im a rather small guy. I wanted to catch him with his head down but as im striding towards him hes already waiting for me. I end up laying on the ice (the medical guy is running out) for about a minute trying to catch my breath while hes looking down at me and a few hundred fans (it was senior night for the other team) have a nice laugh. my most embaressing hockey moment ever

Last edited by saveourpens: 11-10-2007 at 01:09 AM.
saveourpens is offline   Reply With Quote