HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2004 draft??

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2004, 05:46 PM
Carbonneau

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Fransson should be right there as well, just going off Savard's comments from last year. Then there's Bruce Graham who looks like a great pick as well. Bolland I like as well David Booth but not at 20th or so. Too bad there's no 2nd rounder for us.

Smid is one guy I'm not sold on, as well as Mike Green and Evan McGrath (who I like but not in the 1st round)

I think Bruce Graham is going to be picked at the start of the 2nd round, which means we'll probably miss out on him.

Old
03-16-2004, 09:02 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
I dont know what players exactly, but i think in the 1st round they should go after another D(right handed if possible) and in the 2nd round a big Centre(thats if they still have a second pick left).

Either way we need more D in our system, espicially righ handed ones. We have more than enough forwards to develope, over the net few years.
Exactly right. Right handed D is a huge concern. For that matter, I would go one step further and say it might be worthwhile to make sure that big C is right handed as well. We have already seen BG and CJ work magic with centres on the wing, so why not take a step to set us up just in case. We have a lot of LH players already, making it harder to mix and match centres and wings.

Old
03-16-2004, 09:07 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
I dont know what players exactly, but i think in the 1st round they should go after another D(right handed if possible) and in the 2nd round a big Centre(thats if they still have a second pick left).

Either way we need more D in our system, espicially righ handed ones. We have more than enough forwards to develope, over the net few years.
Exactly. We could use a big time RH D, and I would go one step further and say the the big C should be RH as well. We have seen BG and CJ work magic with centres on the wing (maybe because we don't have enough LW), and a RH shot would give more flexibility for future tinkering. I'm a little alarmed that Darren Langdon is listed as a top 3 left wing on the roster.... While we have good players playing LW, a few are natural C, which isn't ideal.

Pardon the double post... my browser/connection are Phux0rred.

Last edited by s7ark: 03-16-2004 at 09:14 PM. Reason: double post
Old
03-16-2004, 09:29 PM
Mike8

Since I don't think Tukonen will last, I like Berti and Booth a lot as darkhorse picks. Don't think Booth will be a legit first round pick, but Berti might be.

Old
03-16-2004, 09:36 PM
L3DZ3P

Maybe Drew Stafford? What do you guys think of guy like David Bolland?He is suppose to be a very good offensive talent but the habs have already a lot of guys like him in the minor.

Old
03-16-2004, 10:29 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonneau
I think Bruce Graham is going to be picked at the start of the 2nd round, which means we'll probably miss out on him.

I don't see Graham going past 25th. I've heard several teams are very interested in him and would be shocked if he didn't go in the top 15 unless he falls apart in the playoffs.

Old
03-16-2004, 10:32 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Since I don't think Tukonen will last, I like Berti and Booth a lot as darkhorse picks. Don't think Booth will be a legit first round pick, but Berti might be.

I like Booth a lot, but the knock on him is his lack of first step quickness and foot speed. I think he'd make a great 2nd round pick, too bad we don't have one cause we could use a big LW that has a good powerful stride and offensive abilities.

Berti and Garlock are 2 guys that have had injury problems but have impressive size that some team will take a shot on. Berti I could see in the first, with Garlock in the 2nd or 3rd.

Old
03-17-2004, 06:45 AM
Marchy79

Though I believe in the BPA mentality... I am really hoping for another Right handed defenceman is going to be ours with the first round pick.

After Komi... the Right side defence is IMO the most needed position, and I'd love to snag another potential top 4 RD for the future...

Old
03-17-2004, 06:56 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
Though I believe in the BPA mentality... I am really hoping for another Right handed defenceman is going to be ours with the first round pick.

After Komi... the Right side defence is IMO the most needed position, and I'd love to snag another potential top 4 RD for the future...
I'm fully behind this. We already have the luxury of lots of forwards, with atleast 4 or 5 (LW, C, and RW) almost ready for big league shots. Should Dykhuis and Quintal be removed from the habs plans, we'll need to replace Brisebois and Rivet's right hand shots before long. Something to plan for, unless we snag a right handed top 4 from somewhere.

Old
03-17-2004, 07:26 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:

yeah and if mike green drop and we select him! i'll be the happiest guy on earth !

Old
03-17-2004, 07:55 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
I'm fully behind this. We already have the luxury of lots of forwards, with atleast 4 or 5 (LW, C, and RW) almost ready for big league shots. Should Dykhuis and Quintal be removed from the habs plans, we'll need to replace Brisebois and Rivet's right hand shots before long. Something to plan for, unless we snag a right handed top 4 from somewhere.
Exactly what I was thinking

Breezy and Rivet are good... But they are starting to get long in the teeth... There are simply too many question marks after Komisarek in the RD prospects..

Archer is in the AHL, but hasn't impressed me this year... Korneev is talented but a bit on the small side, he may not make an impact at this level... And O'Byrne is an intriguing prospect, but he's definately not a sure bet yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
yeah and if mike green drop and we select him! i'll be the happiest guy on earth !
Mike Green.. He seems like an interesting prospect for sure

AS has always liked kids who can skate, and play a good all around game... This guy fits that mold perfectly

Old
03-17-2004, 12:10 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Berti and Garlock are 2 guys that have had injury problems but have impressive size that some team will take a shot on. Berti I could see in the first, with Garlock in the 2nd or 3rd.
Berti's got a nice big frame though, and he's a good skater. I think he'd be a great pick for Montreal.

While I like to subscribe to the best-player-available method in drafting, Berti's size, strength, willingness to go to the net and play along the boards, combined with a sound hockey sense and fundamentals of the game (solid on the PK), he makes for a good fit in the Hab prospect pool.

I don't see him ever being a catalyst of his line offensively, but certainly a player that can complement two more creative offensive players like a Plekanec and Perezhogin.

Old
03-17-2004, 10:11 PM
AE12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
Doubtful Adam Pineault will opt in. Some say he is overrated. His footwork is not close to NHL level

Pineault may not be in the position to opt in because of the rule, but Pineault is an exceptional skater.

Old
03-24-2004, 10:55 PM
AE12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
Doubtful Adam Pineault will opt in. Some say he is overrated. His footwork is not close to NHL level

Pineault is a good skater, power shot, has size, fights in the corners (and wins), great puck handler..this kid has all the skills needed for a top NHL draft pick.

Old
03-25-2004, 08:26 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Mike Green.. He seems like an interesting prospect for sure
AS has always liked kids who can skate, and play a good all around game... This guy fits that mold perfectly
Interesting choice. Not too big, but they guy is second in goals and points on his team with almost 40 pts in 60 games. Not bad for a d-man in the whl. Something to keep in mind! I also found this Shae Weber guy when I was looking around the WHL. Good size and decent scoring/clutch play. Is also a right handed shot. He's a Nashville pick (2nd round), so I wonder if we'd be able to get him for one of this year's draft picks and maybe something else. This other guy on the same team, Josh Gorges, is ripping up the WHL playoffs, has decent size and skills, and is undrafted. Can't remember if I've seen him ranked.

Old
03-25-2004, 08:46 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I recently started brushing up on my WHL again (I live in Edmonton now, so it's only proper), and found someone a lot of teams would drool over: Jeff Shultz. The guy is pronger sized, and put up 35 pts with +28 in his sophmore season with the Calgary Hitmen. He just turned 18, and might be begging to be turned into another Pronger! Left handed shot, which isn't exactly what we need back there, but I bet in a couple of years he'd be primo trade bait if nothing better.

On this note, Brett Carson is a huge RH d-man with some offense and is ranked 60th by steblick. Assuming we look for a talented 6ft+ RH defenseman, what other options are out there?

Closed Thread