HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

mason becoming the backup?

Old
11-02-2007, 12:55 AM
ashs

vCash: 500
mason becoming the backup?

with Ellis' recent play do u guys think Mason will lose his job as the starter?

ashs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 01:06 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I think he should.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 01:14 AM
Bourdon

I'm glad I kept Ellis on my fantasy pool, but Ellis has really poor rebound control. Mason should stay no.1, at least for now. I'm also glad that I took the chance to play him tonight.

Bourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 01:17 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Mason can't stop a puck right now and is on a 7 game losing skid, giving up a ton of goals in those 7 games. He should nto be a starter right now.

Old
11-02-2007, 08:12 AM
RollingPredFan

I think we have to ride Ellis for a while...

I hate that I know Mason is capable, see his 1st 2 games...

But for whatever reason Ellis is outplaying him and should go with him until we see Mason get back to form...

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I've said it so many times, but it is undeniably true - Trotz's system NEEDS and will THRIVE on a puck-handling goalie. Vokoun is one of the best goalies in the league, but he was in the wrong system. If Florida supports him as Nashville never did on puck-handling, he will re-emerge as one of the top 5 goalies in the league (my opinion of course). As for Mason, he suffers from the same type of thing. Poor puck-handler and a rebound-kicker. As a team, we do not block shots, and we rarely support the goalie in puck-handling situations (Zanon excluded on the shot-blocking). I think this causes problems when we are not very tight defensively. This is why I believe Ellis thriving right now. He can move the puck to our defenseman who are probably the most gifted set of puck-movers in the league. This makes up for the lack of offensive punch we have in the lineup because it gets our skilled defensemen involved. I will say that Mason has unbelievably bad team-play in front of him, whereas Ellis has had pretty good team play in front of him. However, you cannot overlook the puck-handling factor in Trotz's system and how it affects the play of the rest of the team.

To be honest, I think a 41/41 split may be best for this team, or at the least, a 50-32 split. Ellis is a good goalie and so is Mason. Lets keep them both fresh and see what happens.

11-02-2007, 12:12 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I think you have to ride Ellis right now while he's hot. He'll cool off soon enough and Mase will be back to being #1. It's funny...the last few years it seems our backup has played as well if not better than our #1. This makes you wonder if it has anything to do with the team having too much confidence in the #1 and not playing defense as tight as they do when the #2 is in or maybe even the difference in the way trotz coaches when it's the #1 or #2. Just a thought.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 02:29 PM
ashs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
I think you have to ride Ellis right now while he's hot. He'll cool off soon enough and Mase will be back to being #1. It's funny...the last few years it seems our backup has played as well if not better than our #1. This makes you wonder if it has anything to do with the team having too much confidence in the #1 and not playing defense as tight as they do when the #2 is in or maybe even the difference in the way trotz coaches when it's the #1 or #2. Just a thought.
i agree with you on this, the team that played calgary was horrible and completely left Mason out to dry.

ashs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 03:11 PM
lugnut76

I've been pretty critical of Mason and would agree that he has given up some pretty soft goals, but I think there is a difference between soft goals and weird goals and I don't think the word "soft" should always be associated with a shot that is not hard/fast. IMO Mason has been victimized a few times by poor execution of scoring chances and if the shooter had gotten a pass cleanly, gotten full wood on it, or had it not dribble off their sticks Mason may have had a better chance at the save. It has appeared to me that he has been in position to make the save on the shot that should have happened rather than the shot that resulted from poor execution. Not sure it really matters at the end of the day a goal is a goal.

To me our biggest deficiency is the defensive play of our defensemen. Maybe it's too old school for today's NHL (whatever that means) to expect defensemen to play defense first. I think the Predators may have had a hunch of what the new NHL might be like and how a team should change their roster to adapt (good skating, puck-moving, smallish but mobile defensemen) and I wonder if the Predators hunch may have been wrong. It seems to me size is winning out and size is drawing more penalties than speed. You can make a guy skate around you and take a step or two away simply by body position, but you can't stop a guy from skating right through you without holding, tripping, interfering, etc. unless you have some strength of your own; and without Weber we seem to play pretty small.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 03:31 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
This is off subject of the original post and I'll likely be flamed for this, but why don't we waive de vries and bring up alex henry? At this point we need some size and a stay-at-homer and he could possibly provide that.

Old
11-02-2007, 04:38 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Mason's problem is he cannot stop anything over his shoulders

Old
11-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
This is off subject of the original post and I'll likely be flamed for this, but why don't we waive de vries and bring up alex henry? At this point we need some size and a stay-at-homer and he could possibly provide that.
The only thing Alex Henry can prove by being brought up is that he belongs in the AHL.

He has size and that is it.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 10:08 PM
crossxcheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
The only thing Alex Henry can prove by being brought up is that he belongs in the AHL.

He has size and that is it.
that's about all de vries has, too.

Old
11-03-2007, 09:43 AM
predatorsdude

Well...Ellis had another strong outing last night.

predatorsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 11:19 AM
FanGirl10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingobangobongo View Post
I'm glad I kept Ellis on my fantasy pool, but Ellis has really poor rebound control. Mason should stay no.1, at least for now. I'm also glad that I took the chance to play him tonight.

Don't you mean MASON has really poor rebound control? I don't see Ellis letting any in.

FanGirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I think he should.
Ditto.
Until Ellis slows down, I feel the job is rightfully his.
He's more than earned it.

Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 11:15 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg View Post
Ditto.
Until Ellis slows down, I feel the job is rightfully his.
He's more than earned it.
so true, the shut outs and GA average speak for themselves.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 11:56 PM
hoppy
EK65

Send a message via MSN to hoppy
I'm guessing Ellis is to start tomorrow?

hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 02:04 PM
predatorsdude

I didn't read anything that indicated who would start tonight so we'll have to wait and see.

predatorsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Bourdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanGirl10 View Post
Don't you mean MASON has really poor rebound control? I don't see Ellis letting any in.
Doesn't mean that he doesn't have poor rebound control. He was much improved in the game against the Oilers though.

Bourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 05:26 PM
handtrick

Both leave big rebounds.

Both goalies will live and die by the defensive support that is there [or not there] to clear those rebounds.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Le depisteur

Mason in net tonight... OFFICIAL!

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 06:58 AM
handtrick

Interesting story about how Trotz is handling his goalie "situation."

http://e-paper.nashvillecitypaper.com/Dail...01900&BP=OK

Basicially he is not telling them who is playing until a time of his choosing the day of the game.....telling them to get a good meal, a good night sleep and prepare as if you are going to play to both goalies.

Interesting responses to that set up by both goalies.

Mason, the supposed #1:
I don't like it...I like to know ahead of time....but Barry is the coach so whatever.....

Ellis, the supposed #2:
I like it.....makes me not worry about it....it's predictable [?what?]......I hope Barry keeps doing it.

Of course the supposed #1 hates it, because it is saying that he isn't the true number one. Mason likes his routines, and this definitely disrupts his routine....it makes him be on edge, even when he is not starting....so theoretically he never gets a chance to truly relax. Could you imagine what Vokoun would have had to say about this setup....

Of course the the supposed #2 loves it, because he has a chance to be more of a 1a goalie. It also seems to fit Ellis's personality better as he appears more spontaneous and less rigid than Mason in his routines. Also there is a ceertain degree of Barry buttkissing going on here.

In reality what Trotz has done here is create #1 and #1a goalie situation here without giving Mason the humiliation of stripping him of his "#1 status". Interesting mind games here.....on the surface it would seem to play in to Ellis's personality make up and situation rather than Mason's.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 04:46 PM
wade

so i guess mason has taken back the sure #1 spot?

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 06:13 PM
BintZ

Yeah, I think Mason is number 1 now.

Last edited by BintZ: 11-19-2007 at 06:22 PM.
BintZ is offline   Reply With Quote