HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Russians clamping down on transfers

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2004, 05:36 PM
G Man 77

vCash: 500
Russians clamping down on transfers

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=77705

"The player-transfer contract between the NHL and the International Ice Hockey Federation expires at the end of this season. Some clubs in the Russian elite league have said they do not want to be a part of any new agreement."
"Without a player-transfer agreement, it would likely take longer to get European players into NHL uniforms."

I wonder how this affects us with Kastitsyn...

And does it help that he's not Russian?

Russia seems to be using the military service angle to put some pressure in negotiations... like they did with Zherdev.
But since Kastitsyn isn't Russian seems to me like they wouldn't have that argument at least.

Old
03-24-2004, 05:41 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Send a message via ICQ to Moumni_Bachir
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Man 77

"The player-transfer contract between the NHL and the International Ice Hockey Federation expires at the end of this season. Some clubs in the Russian elite league have said they do not want to be a part of any new agreement."
"Without a player-transfer agreement, it would likely take longer to get European players into NHL uniforms."

Russia seems to be using the military service angle to put some pressure in negotiations... like they did with Zherdev.
But since Kastitsyn isn't Russian seems to me like they wouldn't have that argument at least.
As this affect something that Zherdev was Ukrainian born?

Old
03-24-2004, 05:46 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

No Deal, No Kastsitsyn. As far as I know, Kastsitsyn is under contract with CSKA for one more year. I could easily be wrong since I'm going off the top of my head, but even still it will be interesting what the NHL does. I can't see how this is all up to the Russians. Sweden, Finland, Czech's, Slovaka's, Swiss, Germans, etc.. they are all involved with this as is any country that has prospects who are under contract with teams in their country and are drafted by NHL teams.

I can see the fees going up a good bit, especially for 1st rounders.

Old
03-24-2004, 06:23 PM
G Man 77

Just great... that's what I thought.

I'm just hoping the fact that he wasn't a top 5 in the draft will help... they can focus they fight on Ovechkin and let the "little fish" like Kastitsyn go

Still, we could have averted this had we brought him over this summer... I know Gainey tried.

I think the Russians are just pissed over the Zherdev incident and are looking to get back at the NHL through Ovechkin... the Russians are always vindictive like that. Never cross a Russian... hehe

Reminds me of the NBA who had the same complications in trying to get Yao Ming out of China...

Old
03-24-2004, 06:27 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Just great... that's what I thought.

I'm just hoping the fact that he wasn't a top 5 in the draft will help... they can focus they fight on Ovechkin and let the "little fish" like Kastitsyn go

Still, we could have averted this had we brought him over this summer... I know Gainey tried.

I think the Russians are just pissed over the Zherdev incident and are looking to get back at the NHL through Ovechkin... the Russians are always vindictive like that. Never cross a Russian... hehe

Reminds me of the NBA who had the same complications in trying to get Yao Ming out of China...

It will be interesting. At worst we'll have to wait another year for him to come, but it's really up in the air I would guess as I don't remember any problems with the IIHF in the past.

Old
03-25-2004, 07:05 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
It will be interesting. At worst we'll have to wait another year for him to come, but it's really up in the air I would guess as I don't remember any problems with the IIHF in the past.
One thing that might work in AK's favor is that he hasn't been able to make the Super League team on a regular basis, so they might just want to get out of having to pay him for another season...

Old
03-25-2004, 12:32 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Worst case scenario is the Habs wait out his contract with RSL and then he can sign with us with no fees being involved. Some of the NHL teams that are facing a bit of a cash crunch use this strategy all the time to avoid the fees.

But I agree with all-star, the team may be a little more likely to part with a player without asking a king's ransom if that player isn't even getting any ice time with them now (as is the case with our little AK).

Old
03-25-2004, 12:38 PM
tinyzombies

The NHL should play hardball. We aren't communists dammit. If the players want to come here, let them come.

Closed Thread