HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where does Hemsky fit in this Organization???

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2004, 01:00 AM
mrush

vCash: 500
Where does Hemsky fit in this Organization???

This has nothing to do with the Dallas game and his benching but im just wondering, next year in training camp if there is a season, i dont seem hemsky really fitting with this current roster

If we look at positions

LW

Smyth
Torres
Moreau
Chimera
Isbister he can play RW as well
Rita
Salmo and others fighting for spots i think Winchester is LW too? not sure

than at Centre still thin but if nedved signs and stays next year
we have

C
Nedved
York(i think he will play RW most likely next year unless stoll/horcoff play LW which would cause even more problems)
Stoll
Horcoff
Reasoner
And than prospects like pouilot wont make it and ninimaki*

and than here we go to RW big problem imo

RW
Dvorak
Isbister he will either play rw or lw but i think he will play rw since mact has been using him a lot there this year
York might play here if centre spot is fine
Hemsky
Laraque
Pisani

thats possibly 6RW's we can have. If isbister were to play LW and york centre than stoll/horcoff would have to play LW if nedved were to be traded but my gut tells me (reasoner will be gone in the offseason) and than we would have a problem with

Smyth, torres, moreau, stoll, horcoff and isbister playing LW, so the organization really need a big meeting in the off season and discuss what will happen with the roster since we have prospects wanting to join the big club as well so where does hemsky even fit with this team?

Laraque signed a 3year deal pisani, dont see him going anywhere. Dvorak will probably stay for couple of years. I dont even think Hemsky will even get a roster spot next year at training camp unless the team is addressed. We have way too many players and prospects wanting to play as well.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:24 AM
punk_o_holic

Now lets just say Oilers are giving up on them(aka Jani Rita situation)...Would you package him and Philly's first for a top 3 pick or is that over paying???

Old
03-25-2004, 01:27 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic
Now lets just say Oilers are giving up on them(aka Jani Rita situation)...Would you package him and Philly's first for a top 3 pick or is that over paying???
I wouldn't do it. Hemskey has proven infintely more in the NHL than any draft pick.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:29 AM
momentai

Let's put it this way. I would deal Dvorak before Hemsky in a second.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:34 AM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Let's put it this way. I would deal Dvorak before Hemsky in a second.
yah i would do that too but i dont know about the GM im nto giving up on hemsky i love him hes my favorite hockey player. but i just dont know if he will fit with the team unless some serious trades are done in the off season to create room for him. we have too many rw's and hemsky needs top 6 minutes and he wont get that next year.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:43 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrush
yah i would do that too but i dont know about the GM im nto giving up on hemsky i love him hes my favorite hockey player. but i just dont know if he will fit with the team unless some serious trades are done in the off season to create room for him. we have too many rw's and hemsky needs top 6 minutes and he wont get that next year.
Well, I think re-signing Nedved is far from a certainty. And Isbister being in the top six (or even around period) isn't a certainty.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:45 AM
oilboy

I can't even believe that this is a topic of conversation. Hemsky is a big part of this teams future. He's having a horrible spell, call it the sophmore jinks if you will, but he will pull through.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:50 AM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilboy
I can't even believe that this is a topic of conversation. Hemsky is a big part of this teams future. He's having a horrible spell, call it the sophmore jinks if you will, but he will pull through.
yah i know that, but im saying look at it
do you see laraque leaving anytime soon or pisani? thats two rw spots right there. than with york or isbister taking another if isbister stays but i want him to get traded. and you have dvorak.
so yah hemsky is a big part im just saying that the team has to get rid of a lot of players like the bottom six next year for others to get a decent and legitamate* shot. not just hemsky.

also yah nedved isnt a guarantee but i can see him next year since he has actually helped the club unlike oates.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:52 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrush
also yah nedved isnt a guarantee but i can see him next year since he has actually helped the club unlike oates.
I think we can sign him if we REALLY want, but I'm not sure he would want to play in Edmonton. However, this wicked playoff drive might leave a good impression on him.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:57 AM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
I think we can sign him if we REALLY want, but I'm not sure he would want to play in Edmonton. However, this wicked playoff drive might leave a good impression on him.
i dont see why he wouldnt want to play in edmonton. He gets top minutes here and is the #1 centre now and wont be replaced next year. Oilers have a chance to make the playoffs unlike New york where he has been for awhile. I dont see any team really interested in him next year except maybe a couple and i say we should hang onto nedved as long as possible unless Lowe is for sure positive he can get a #1 centre not necessiarly* by trading nedved but by trading other assets. Unless that doesnt happen i say we do everything possible to keep him or next year will be in the same boat again.

EDIT- also is he a ufa or rfa next year? also we can pick up his option next year for 5mil right and he woul dhave to play unless he does a Yashin???

Old
03-25-2004, 01:59 AM
Mizral

York will play centre, you just watch.

Izzy will be given up on fairly soon. The guy is a slug.

Hemsky's future on the Oilers lies in being the #1 right winger. Some of you guys are just a little too impatient

Old
03-25-2004, 02:05 AM
Walsher

Ales Hemsky is going to be a main stay for many years. His talent level is unmatched in the organization and he has the potential (as proven) to be a point leader on the team. This is crunch time though and he hasn't played up to par. He will be better with experience and this stretch, even if not playing, will teach him how valuable his spot is. He will learn, grow, and eventually excell/.

Old
03-25-2004, 02:07 AM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
York will play centre, you just watch.

Izzy will be given up on fairly soon. The guy is a slug.

Hemsky's future on the Oilers lies in being the #1 right winger. Some of you guys are just a little too impatient
i can wait this year but next year i dont know if he can get a shot.

Yah i want york to play centre but than i say reasoner or horcoff get traded than unless nedved gets traded because stoll is going no where. I want izzy gone ever since the beginning of the year. I thought he was the ***** last year but now i think hes a bum. We do have to dump a lot of players though imo unless they decide hemsky is farm bound next year. Could he play in the farm or would he have to clear waivers? i have no idea how that works.

Old
03-25-2004, 02:08 AM
diablo

I think hemsky will split next year between the oilers and roadrunners, which i think should help his development.

Old
03-25-2004, 02:13 AM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Ales Hemsky is going to be a main stay for many years. His talent level is unmatched in the organization and he has the potential (as proven) to be a point leader on the team. This is crunch time though and he hasn't played up to par. He will be better with experience and this stretch, even if not playing, will teach him how valuable his spot is. He will learn, grow, and eventually excell/.
agreed i know he has been horrible but i just dont see him learning how to be a star with this team unless mact can live with the constant defense lapses and giveaways and allow hemsky to still play and than coach but mact's goal will always be to make the playoffs and not in a rebuilding mode so i dont see hemsky being the star he is because he wont learn because once he screws up he will be benched or sat out because thats mact's job to get to the playoffs not rebuild. we are in playoff drive year after year and i dont see hemsky learning his mistakes unless he plays on a constant basis learning and improving but he cant because we need every point.

If hemsky was on like Atlanta, columbus, pittsburg or any of the rebuilding teams the coaches would allow hemsky to continue to play and learn and coach on the bench and during practice. Hemsky would have amassed at least 50points by now but those are for rebuilding teams not playoff contenders like the Oilers.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:37 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
LW
Smyth
Torres
Moreau
York (has played center out of neccesity, but he's naturaly a LW)
Chimmera
Isbister (plays other positions out of neccesity, but is naturaly a LW)
Rita

C
Nedved
Oates
Reasoner
Horcoff
Stoll
Bishai

RW
Dvorak
Hemsky
Laraque
Pisani
Salmo

By my count, that's 7LW, 6C, and 5RW.

I would assume that Oates and Nedved will likelty not return next year, Bishai will probably remain in the AHL, and York will probably move back to the middle.

This leaves us with 6LW, 4C, and 5 RW.

Rita and Salmo are currently in the minors, and it's possible that they will stay there next year and seeing mostly spot duty with the Oilers.

This Brings us to 5LW, 4C, and 4RW.

Hemsky has his spot in the lineup, and Chimmer and Izzy split time in the pressbox provided no off season trades or aquisitions are made and Nedved and Oates don't return.

Old
03-25-2004, 02:22 PM
Big T

Hemsky is going to have to work very hard in the off season to keep his postion on the team. No doubt he has major potential for the future, but what kind of message does it send to the rest of the team to allow someone so soft on the puck to eat up quality ice time. If there is an extended lockout, some time in the AHL will do him worlds of good ( I believe he can go there still )

That said, I beleive he will do fine and he is progressing at about the right pace. But by no means is he more valuable to the team than Dvorak as someone suggested.

Isbister has said many times he prefers to play on the right side so the RW problem is not as easily solved as we think. There will be a offseason shuffle. Expect the unexpected. I would be very disappointed to see Lowe give up on Izzy so quickly. Big guys take a long time to develop. By no means is he Bertuzzi, but Bert didn't really hit his stride until his late twenties. Izzy still has time to improve. I think MacT has him sitting right now because he is not a big improvement over what is on the ice, and it gives Lowe more bargaining power in the offseason ( I believe his contract is due )

Hemsky needs to put on 15-20 pounds so he doesn't get pushed off the puck so easily, and some press box time beside Simpson would do him some good. Simmer can talk to him about shooting lanes, and getting himself into open ice, etc...

He also needs to come back with the Paul Kariya mentality that if he does not get 8 shots per game, he has not been effective.

T

Old
03-25-2004, 02:34 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Hemsky will be fine... remember he is only 20, not 25.

Hemsky needs to figure out how he wants to play.

either a Mike Comrie who plays shifty, or a Sakic who burns you with speed and strength.

Right now he has a Mike Comrie body with a Joe Sakic mindset (let's ignore weight and height, I am talking about strength).

He can have a very successful career by being a shifty player... that's making a move, dishing it off and getting open. He can have one by using speed and strength to break away from a check.

But he needs to decide how he wants to do it. Defencemen are forcing him into making 3 or 4 moves and trying to beat 2 or 3 guys... and it doesn't work. Once he figures out how he wants to play, he's going to have to train to get like that.

He's learned a couple of valuable lessons the past two seasons. Last year it was the speed and style of the NHL game. This year it's been how the good players adapt to what other players do.

Old
03-25-2004, 02:43 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
LW
Smyth
Torres
Moreau
York (has played center out of neccesity, but he's naturaly a LW)
Chimera
Isbister (plays other positions out of neccesity, but is naturaly a LW)
Rita

C
Reasoner
Horcoff
Stoll

RW
Dvorak
Hemsky
Laraque
Pisani
Salmo
Patience grasshopper! As misfit pointed out, its unlikely that Oates, Nedved and Bishai will be in the lineup next year. And you incorrectly put York on the RW. He is a natural LW/C. He will not be challenging Hemsky for a spot next year. Likewise Isbister is a LW/RW but is naturally a LW.

Next years lineup, barring any trades it might be:

Smyth - Horcoff - Hemsky/Isbister
Torres/Isbister - York - Dvorak
Moreau - Reasoner - Pisani
Chimera/Rita - Stoll - Laraques

I see Torres and Hemsky who as the young guns won't be able to provide consistency throughout the 82 game schedule. In which case, Isbister will challenge both Torres and Hemsky for time on the top two lines.

Closed Thread