HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What Position Should You Play?

Old
11-02-2007, 07:08 PM
tisting9

vCash: 500
What Position Should You Play?

I would like to know what each qualities in a player are required are good for each postion. I've heard that wings score more than centers, or it is easier for them to score from my coach, is that true?

tisting9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards Escape Goat

vCash: 663
You should play the position you enjoy. Otherwise, what's the point?

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 09:13 PM
XweekendwarriorX

If your wondering what position you should play you gotta figure that out yourself. if your speedy crafty good at catching passing and can shoot play wing. if you have a good sence of hockey and can find open teamates and have good hands and decent defensive skills i would reccomend some center. if you want defesnce you gotta be able to think fast and react quicker, you also gotta see the whole ice and know were players and teamates are and be able to move the puck out there and cant be scared to thorw your body in front of pucks and players.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 02:27 PM
mayoradamwest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisting9 View Post
I would like to know what each qualities in a player are required are good for each postion. I've heard that wings score more than centers, or it is easier for them to score from my coach, is that true?
like is already said, it depends on what you want to do.

DO you like to go in the corners, do you have a good shot, do you like passing more than scoring, do you like stanidng in front of the net getting hacked in the back of the legs? Do you like to hit? Do you like to stay on the edge of the play of at the back? Do you want to be responsible for scoring or for keeping the other team from scoring? Do you want to cover the other team's D, your net/corners or a bit of everywhere defensively?

There's no 1 way to say that a person with 1 set of attributes should play one set positon. Find out where you have the most fun and do that.

For example, a person with good hands and vision might think that they'll score a lot so they should play forward. Those skills are also useful on D though for breaking out of the zone.
or you might think that guys who can hit and physically dominate would be better suited for D, but the same attributes are needed for a person filling in with the power forward role.
It depends on how you want to play; stay at home defenseman? Offensive d-man? Power forward, finesse forward? Finesse D? Passer - break out or center distributing for goals?

mayoradamwest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 02:53 PM
tisting9

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies so far. I probably should hnot thaave been more specific. I am a center currently, and definitely do not want to play goalie. I would consider defense but really I am asking if I should play left wing, right wing, or center.

I play Midget Minor AAA and am a 92 born center. I play lefthanded, have very good hands, a decent shot, very good skating, not a good hitter, good on faceoffs, not that powerful. What should I do?

Old
11-03-2007, 02:56 PM
SSM12

stick to center, if thats where you are having success? If you are a good skater, center is probably better than winger only because centers normally get in deep more and can use that extra push on the back check. Honestly, id say stay with whaat you are familiar with. I play Wing but am interchangable, just not defensivley responsible enough to stay center(says my coach).

SSM12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 09:16 PM
tisting9

Thanks Again!

Thanks for the reply. My coach says that I'd score more at right wing. This is what HE SAYS not I, that all the Euros in the NHL play their off wing and so they score more and can be lazy defensively.

Old
11-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Raoul Duke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisting9 View Post
Thanks for the reply. My coach says that I'd score more at right wing. This is what HE SAYS not I, that all the Euros in the NHL play their off wing and so they score more and can be lazy defensively.
Trust him, at least for now. He sees you play.
One time my coach, in between periods said he was putting me back on defense. I was so ****ing pissed off - first line centre for my team, leading scorer. What did I know about defense?

A hat trick later, and 7 points for the game - we won, and he pulled me aside and said it's not personal, but "You can see the ice better than any of our d-men, I knew your breakout passes would click. And you can slap a puck, but can't unleash it down low (which is how I got all 3 goals that game).."

It wasn't temporary, although I absolutely loved it back there, felt like I had all the ice in the world to move with. Shoot, pass, pinch, whatever I felt like.

The point is the coach called it. If he thinks you'll be more effective on the RW, he has reason for making that call.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote