HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Nashville Predators @ Edmonton Oilers : 11-2-07 : 8pm CDT

Old
11-02-2007, 10:17 PM
braindead

vCash: 500
Arnott!!!!! I should have started posting sooner

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 10:21 PM
braindead

Bonk!!! Sweet little move.

Old
11-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Paincakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Bonk!!! Sweet little move.

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 10:34 PM
Kotton

Congrats Nashville fans, it was an entertaining game. So entertaining in fact that the Edmonton board is now suffering a nuclear meltdown.

Prozac and Vodka here I come!

Kotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Bourdon

Tonight was all Ellis. It was a better and well earned performance tonight, and even more so than last night's game.

I guess I won't be starting any firesales of Pred players in my pool, although I'll still be trying to unload Zidlicky.

Bourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

phenominal road game on the 2nd night of back to backs ... stick around close and the goalie gives you a chance to steal it... and that's exactly what the team does in the 3rd ... phenominal job guys ... phenominal!

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Hinger

Holy crap "Kotton" what avatar is that? Watch all the scary Halloween movies and none compare to that pic. Geez!

Hinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Kotton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinger View Post
Holy crap "Kotton" what avatar is that? Watch all the scary Halloween movies and none compare to that pic. Geez!
Thats actually a picture of me after game 7 a couple years ago.

Edit.... and basically every game in between now and then.

Kotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
Thats actually a picture of me after game 7 a couple years ago.

Edit.... and basically every game in between now and then.
I thought CuJo played goal and was a human being

Old
11-02-2007, 11:19 PM
handtrick

Couple things come to mind right away:

Ellis again with a very good game. His poise has been superb, but the thing that he brings to this team is the ability to minimize the dump and chase game of an opponent. The fact that he can play the puck so well lets the defensemen set up wider from behind the net, giving them time and space to make the open breakout pass instead of always being harrassed and giving up the turnover. Ellis is truly like an extra defenseman out there.....granted not as good as Turco, but he adds a dimension that blends so well with our good puck moving defensemen that we are truly a different team defensively with him in net instead of Mason. He and Mason are similair in the fact that they are both bulldogs in there as well.

There is no coincidence tonight that Mason failed to don the headset for the backup's standard chat with Pete and Terri in the 3rd period. His last couple out there were very forced, and no doubt he is mad as h3ll that he didn't get the start tonight in front of all his family, near his hometown, on the back of a back-to-back. He probably said he didn't want to go on the air tonight, as he knows it would show that he is frustrated right now, and that isn't the best to be displayed in public for the team. Gone are the days of the Vokoun/Mason collegiality. You can tell that at the end of the game congratulations....that Mason gives Ellis the obligatory congrats...but no skating off together....no chatting afterwards, etc.
It is time for Mason to get mad instead of frustrated and earn the position back. In my mind [and I would bet most of the locker room as well] Ellis has become the defacto #1, even if the label is not given to him, for the short term. There is no denying he has earned it, plain and simple. They should ride him until he shows he can't handle it...then Mason can have his chance again.

I like this teams ability to play with a lead versus last years team. Last year, I never felt comfortable with a lead. With this team lately, once we get the lead, we know how to pay shut down defense, while maintaining the forecheck and dumping the puck in deep. Last year we just kept backing up with the lead. That is where our checkers [Bonk, Ortmeyer, Fiddler, Smithson, Fiddler, Nichol, and yes Tootoo] can be defensiviely responsible but yet keep the pressure on. Obviously, scoring the goals initially is the key to that...but if we keep to our game plan, even if we get down a goal or two, we are much likely to get the even strength offensive zone pressure goal like Arnotts goal tonight....or the turnover goal, like Bonks goal.

I think the guys are finally seeing the recipe for success. We were even in the special teams game, but beat them even strength tonight, despite getting out shot badly in the second as we ran out of gas. We won by continuing to play defensively sound and taking advantage of our opportunities by our skilled players.

Bonk is the huge pick up of the year. I love his game. He plays a "heavy game" as Trotz has said, but he can finish and get the dirty goals as well. He is the 3rd line center we have been dreaming about for years, and never had. He should have had another goal as well, but was robbed by Tarnstrom, while just going a mere 71% in the faceoff dot....

Granted these past two wins are against two struggling teams in Vancouver and Edmonton...but they are away, and they are back to back. We will truly be tested against Chicago and Detroit....a much improved team in the Hawks, and probably the best team right now in the league right now in the Wings. If we play two solid games and don't get blown out, I will be happy..... if we come out of those two games with a point or two....I will be ecstatic.

Fiddler....as I predicted before the game.....you just can't hold the guy off the score sheet in Edmonton....

Good job boys....have a well deserved beer or two or ten tonight before you head out to Chicago in the morning....

Last edited by handtrick: 11-03-2007 at 04:09 PM.
handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 11:25 PM
PeterAngelo
Adopt-a-stray today!

thank god November has come around.... I wasn't much enjoying the October preds

PeterAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 11:34 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Tootoo's hit was clean, they just showed it again on NHL networks his feet are on the ice, his arms are down, shoulder to shoulder but extremely hard hit. Roy even tried to brace for it.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 11:38 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Tootoo's hit was clean, they just showed it again on NHL networks his feet are on the ice, his arms are down, shoulder to shoulder but extremely hard hit. Roy even tried to brace for it.
Agreed. That is why nobody went after him....clean as clean can be. Tootoo just hits like a mack truck.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 12:46 AM
Jarnberg

I was unable to watch this game due to travelling.

How was the team's play up until the third?

Did we weather a storm and steal one?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 12:50 AM
predfan24

Something i was thinking about after the game was I don't remember seein Rads out there too much. Sure enough I checked the stats and he had around only 10 minutes of ice time. Around only 2 min for the 2nd and 3rd period. What the heck is going on there. He is one of our few players that has actualy been able to create plays lately. Do you think Trotz thinks he is that much of a defensive liabilty or what???

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 12:56 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Something i was thinking about after the game was I don't remember seein Rads out there too much. Sure enough I checked the stats and he had around only 10 minutes of ice time. Around only 2 min for the 2nd and 3rd period. What the heck is going on there. He is one of our few players that has actualy been able to create plays lately. Do you think Trotz thinks he is that much of a defensive liabilty or what???
Trotzian logic my friend.

Old
11-03-2007, 01:00 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Wow you guys love your hockey down here. This message board is rockin' lol
First of all, this isn't the only hockey discussion board on the internet.

Second, most of the Predators fans on these boards were likely actually watching the game instead of sitting at a keyboard ready to type **** or WTF? or OMG tat waz a hit!

Third, its a freaking Friday night. I'm kind of glad we do not have a ton of posts in this thread...

Old
11-03-2007, 08:34 AM
AdsSabresRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post

There is no coincidence tonight that Mason failed to don the headset for the backup's standard chat with Pete and Terri in the 3rd period. His last couple out there were very forced, and no doubt he is mad as h3ll that he didn't get the start tonight in front of all his family, near his hometown, on the back of a back-to-back. He probably said he didn't want to go on the air tonight, as he knows it would show that he is frustrated right now, and that isn't the best to be displayed in public for the team. Gone are the days of the Vokoun/Mason collegiality. You can tell that at the end of the game congratulations....that Mason gives Ellis the obligatory congrats...but no skating off together....no chatting afterwards, etc.
It is time for Mason to get mad instead of frustrated and earn the position back. In my mind [and I would be most of the locker room as well] Ellis has become the defacto #1, even if the label is not given to him, for the short term. There is no denying he has earned it, plain and simple. They should ride him until he shows he can't handle it...then Mason can have his chance again.
Well, Mason is gonna be in a funk for awhile, cause' when Ellis is hot, he's hot. The only thing with him is that he has been starting behind Marty when he was on the farm in Iowa, and it had to be seen if he could handle the NHL. He is total ice out there and I was amazed at how he just makes really stone cold saves on guys. He went like 6 - 1 against the Ads I think last year...He's good. But, if he starts to crack, I guess you have to see how he handles that pressure...

AdsSabresRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 09:58 AM
xEx

Ellis made an interesting comment during a post game interview on the Canadian broadcast.

He mentioned that with the loss of the other teams d-man over the past two games, that they were able to up the pressure and try to grind the remaining d-men down.

I didn't get to watch the Vancouver game and I don't know when Bieksa and Salo went down. But against the Oilers it helped, Smid was just watching the play and was late to react on Arnott's goal and then Bonk's came off somewhat of a mental breakdown by the d-man. Both happening in the third period.

Although it is true that Tootoo usually hits just to hit and not so much to gain possession of the puck and provide an immediate benefit. I think his hit last night helped the team in the long run in getting the win.

I hope Mason sees this as a challenge and steps up to get ready for his next start. Because it will come and if he isn't ready, he'll just force Trotz's hand to keep Ellis in there. I can't believe Mason would handle this situation poorly given his character he's shown in the past.

xEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I was unable to watch this game due to travelling.

How was the team's play up until the third?

Did we weather a storm and steal one?
it seemed to me when we scored the first goal of the game ... that it ignited the oilers team and they were starting to wear us down ... but ellis saved our bacon enough to really stop there momentum from being a tidal wave

Old
11-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Handtrick, I couldn't agree more on Ellis. I am in complete agreement with what his puck-handling does for our defensemen.

11-03-2007, 05:14 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
All hail Ellis, ride him until he falters!

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 08:55 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Did you guys see at the end of a period where Rads lost track of the remaining time and with about 6 seconds left kind of slid the puck toward the faceoff circle in our zone, which led to a quality scoring chance? Can't remember which period. I nearly had a stroke. Then they showed Trotz on the bench. His eyebrows had frozen mid-twitch and you could see the vein bulging where his neck is supposed to be. There was no doubt Rads was going to be reamed. He should lose ice time for a move that stupid.

Old
11-03-2007, 09:18 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Did you guys see at the end of a period where Rads lost track of the remaining time and with about 6 seconds left kind of slid the puck toward the faceoff circle in our zone, which led to a quality scoring chance? Can't remember which period. I nearly had a stroke. Then they showed Trotz on the bench. His eyebrows had frozen mid-twitch and you could see the vein bulging where his neck is supposed to be. There was no doubt Rads was going to be reamed. He should lose ice time for a move that stupid.

Your right I had forgotton about that. However is that really a message to send to our young franchise winger. You make one mistake be prepared to be getting tootoo minutes. If Smitty or Fids do that I gurantee Trotz doesn't punish them with less ice time. It just seems Trotz has a double standard sometime. Trotz is gonna kill Radu's confidence which is the last thing we need.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 12:05 AM
hoppy
EK65

Send a message via MSN to hoppy
Does Ellis get the start tomorrow?

hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote