HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2007, 04:20 PM
dank

vCash: 500
2008 Draft Thread

too early?

either way, here is a draft (from Dobbers)that has us at #4 and picking

Quote:
4. New York Rangers- Joe Colborne, C

Height/Weight: 6'4, 195
Team: Camrose Kodiaks, AJHL
YTD Stats: 18 GP, 15-21-36, 11 PIM, +23

A long time ago, in a land far away, a 17 year-old phenom playing in a provincial Junior A league began putting up mad points. But, alas, he still came in towards the bottom of the first round- if at all- on many early rankings. Nine months later, that same player was a top five draft choice. With that little story in mind, remember the name Joe Colborne . Playing out of the Alberta Junior Hockey League in order to preserve his NCAA eligibility, the 6'4 forward popped home 20 goals and 48 points in 2006/07 as a 16 year-old rook. One year later, and Colborne may very well hit that total before Christmas. The AJHL's points leader with a mind-boggling 36 points in 18 games, Colborne's strength is his extraordinary touch around the net. The Rangers, for there part, have largely avoided forwards in the first round despite an aging offensive core. That needs to change, and Colborne is the right man for the job. Unlike their previous attempt at acquiring a big pivot who can dominate in the slot, however, they won't need to trade Brad Park and Jean Ratelle for him.

Potential: #1 Power Center, 40-45-85
Comparison: Phil Esposito
http://www.dobberhockey.com/content/view/644/1/

it may be too early, in terms of location of picks/and teams picking where, however i think it is a good way to track the players and potential etc.. how they progress and how our team does as well..

Old
11-03-2007, 04:27 PM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
too early?
to me, yessum.

Old
11-03-2007, 05:39 PM
DarthSather99

For me it's never to early. I like to see progress of draft prospects and this is a prospect board.

I would love the rangers to get

<-------this guy

here's another mock

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft

Last edited by DarthSather99: 11-03-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old
11-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Jay88*

I never follow drafts and just wait for all the brains on here to feed info, then from then on I pay attention. I just have a feeling NYR will be picking anywhere from 22-26 in this years draft, and they dont need a center, but maybe another D man would be nice, maybe move Montoya for a solid top 6 foward or t2nd pairing d man and then grab a goalie or right winger.

Old
11-03-2007, 05:57 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay88 View Post
I never follow drafts and just wait for all the brains on here to feed info, then from then on I pay attention. I just have a feeling NYR will be picking anywhere from 22-26 in this years draft, and they dont need a center, but maybe another D man would be nice, maybe move Montoya for a solid top 6 foward or t2nd pairing d man and then grab a goalie or right winger.
I think they can use a big winger either LW or RW, in the power forward mold. we have alot of big wingers but they are in the grinder mold.

Old
11-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Jay88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
I think they can use a big winger either LW or RW, in the power forward mold. we have alot of big wingers but they are in the grinder mold.
yes well i would say more of RW'er, as NYR has Prucha and dawes in the system and both look to be a reular in the lineups; and Chery as RW top foward,so i wold say a power foward definitly, but ill stick with a RW'er, a center is not need, and not really a dman, I guess.

Old
11-03-2007, 06:19 PM
hlundqvist30*

Just take the best player available.

Old
11-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Jay88*

Quote:
Just take the best player available.
Yes, well thats is obvious. But why not fill a need if necessary. If they have a winger available then its a good idea to take him.

I underatand the point, but if there are positions that need filling they need to be addressed.

Old
11-03-2007, 07:32 PM
KRM

I would love to see super dane Mikkel Bödker in a Rangers uniform (well he's already in one but you know what I mean...). He played for Frölunda last season and he was a real treat to watch.

Old
11-03-2007, 08:34 PM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
I would love to see super dane Mikkel Bödker in a Rangers uniform (well he's already in one but you know what I mean...). He played for Frölunda last season and he was a real treat to watch.
haha, good point.. and yeah, i have heard very good things about him so far..

where do you think he'll be picked? seems like many have said around the mid-teens or so

Old
11-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Sunshine

We'll be selecting 30th.

Old
11-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
We'll be selecting 30th.
Nice.

You know, I like this thread idea because I honestly know nothing about the next crop... I dunno how and where you guys get info on these guys.. i rely on this forum for it myself...

Old
11-03-2007, 10:07 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Yes, well thats is obvious. But why not fill a need if necessary. If they have a winger available then its a good idea to take him.

I underatand the point, but if there are positions that need filling they need to be addressed.
And that is why there are 7 rounds. If there are 2 players that are completely equal, but one is a player that you need more, then by all means take him. However if there is any idea as to whom is better, then you take the better choice. You have (around) 6 other picks to get what you need. Imagine passing up a #1 defenseman for a 3rd line winger because at the time you needed the winger more. Look at the situation we're in right now. Yea, we don't need Montoya, but think about how valuable he is to the team in terms of what he could net us. You always take the best player available, and then fill needs with the rest of the picks.

Old
11-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Personally I don't think the Rangers will be drafting in the first round at all. Just a weird gut feeling that Sather is going to pull off a deal involving the Rangers 1st overall in 08.

Supposedly this years draft class is pretty deep. I haven't read up on them in a while, but I remember that being the buzz around last year.

Old
11-05-2007, 10:52 AM
DontStepanMe

We need to draft a big power forward... a player in the Bertuzzi or Heatly mold.

Old
11-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
We need to draft a big power forward... a player in the Bertuzzi or Heatly mold.
Nah, why would we do that, no team covets those kind of players

Best player available is the way to go

Old
11-05-2007, 12:56 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
too early?

either way, here is a draft (from Dobbers)that has us at #4 and picking

http://www.dobberhockey.com/content/view/644/1/

it may be too early, in terms of location of picks/and teams picking where, however i think it is a good way to track the players and potential etc.. how they progress and how our team does as well..
It's never too early...and I'd really love to land Colbourne but I have a feeling he'll be gone a long time before we get to the podium.

Old
11-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

My early crushes are Voynov and Tessier.

Old
11-05-2007, 02:36 PM
incident

Quote:

If there's a position that needs filling or an area that needs to be addressed, then the draft isn't the right place to do it. Fill the urgent needs through trades and UFAs, and use the draft to try and get the absolute best prospects possible.

The trouble is that very very few players are "NHL ready" straight away. If the Rangers do need a RW next summer, it's highly unlikely they'll be able to draft one instantly ready to play NHL.

Even looking further ahead, it's not realistic to say "a RW is needed for 2010" and then draft on that basis, because the roster is likely to change several times between now and then.

Sure, if there's a player ready to step right into a particular role, he should be taken - but that doesn't happen often, especially not after the first few picks.

Old
11-05-2007, 11:52 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

To add to my earlier post, if a guy like Colborne is gone I'd love to see the Rangers nab Jimmy Hayes (who very well could be there depending on how we finish) or Colin Wilson (who probably won't make it past 15) if they fall to us. High upside players who we can let brew in the NCAA for a few years before seeing what we've got. I also wouldn't be opposed to grabbing a big hitter on the blueline.

I really hope we keep our 1st round pick, as this draft class looks (thus far) like a good one. That said, it wouldn't shock me if we didn't pick 'til round 2 if the team continues to play well and makes a move at the deadline.

Old
11-06-2007, 01:01 AM
NYR Viper

IMO, i hope the rangers make a move to trade away some players and prospects....not of the highest level...more wuantity for some picks....maybe 2nd rounders or possibly a first..they have tooo many players and not enough room....time to trade

Old
11-06-2007, 01:39 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
I agree with you.

Natrually, you pick the BPA. But, when making that list, we should focus on that type of player. If a small, dippsy doddler, that we got 2nd overall on our list is available at 25th overall, you take him.

But we have built this team from defense and out the last couple of years, no doubt about it. We started in goal, and then adressed defense. We also focused on energy players that are great fits in our system with later picks. So we are really set in goal, on defense, and on complimentary players. With complimentary players I mean guys who aren't go-to players on their line, like a Dawes, Prucha, Callahan, Pyatt, Korpikoski among others. Like, you don't build a 2nd/3rd line around a Prucha and Callahan, but they are good at making such a line work. They cover allot of ice, are verstaile and always work hard.

What we need the most is prospects with "Franchise" potential, but if thoose aren't out there when you pick, you can't "create" them. A powerforward is just as likely to develop into a franchise player, as a extremely skilled, but otherwise flawed player.

On our depth chart we look pretty good at LW (Prucha, Dawes, Korpikoski, Byers, Pyatt), at center (Drury, Gomez, Anisimov and Dubinsky), at defense and in goal. At RW we got Cherepanov and Bourret for a finesse role more or less, and Callahan, Jessiman and Moore for the depth lines. But, I think none of them really fit the protocol for how a RW should look in our system. We lack that. What really could use is a Shan Doan type of RW. Someone with alittle bit more size then Callahan. Someone who is a bit more of a PF, and with mroe intensity then Moore.

I don't really know any of the players in this years draft. But if the core info involves "6'2", "RW" and the "WHL"; I am interested!

Old
11-06-2007, 02:05 AM
Law & Order

Are you talking about Kyle Beach? That would be a dream of mine if he ended up in a Rangers jersey. I think he will be long gone by the time we pick but you never know what kind of deals we could pull off. I am going to go and start praying now..........

Old
11-06-2007, 07:15 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Personally I don't think the Rangers will be drafting in the first round at all. Just a weird gut feeling that Sather is going to pull off a deal involving the Rangers 1st overall in 08.

Supposedly this years draft class is pretty deep. I haven't read up on them in a while, but I remember that being the buzz around last year.
I've been calling it for a couple weeks now. Montoya + 1st rounder + maybe a prospect for a vet d-man at the trade deadline.

Old
11-06-2007, 07:27 AM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
What we need the most is prospects with "Franchise" potential, but if thoose aren't out there when you pick, you can't "create" them. A powerforward is just as likely to develop into a franchise player, as a extremely skilled, but otherwise flawed player.

....We lack that. What really could use is a Shan Doan type of RW. Someone with alittle bit more size then Callahan. Someone who is a bit more of a PF, and with mroe intensity then Moore.

I don't really know any of the players in this years draft. But if the core info involves "6'2", "RW" and the "WHL"; I am interested!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law & Order View Post
Are you talking about Kyle Beach? That would be a dream of mine if he ended up in a Rangers jersey. I think he will be long gone by the time we pick but you never know what kind of deals we could pull off. I am going to go and start praying now..........
yeah, i have heard many good to great things about him. anyone care to elaborate? maybe he could be our first prospect/draftee profile?

Closed Thread