HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sullivan out 3 months

Old
10-03-2007, 11:10 PM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Right.

He was placed on the non-roster list. Meaning he didn't pass his physical.

I think it's similar to the NFL's PUP list.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 05:52 PM
lstcyr

Preds say Sullivan's back improving
http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...0/-1/NLETTER05

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 12:17 AM
AVE MAN

Any Recent Sullivan News?

Is he still aiming to be skating around December?

AVE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 05:13 PM
thrillhous

Last news that I saw said that the test results were good but he hadn't started skating because of back spasms:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....710200362/1028

Anything since then, Preds fans?

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 06:13 PM
vopatsrash

Any Steve Sullivan news that doesn't include the word retirement will be gravy as far as I'm concerned. I've stopped considering him as a viable option for this franchise.

Now that I said that, watch the article come out tomorrow that he'll be in the lineup against Detroit.

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
Last news that I saw said that the test results were good but he hadn't started skating because of back spasms:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....710200362/1028

Anything since then, Preds fans?
I don't think there's been any more news. He hasn't started skating yet as far as I know. This is bad news and makes this december return unrealistic. We should be due for some news soon though.

IMO he's not coming back. At least not this regular season. The guy has been day to day since Feb and still has back spasms -even after surgeries and rehab.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 12:40 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
I don't think there's been any more news. He hasn't started skating yet as far as I know. This is bad news and makes this december return unrealistic. We should be due for some news soon though.

IMO he's not coming back. At least not this regular season. The guy has been day to day since Feb and still has back spasms -even after surgeries and rehab.
Always loved Sully's play from his time w/ the Hawks. Unfortunately, it sure looks like his career is likely in jeapordy - anyone hear anything different?

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Always loved Sully's play from his time w/ the Hawks. Unfortunately, it sure looks like his career is likely in jeapordy - anyone hear anything different?
I believe either Pete Weber or Terry Crisp were on the radio a few weeks ago. According to that interview, it isn't going well and Sullivan still isn't able to workout and is trying "new methods".

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 05:19 PM
fogducker

any news?

january?

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 05:28 PM
vopatsrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
any news?

january?
All signs point to this

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 05:31 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Its a shame for Sullivan, and its a shame that the Predators are able to get below the salary cap by nearly 4 million by not long term IRing Sullivan.....especially given the fact that we are paying nearly 4 million to Zidlicky to be our 2nd best offensive defenseman and probably 7-8th best defensive defesneman.

11-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Sweet

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....711220384/1028

Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 12:45 PM
thrillhous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
Still nothing solid but it seems like he's getting healthier. Good to hear.

Old
12-13-2007, 12:52 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
i hope sully gets back soon!!!

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 02:07 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post
i hope sully gets back soon!!!
tell me about it. not only does he take up our very limited cap space, but we can't really make any moves until we know whether or not he'll be back

Old
12-13-2007, 03:15 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
tell me about it. not only does he take up our very limited cap space, but we can't really make any moves until we know whether or not he'll be back
Sully doesn't count against our cap as he is suspended for not passing a physical at the start of the season. A player cannot be rostered or even put on IR until they pass a physical at the start of the season, until then, they are considered suspended.

Anyone else notice that Sully's face was oftly round when he handed out those awards on Saturday? I know the camera is supposed to add 10 lbs, but personally it looked like a lot more than that.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 03:32 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Sully doesn't count against our cap as he is suspended for not passing a physical at the start of the season. A player cannot be rostered or even put on IR until they pass a physical at the start of the season, until then, they are considered suspended.

Anyone else notice that Sully's face was oftly round when he handed out those awards on Saturday? I know the camera is supposed to add 10 lbs, but personally it looked like a lot more than that.
ah thanks, makes sense, never put the two together. so how is he making a living right now?

Old
12-13-2007, 03:54 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
ah thanks, makes sense, never put the two together. so how is he making a living right now?
Don't know. Maybe insurance, maybe off savings, maybe he's getting appearance fees for his public appearances and award presentations he is doing for the team. I doubt he is struggling to pay his bills right now, but I won't say he is happy about his current financial situation either.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 07:47 AM
Pred303

uh guys.. sullivan is under contract... his salary isn't listed against the salary cap, not because he was 'suspended' for failing a preseason physical, but because he's been placed on longterm injured reserve (more than 90 days)... but he's still drawing his $3.2 million per year and will next year as well, because he's under contract

so he's probably getting by fairly well on his $285,000(-withholdings) check each month.

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 09:45 AM
xEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
uh guys.. sullivan is under contract... his salary isn't listed against the salary cap, not because he was 'suspended' for failing a preseason physical, but because he's been placed on longterm injured reserve (more than 90 days)... but he's still drawing his $3.2 million per year and will next year as well, because he's under contract

so he's probably getting by fairly well on his $285,000(-withholdings) check each month.
This sounds correct.
He was injured last year playing hockey. The only way he would get suspended was if he hurt himself snowboarding or something like that and was in breach of his contract.

And if the Preds have put him on long term injury reserve (LTIR) then the Preds could go over the cap equal to what Sulivan is getting while on LTIR.

So the only cap implication is if the Preds were spending to the max and Sullivan was ready to come back. The Preds would then need to get rid of someone to get back under the cap, see NJ Devils of last year.

What I'm not sure about is possible insurance coverage, do teams have insurance coverage on players? And if so how does that affect a team near the cap floor? If insurance kicks in and the Preds are not paying Sullivan, does that mean he comes off the cap in terms of meeting the cap floor? Or have the Preds decided to pay Sullivan and not involve insurance so he will count against the cap, thus they don't need to pick up more contracts.

xEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Pred303

Quote:
Originally Posted by xEx View Post
This sounds correct.
He was injured last year playing hockey. The only way he would get suspended was if he hurt himself snowboarding or something like that and was in breach of his contract.

And if the Preds have put him on long term injury reserve (LTIR) then the Preds could go over the cap equal to what Sulivan is getting while on LTIR.

So the only cap implication is if the Preds were spending to the max and Sullivan was ready to come back. The Preds would then need to get rid of someone to get back under the cap, see NJ Devils of last year.

What I'm not sure about is possible insurance coverage, do teams have insurance coverage on players? And if so how does that affect a team near the cap floor? If insurance kicks in and the Preds are not paying Sullivan, does that mean he comes off the cap in terms of meeting the cap floor? Or have the Preds decided to pay Sullivan and not involve insurance so he will count against the cap, thus they don't need to pick up more contracts.
typically xEX, most teams take out partial insurance to cover a portion of salaries in case there is a long term injury.. but also typically a team only takes out these premiums on higher paid players under multiyear contracts, (because the premiums tend to run very high).. i know the preds have a policy out on sully, just don't know what percentage of his salary they get back

these type of insurance policies and payments of course don't come into play at all when figuring salary cap numbers.. they're simply listed as miscellaneous revenue on the preds balance sheet.

a team right at the minimum salary number, still counts sully's full contract toward the required minimum number, even if they claim and collect insurance.. any insurance never figures into salary expenses at all as counted toward the cap or the minimum

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 10:26 AM
thrillhous

I haven't heard anything recently, has anyone else?

Old
12-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
I haven't heard anything recently, has anyone else?
Nope.

I think the lack of attention to him returning speaks volumes. I think we all know he is done.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 04:46 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Nope.

I think the lack of attention to him returning speaks volumes. I think we all know he is done.
I completely put him out of my mind back in october. If he ever plays another nhl game, it will be a bonus.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 01:10 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
On the pregame show last Saturday (12-15 @ Colorado) Willy and John Glennon were saying that Sullivan had been cleared to start working out.

I had never heard anything about that, apparently no one else here has either, but they were just talking like it was common knowledge.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote