HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

GDT: Dallas at Edmonton, March 24

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2004, 12:37 AM
The Rage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
That one was tough - but you can't question the heart and effort. Cross and Staios an aweful night, but hey a point is a point. I am trying really hard to find a positive after leaving Rexall earlier - but hey, there is still a chance. These are the ones that got away, and usually come back to haunt. Gotta get back on the saddle and ride this baby home. No time for feeling sorry for themselves. Come out even hungrier.
Semenov needs to come in for Staios. I mean really, Semenov needs to come in for Staios.

Old
03-25-2004, 12:40 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
Very poor effort by Oates on the tying goal.
I have no idea what was going through his head when the happened he didn't even move, barely challenged him with his stick at all. MacT should bench him for a game on principle alone, I am disappointed as always when we cough up a victory we were oh so close to winning to the :mad: Stars :mad: but if we get just 1 point in their building I will be more then satisfied considering all our troubles with the Stars over the years, if you can get 2 out of 4 points out of them that's all you can really ask for.

A win versus L.A. on Friday should be all we need to knock them out for good.

I Have yet to say this but,(here it goes)

I Believe!!!

Old
03-25-2004, 09:47 AM
Yanner39

My take:

The Oilers could have been up 6-0 if some of their players (Smyth, Torres, Dvorak, etc) could have finished and scored on a number of chances. Hard to ***** on these players because they brought it all year. But that's a fact.

No excuse for this. Dallas, a veteran team, knows how to win and Edm is just learning how to win.

Old
03-25-2004, 04:09 PM
Matts

Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
I'm feeling kind of "glass half full" right now. Tonight's OT point could wind up being huge.

When Matts did his breakdown, he listed the Oilers' 3 hardest games as the San Jose and the 2 against Dallas. With 2 of the three out of the way, the Oilers have 3 of 4 possible points in them. Of the Oilers' 5 remaining, 3 should be winnable (LA, Phoenix, Vancouver) so the game against the Blues could make the difference.

The ball is in the Preds' and Blues' court right now... not much we can do except hope Anaheim and Chicago really get into the "spoiler" role.
the way I broke it down prior to Sun night's game in SJ was the Oilers had to run the table at home, had to win in reg in Stl and then had to get a win and 3 points out of the three road tilts in SJ-Dal-Van.

So in that case we aren't gonna run the table at home now but we did pick up a big win in SJ and now that game in Dal looks to be a possible point with Tugnutt in for Turco.

If the Oilers win their two on the weekend and then win in reg in Stl, I can't see how they won't get in.

Old
03-25-2004, 04:17 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
the way I broke it down prior to Sun night's game in SJ was the Oilers had to run the table at home, had to win in reg in Stl and then had to get a win and 3 points out of the three road tilts in SJ-Dal-Van.

So in that case we aren't gonna run the table at home now but we did pick up a big win in SJ and now that game in Dal looks to be a possible point with Tugnutt in for Turco.

If the Oilers win their two on the weekend and then win in reg in Stl, I can't see how they won't get in.
The way I see it, 7 points will get the Oilers in, and 6 might give get them in. I think we have two stages left in the season. The next games are "should win" secnarios. The last three are against much tougher teams. Win the next two, and all they need is 3 points in the last three games (very doable). However, if they only get 2 points (or less) in the next two games, we will be fighting a near impossible battle. Getting 3 points in the next two will mean we have to get 4 in our last three, a tough task, but definately possible.

Old
03-25-2004, 04:22 PM
Matts

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
The way I see it, 7 points will get the Oilers in, and 6 might give get them in. I think we have two stages left in the season. The next games are "should win" secnarios. The last three are against much tougher teams. Win the next two, and all they need is 3 points in the last three games (very doable). However, if they only get 2 points (or less) in the next two games, we will be fighting a near impossible battle. Getting 3 points in the next two will mean we have to get 4 in our last three, a tough task, but definately possible.
If the Oilers can't beat the Kings and Yotes in the next three days then I won't really feel sorry for them. Those should be gimmies.

But do you think the Oilers could get off with losing in reg to Stl and still expect to make the playoffs?

I guess so if say Stl loses their next three games but I doubt that will happen.

I say win the next three games and it should be fine BUT there is taht Nsh/Stl game on Sat which could be a three pointer where both teams make up ground.

And right now it looks like the Oilers will lose the wins tiebreaker to both Nsh and Stl

Old
03-25-2004, 04:27 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
If the Oilers can't beat the Kings and Yotes in the next three days then I won't really feel sorry for them. Those should be gimmies.

But do you think the Oilers could get off with losing in reg to Stl and still expect to make the playoffs?
If the Preds keep up their craptastic play, then I see why not. However, I'm confident we'll beat St.Louis. It'll be their 4th game in six days, and with their lack of depth I think their best players will be dog tired at that time (especially Pronger).

Old
03-25-2004, 07:43 PM
Colorado_Starsfan

I guess the Stars STILL own the Oilers. Kinda getting funny. That said, with Turco out the next game will be your best opportunity for a while.

Still, we played a patchwork defense and pulled it out anyway.

Last edited by Colorado_Starsfan: 03-25-2004 at 07:47 PM.
Old
03-25-2004, 08:23 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Starsfan
I guess the Stars STILL own the Oilers. Kinda getting funny. That said, with Turco out the next game will be your best opportunity for a while.

Still, we played a patchwork defense and pulled it out anyway.
Why shouldn't the Stars own the Oilers? What is funny is that Edmonton still can compete with underachievers like Dallas. Guerin, Modano, Turgeon, Turco, Zubov (when healthy), Arnott (when healthy), Lehtinen (when healthy). What is really comical is that the Oilers with a fraction of the payroll can bring fans to their feet in any NHL building while fans dread the Stars coming to town due to boredom.

Old
03-25-2004, 09:02 PM
Colorado_Starsfan

We didn't have HALF of the normal defense, and played several very young and inexperienced guys on that side of the puck. In addition, the Oilers play their best hockey on home ice, yet it STILL wasn't good enough to win.

You did manage a point though.

Old
03-25-2004, 09:09 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
We didn't have HALF of the normal defense, and played several very young and inexperienced guys on that side of the puck. In addition, the Oilers play their best hockey on home ice, yet it STILL wasn't good enough to win.

Congratulations on tying up the regular season series, go smoke one of your daddy's cigars.

Old
03-25-2004, 09:12 PM
Walsher

Quote:

We didn't have our best player, our top defensive centerman, our only powerforward, and yet the best the Stars could do was win in OT with Modano, Guerin, Turgeon, Turco, Bure, Morrow, etc. Good win - you beat a team with a fraction the payroll. Have you ever even played hockey? Being from Colorado I assume you can't even skate.

Closed Thread