HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PJ Axelson's hit on Volchenkov

Old
11-04-2007, 12:31 AM
Flyguy_1ca

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Flyguy_1ca
PJ Axelson's hit on Volchenkov

Anyone see his hit from behind on Volchenkov? I thought it was a worse hit than Jones, but luckily Volchenkov was just far enough from the boards he didn't get hurt. Don't tell Bruin fans though.

Flyguy_1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 05:15 AM
hockeyscribe22
HFB Partner

It was a bad hit.

Jones wasn't that bad. Just a lapse in judgement on him as well as Axelsson's!

hockeyscribe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 06:54 AM
runkle

I noticed there is almost zero mention of it over on the Bruins board, go figure.

runkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Death of a Martian

Quote:
Originally Posted by runkle View Post
I noticed there is almost zero mention of it over on the Bruins board, go figure.
I'd go spam the hell out of their borad about this matter, but I like to take the high ground.

Death of a Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 09:25 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

If it isn't up on youtube already, it isn't that bad.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 10:48 AM
MountainHawk

We should just have a thread dedicated to Bruins cheapshots this season. Widemen jumped a Sen from behind as a third man in at the end of the game too.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 11:13 AM
flyboys15

yeah I'm looking forward to round two between those guys tonight, the game last night was entertaining because Timmy literally gives tha bears a chance to compete every night.

flyboys15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 11:14 AM
flyboys15

yeah I'm looking forward to round two between those guys tonight, the game last night was entertaining because Timmy literally gives tha bears a chance to compete every night.

Old
11-04-2007, 11:15 AM
flyboys15

Old
11-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Lupul*

Lupul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Tim*

Send a message via AIM to Tim*

Tim* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Flyguy_1ca

Old
11-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Lol

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Flyguy_1ca

Here's from a bruin blogger on the hit:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=10808

Apparently P.J. Axelsson has learnt nothing from what happened to Patrice Bergeron. As Volchenkov was battling for the puck in the corner during the second period, he was hit square on the numbers by P.J. Axelsson. Axelsson was only assessed a two-minute minor penalty but it should’ve been more. He should’ve been out of the game. Volchenkov did not appear to purposely turn into the hit, he was actually hit into the hit, believe it or not. There was nothing Volchenkov could do to avoid it and P.J. did not slow down as he pasted Anton. Volchenkov is lucky he was not closer to the boards or that could’ve been ugly. Something really has to be done about hits from behind. P.J. is normally a stand-out guy with good hockey sense but he should be ashamed of that hit. If I was Chiarelli and I was engrossed in a battle in the media about hits from behind, I would probably bring this up with P.J. at some point.

Old
11-04-2007, 12:39 PM
flyboys15

my computer was being a piece of crap, thanks for making that funny

Old
11-04-2007, 12:40 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death of a Martian View Post
I'd go spam the hell out of their borad about this matter, but I like to take the high ground.
Besides, if you're gonna troll over there, just go onto one of the numerous threads about Jones and say "na na na na na naaaa........Jones only got to ga-ames." That'd be really trolling

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 12:52 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy_1ca View Post
Here's from a bruin blogger on the hit:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=10808

Apparently P.J. Axelsson has learnt nothing from what happened to Patrice Bergeron. As Volchenkov was battling for the puck in the corner during the second period, he was hit square on the numbers by P.J. Axelsson. Axelsson was only assessed a two-minute minor penalty but it should’ve been more. He should’ve been out of the game. Volchenkov did not appear to purposely turn into the hit, he was actually hit into the hit, believe it or not. There was nothing Volchenkov could do to avoid it and P.J. did not slow down as he pasted Anton. Volchenkov is lucky he was not closer to the boards or that could’ve been ugly. Something really has to be done about hits from behind. P.J. is normally a stand-out guy with good hockey sense but he should be ashamed of that hit. If I was Chiarelli and I was engrossed in a battle in the media about hits from behind, I would probably bring this up with P.J. at some point.
Much like Randy, except Bruins fans wanted to lynch Jones up for the hit. Volchenkov has had this happen before from Bruins, I'm sure you've all seen the Bergeron hit on him a while back.

Old
11-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Steve L*

Exactly the same hit, it will keep on happening until they start suspending on the hits and not the result of the hits.

Hits from behind happen in every period in every game, they are only ever called when the player puts himself into a bad position like Bergeron or Cole.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboys15 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicto10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy_1ca View Post
Haha, I kept scrolling and scrolling...wondering how long that was going to go on for.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Ri hards

is there anywhere we can see the hit? Both the TSN and NHL highlight reels convienently leave the hit out.

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Sens Rule

I was on the Bruins GDT thread for last nights game while I watched it. I think some were complaining that Axelsson even got a penalty on the play. The Bruins coach was freaking out after Axelsson got the penalty.

Jones hit sucked.... it was bad from any perspective..... but the results were just unlucky. These hits are not that uncommon and Axelsson's was at least as bad as Jones - but Volchenkov did not get hit.

And I don't buy that it was Bergeron's fault at all..... but he could have possibly not been in that position. Volchenkov could not possibly have not been in the prone position he was in. He was hit into that position.... no way he was turning his back just to get a penalty call.

Anyway these things happen. I just am a little peeved the Bruins would be arguing the Axelsson 2 minute call. He was lucky not to get 5 and a game.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 08:49 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup 2008 Sens Rule View Post
I was on the Bruins GDT thread for last nights game while I watched it. I think some were complaining that Axelsson even got a penalty on the play. The Bruins coach was freaking out after Axelsson got the penalty.

Jones hit sucked.... it was bad from any perspective..... but the results were just unlucky. These hits are not that uncommon and Axelsson's was at least as bad as Jones - but Volchenkov did not get hit.

And I don't buy that it was Bergeron's fault at all..... but he could have possibly not been in that position. Volchenkov could not possibly have not been in the prone position he was in. He was hit into that position.... no way he was turning his back just to get a penalty call.

Anyway these things happen. I just am a little peeved the Bruins would be arguing the Axelsson 2 minute call. He was lucky not to get 5 and a game.
Understandable. Granted I feel both Jones and Bergeron are equal to blame for the hit, contrary to your opinion, I'm glad to see that you can come on to here and defend your position on both hits in a legitimate, organized, and respectful manner. A lot of Boston fans came on starting to talk smack and that automatically puts us in the defensive position automatically. Also, some comments on your board such as a bunch I saw saying "Fire the Flyers management for the hit" was so bizarre it put us on defense again.

If it was as bad as you say, yes, a 2 minute penalty is really lucky when you compare it to the Bergeron hit.

I hope both sides of this can put this aside and move on.

Old
11-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnightRU View Post
Understandable. Granted I feel both Jones and Bergeron are equal to blame for the hit, contrary to your opinion, I'm glad to see that you can come on to here and defend your position on both hits in a legitimate, organized, and respectful manner. A lot of Boston fans came on starting to talk smack and that automatically puts us in the defensive position automatically. Also, some comments on your board such as a bunch I saw saying "Fire the Flyers management for the hit" was so bizarre it put us on defense again.

If it was as bad as you say, yes, a 2 minute penalty is really lucky when you compare it to the Bergeron hit.

I hope both sides of this can put this aside and move on.
Don't get me wrong..... Downie's hit was sick and a delibrate attempt to deliver an injury. But Jones was overzealous... he should not have made the hit he did. But he is not a cheap player... that isn't his gig and neither is it Axelson's. I am so sad Bergeron is so badly hurt. I worry he may never be alright again... not to play hockey but just not to have a mashed up brain for everyday life.

I recently saw a game where Ottawa played Florida. Foligno was laid out on a hit very similar to the hit on Bergeron. It was less blatant than Jones as the player hit Foligno far less hard but Foligno just happened to be the three feet or so from the boards that leads to horrible things. He went head first into the boards laid on the ice but got up on his own and was out for the rest of the game. Then a few minutes later Volchenkov was in the corner with a Panthers rookie (forget his name) and he hit the guy (the guy knew he was there) to finish a play but unfortunately his head went into the boards badly. He was on the ice for 2 minutes and then another 2-3 minutes to strap him on a board to take him to hospital - in the end he was fine though thankfully. Volchenkov got a 5 minute and a game (no suspension) but he was less guilty than the guy who took Foligno into the borads or Jones or Axelson. He should not have even got a penalty. And I am not just saying that as a sens fan.

It is so hard to properly deal with these incidents. The ones that cause injuries are seen as horrid while the maybe 50 times a season or maybe 100 times a season a similar play of hitting a guy from behind when he is 2 or 3 feet from the boards is overlooked.

Basically it needs to be drummed into every players heads that you don't turn your back if you are a couple of feet from the boards if you can prevent it and that a player should never take advantage of said players proneness. If you are right against the boards it is so different from being 2 or 3 feet out.

Jones hit was bad but so are many, many hits. And Bergeron while not being guilty for getting hit was leaving himself prone to being badly hurt and SOME players.... and I am not at all saying Bergeron was doing this.... intentionally put themselves in Bergeron's position to draw a hit almost exactly like Jones to draw a 2 minute boarding penalty. Everyone needs to be smarter here. Anyone could get hurt on a similar play and everyone in a moment they will regret could hurt a guy bad like Bergeron was by taking a guy hard from behind 2 or 3 feet from the boards.

Smarter.... let's learn from this. Not blame the Flyers or Jones or Bergeron.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 03:48 AM
Death of a Martian

Quote:
Don't get me wrong..... Downie's hit was sick and a delibrate attempt to deliver an injury.
I see that Downie is still swimming in the tears of Senators fans after all this time....

Death of a Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 05:43 AM
sickamore

Quote:

I recently saw a game where Ottawa played Florida. Foligno was laid out on a hit very similar to the hit on Bergeron. It was less blatant than Jones as the player hit Foligno far less hard but Foligno just happened to be the three feet or so from the boards that leads to horrible things. He went head first into the boards laid on the ice but got up on his own and was out for the rest of the game. Then a few minutes later Volchenkov was in the corner with a Panthers rookie (forget his name) and he hit the guy (the guy knew he was there) to finish a play but unfortunately his head went into the boards badly. He was on the ice for 2 minutes and then another 2-3 minutes to strap him on a board to take him to hospital - in the end he was fine though thankfully. Volchenkov got a 5 minute and a game (no suspension) but he was less guilty than the guy who took Foligno into the borads or Jones or Axelson. He should not have even got a penalty. And I am not just saying that as a sens fan.
Ummmmm, yeah, you are. Rediculous.

sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote