HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Igor Ulanov

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2004, 07:09 PM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
Ulanov, Cross and even Jason Smith are into the time in their careers now where injuries can take out large chunks of a season. One of the reasons Igor has looked so good imo is he hasn't been beaten up for 75 games like someone like Staios.

If they could afford to add all three to the base of Brewer, Staios, Semenov and Bergeron it would be ideal imo.

Lynch and Woywitka will get plenty of time to play in the NHL next season due to injury.

Old
03-24-2004, 07:50 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
if we're spending that much on a guy he'd better be an elite player or have the chance to be one.
Brewer may still develop into a top flight #1 dman but Smith is not and never has been. At worst Brew is a lower tier #1 dman in the NHL so the risk of signing him long-term to Niinimaa-like money is small.

Old
03-24-2004, 09:38 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
Again why pay Smith more than $3 million when you can probably get all of Staios, Cross and Ulanov for less than $4 million combined? These guys give us all we need in terms of defensive veteran dmen and use the extra dollars from Smith's contract to lock up Brew long-term. Ulanov and Cross also give us one more year to ease Semi into the top 4 and allow Lynch and Woywitka more time to mature in Toronto.
Take it to the bank that Smith will file for arbitration this year. His agent Art Breeze was on the Fan 960's "Joe and Kevin" show last fall (early summer maybe) to talk about his view of the CBA and what it's like to be an agent. His philosophy can be summed up as "players need to get what they can get while they can still get it". So, as this will be Smith's last kick at the cat under the present arbitration rules, Breeze will surely point him in that direction.

That having been said, I wonder what arbitration awards will look like this summer? Even though the current rules will still apply, the market will be deeply affected by impending CBA doom. I predict that an unprecedented number of players will not be qualified this year and that you may even see a declining price of "comparables". As such, there's a possibility that arbitration awards could start to trend downwards and drag Smith's down with it. If I was Lowe, I would be playing that angle hard while dangling the carrot of a 3 year deal for a few multiples of 100,000's below 3 mill per.

Worst case scenario and Smith goes up with his arbitration award, I would still pick him up use him as an early season rental. Lowe has always been nickle and dimed by teams that assume he has to deal someone to make budget. Whatever he believes the situation to be, Lowe should make sure that the league understands that the Oilers can afford a $3 M award and make a deal when it suits the team, not before.

Old
03-25-2004, 12:19 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest
Take it to the bank that Smith will file for arbitration this year. His agent Art Breeze was on the Fan 960's "Joe and Kevin" show last fall (early summer maybe) to talk about his view of the CBA and what it's like to be an agent. His philosophy can be summed up as "players need to get what they can get while they can still get it". So, as this will be Smith's last kick at the cat under the present arbitration rules, Breeze will surely point him in that direction.

That having been said, I wonder what arbitration awards will look like this summer? Even though the current rules will still apply, the market will be deeply affected by impending CBA doom. I predict that an unprecedented number of players will not be qualified this year and that you may even see a declining price of "comparables". As such, there's a possibility that arbitration awards could start to trend downwards and drag Smith's down with it. If I was Lowe, I would be playing that angle hard while dangling the carrot of a 3 year deal for a few multiples of 100,000's below 3 mill per.

Worst case scenario and Smith goes up with his arbitration award, I would still pick him up use him as an early season rental. Lowe has always been nickle and dimed by teams that assume he has to deal someone to make budget. Whatever he believes the situation to be, Lowe should make sure that the league understands that the Oilers can afford a $3 M award and make a deal when it suits the team, not before.
Hey HBP - good to see you around

I guess it all depends on what Smith wants, what he gets in arb, what we could get for him at the draft - depends depends depends...........

You're right though - we are under no financial pressure to deal with Smith because our financial house is in order. If the right deal comes along - you take it - otherwise you wait until it does.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:39 AM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
Hey HBP - good to see you around

I guess it all depends on what Smith wants, what he gets in arb, what we could get for him at the draft - depends depends depends...........

You're right though - we are under no financial pressure to deal with Smith because our financial house is in order. If the right deal comes along - you take it - otherwise you wait until it does.
Depends is right.

The first depends is it depends on whether Nedved can be resigned. If not, I do not like the idea of trading Smith in the draft. I would want at least a first rounder, and none of the teams that would be most likely to want Smith (i.e. a contender) seem to have any first rounders left, there having been so many trades in the last couple of months where a 1st round pick was the return for the star players being jetisoned by this year's bottom feeders. Instead I would prefer that Lowe try for an established offensive centre (assuming that a deal along those lines is out there).

Otherwise, as I said, I think the team should just grit its teeth, keep Smith, and start the season with the same top 6 defense that the Oilers are finishing 2003/04 with. Then trade him off sometime after every hotstove panel member from Strachan to Garrioch to Davidson etc. is convinced that the Oilers would never part with him. Only then would the return be likely to be any good.

Anyway, just rambling away. Still in a bit of a daze (@&#*!@ Guerin).

Old
03-25-2004, 04:37 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest
Depends is right.

The first depends is it depends on whether Nedved can be resigned. If not, I do not like the idea of trading Smith in the draft. I would want at least a first rounder, and none of the teams that would be most likely to want Smith (i.e. a contender) seem to have any first rounders left, there having been so many trades in the last couple of months where a 1st round pick was the return for the star players being jetisoned by this year's bottom feeders. Instead I would prefer that Lowe try for an established offensive centre (assuming that a deal along those lines is out there).

Otherwise, as I said, I think the team should just grit its teeth, keep Smith, and start the season with the same top 6 defense that the Oilers are finishing 2003/04 with. Then trade him off sometime after every hotstove panel member from Strachan to Garrioch to Davidson etc. is convinced that the Oilers would never part with him. Only then would the return be likely to be any good.

Anyway, just rambling away. Still in a bit of a daze (@&#*!@ Guerin).
I may be wrong - but since Washington's defense has been utterly dismantled I think they could use a guy like Smith as a leader and mentor to their young dmen. They also have a ton of picks after the fire-sale this spring. Your're right though - not many contenders have anything worthwhile left - I'm still amazed we got Gilbert for Salo from the Avs.

Old
03-26-2004, 02:31 AM
MSteudle

They(CAPS) have Witt isn't he the same type guy as Jason?

Closed Thread