HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate tightening...

Old
11-04-2007, 09:20 PM
JohnTonelliRises
Tonelli Approves↓

vCash: 500
Skate tightening...

Alright Ive been skating and playing hockey for about a year and I have trouble tying my skates laces tight sometimes.

I use a lace tightner and it works wonders and also tie my laces around the ankles(triple loop and all)

But, my main concern is maybe im not pulling the laces at the top eyelet correctly, as I see people tighten them with ease and I pull as hard as I can and they don't get tight. Are there any angles that I should be pulling at?

Any tips are appreciated, I never thought I would be having trouble with the simplest thing.

PS i have wax laces too.

Edit: I was also wondering if I was doing something wrong with the lace tightner, am I supposed to pull each individual lace with it?

Last edited by JohnTonelliRises: 11-04-2007 at 10:09 PM.
JohnTonelliRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandHockey36 View Post
Alright Ive been skating and playing hockey for about a year and I have trouble tying my skates laces tight sometimes.

I use a lace tightner and it works wonders and also tie my laces around the ankles(triple loop and all)

But, my main concern is maybe im not pulling the laces at the top eyelet correctly, as I see people tighten them with ease and I pull as hard as I can and they don't get tight. Are there any angles that I should be pulling at?

Any tips are appreciated, I never thought I would be having trouble with the simplest thing.

PS i have wax laces too.

Edit: I was also wondering if I was doing something wrong with the lace tightner, am I supposed to pull each individual lace with it?
MOST IMPORTANTLY: Setting your foot in the boot,before you begin to pull the laces tight is critical: With the skate still LOOSE,place a pad beneath the heel of your skateblade and DRIVE it down,drilling the heel of your foot secure into the heel of your boot. Then,relax your foot and keep it tilted so the toe is off the floor.
Next step: pull enough slack from the bottom set of eyelets so that you can get a good grip on the lace(s). Intertwin your fingers in each lace and then use the force of your foot pushing down to provide the tourque for tightening the laces. Make sure and focus on the center of your skate tounge;as thats where you want the "action" to happen.
Follow that technique for each set of pulls..all the way up to you top eyelets.
Ive never used a lace tightener and I don't think its neccesary. Try NOT using one,perhaps?

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 10:47 PM
JohnTonelliRises
Tonelli Approves↓

Any specific angle I should use as I pull for the final eyelet to ensure a nice tight fit?

JohnTonelliRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandHockey36 View Post
Any specific angle I should use as I pull for the final eyelet to ensure a nice tight fit?
Good question: I pull straight up along either side of my leg. I find that the top 2 eyelets determine almost ALL of the overall tightness/proper feel I am looking for. Thats the softest part of the skate boot,so thats where you can really cinch your foot tight.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 11:48 PM
Ri hards

what I find helps is looping the ends of the laces around my hands a few times and rocking my foot forwards to tighten rather than pulling up.

That is, loop the laces around your hands, plant your heel on the floor, and start pressing your toe forward while you lean back. I find it really gets the job done.

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 01:58 AM
We'reGonnaWin*

I make sure I pull OUTwards to minimize the friction fraying against the laces, and minimize friction lost.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 07:25 AM
lampliter87

Send a message via AIM to lampliter87
do some wrist curls, build up your forearms, and tie your skates tight

lampliter87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Waxed laces SHOULD hold pretty tight.

What I do is put the foot in when the boot is unlaced and pretty loose, tighten the laces 3rd from the toe, then pull the rest of the laces until there's no slack or I can JUST feel the pressure until the 2nd from the top. Then grab the laces and pull as tight as possible while pushing my heel down (so there's opposing forces), then the same for the top laces, then pull the loose ends tight and tie them. I usually have to retighten the top part after taking a few warmup laps.

That's what was recommended by Laura Stamm in the Power Skating book, and it seems to give me the most control with the least amount of pain.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 10:25 AM
sc37

vCash: 700
Don't wrap the laces around your ankles, it'll contribute to the boot breaking down or creasing there.

Also dont discount an ill-fitting boot if you don't feel they are tight enough for you.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 12:42 PM
wishman

vCash: 50
I second the part about about having an incorrect fitting boot.

I was in the same situation with some CCM tacks. I would have to buy new laces every week or so just to hold the tightness, and even then I would have to tighten in between periods. Turns out I needed a skate that was slightly smaller and something with less volume in the ankle (Bauer XXV). I no longer have to put any effort into tightening the laces, and I have a boot that has a great fit for the entire game.

wishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 03:12 PM
cabby

I use the CCM Pro Tacks which include lace locks - Simply awesome invention that all boots should have.

cabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Cujo31

Wrapping laces around ankles will decrease ankle flex. It will take some getting used to but your skating will improve with looser fitting skates....that's why i like the ccm skate lock for my sons skates. You can 'tailor' the fit while tightening, faily loose above the skate lock. Many good skaters don't even use the top eyelet.

I know how tight Paul Coffey's skates were, always exceptions that can excel outside whats best for most.

Cujo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Dawn77

I had the guys in the pro shop show me how to do my son's since he wears Bauers which don't have skate lock like my CCM's which I love. I grab the loops just past the eyelet and pull in opposite directions. One towards his knee, one towards the floor. It prevents fraying and tightens his skate nicely. As for the top two eyelets, he requires it pretty tight up there since he broke his ankle, so I just pull in the opposite directions but as he's driving his foot into the floor. Seems to work for me

Dawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo31 View Post
Wrapping laces around ankles will decrease ankle flex. It will take some getting used to but your skating will improve with looser fitting skates....that's why i like the ccm skate lock for my sons skates. You can 'tailor' the fit while tightening, faily loose above the skate lock. Many good skaters don't even use the top eyelet.

I know how tight Paul Coffey's skates were, always exceptions that can excel outside whats best for most.
I'll second that. I started out REALLY tightening my skates as much as possible (and using a deep hollow), but I got a lot of pain in my feet and my improvement stopped. Gradually went looser and looser and got shorter laces and stopped lacing the top eyelet (and went to a shallower hollow). Between that and really concentrating on my edges in practice, I've seen a lot of improvement.

I actually had my laces come untied and loosen up during a shift this past weekend and was able to skate pretty well considering. Six months ago, if my laces were the slightest bit loose, I would have fallen all over the place.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 09:49 PM
Raoul Duke*

I used to never feel comfortable in my skates, couldn't tighten enough for the life of me. Especially up high on the skate.... I'd pull so tight I don't know how many sets of laces I snapped over the years. I always need my ankles tight and secure in there, just my preference.

Then the dream answer came across to me by accident during a shinny game and nobody had sock tape (which snaps with ease). As simple and stupid as it was - electrical tape.

Now I just do the laces up to the top of my foot and use electrical tape around the rest. It doesn't give, doesn't loosen during a game....

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote