HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All-Time Draft #8, Part V

Old
11-05-2007, 07:01 AM
MXD

vCash: 500
I really wanted him at this point.
There has been lots of talk lately about bad journalism/sensationnalist journalism *hey, I live in Montreal*, so I thought having Peeters and Anderson would discourage them...

Last edited by MXD: 11-05-2007 at 07:17 AM.
MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 07:09 AM
Rick Middleton

Send a message via AIM to Rick Middleton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post
I dont feel that Brian Leetch is a better d-man then MacInnis and I dont think Pronger is in his class yet! I could had Chelios but I took the home grown talent instead Had Chelios last draft!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I don't think anybody thinks Leetch was a better D-Men that McInnis. I would take McInnis ahead of Pilote as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
I agree. I think MacInnis was a perfectly reasonable pick where he was taken. I would pick him over Horton or Pilote (Chelios is debatable), and I've got big Al rated ahead of Scott Stevens, as well.

MacInnis was consistently an elite player for a long time and owns quite possibly the greatest point shot in NHL history. Al's thunderclap slappers on the power play are a bloody nice weapon, and we all know how important special teams play is in the playoffs.

I took Leetch at 55, while MacInnis was taken at 40. I don't see why there is a fuss to discredit Leetch over MacInnis.

11-05-2007, 07:10 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Middleton View Post
I took Leetch at 55, while MacInnis was taken at 40. I don't see why there is a fuss to discredit Leetch over MacInnis.
There wasn't actually...

Old
11-05-2007, 07:22 AM
Rick Middleton

Send a message via AIM to Rick Middleton
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
There wasn't actually...
LL was trying to justify his selection of MacInnis by juxtaposing him against Leetch. I fail to see how Leetch at the end of the 2nd round is a bad pick.

Last edited by Rick Middleton: 11-05-2007 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Wrong round
Rick Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 07:24 AM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
I'm taking Chelios, Coffey, Horton, Clapper ahead of MacInnis. Still unsure about Pilote. Clearly a step ahead than Seibert, Leetch, Cleghorn, Niedermayer or Pronger. That's what I think. In my opinion, it's the worst selection of the round, but it's not a bad selection.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 07:25 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmullin View Post
Pilote was clearly the best D-man in the NHL in the 60s. Can McInnis say that about any decade? Can he even come close to saying that?
MacInnis played in a ridiculously competitive era for defencemen. Pilote was certainly never up against the likes of Bourque, Coffey, Chelios, Leetch, Lidstrom, Stevens, Murphy, etc during his prime. The 10 year span from about 1988-1997 may be the most competitive ever as far as HOF defencemen playing at their peaks.

That's no discredit to Pilote as a player, but he wouldn't have been the best of his era either if he was up against guys like Bourque and Chelios during his prime.

Last edited by arrbez: 11-05-2007 at 07:31 AM.
arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 11:05 AM
LapierreSports

Send a message via MSN to LapierreSports
Wanderers skipped pick

Last pick of the draft for me boys, going the obscure HOF'er route with Tommy Dunderdale.

Dunderdale was noted as a deft stickhandler and fast skater and turned to coaching and managing teams in Los Angeles, Edmonton, and Winnipeg when his playing days were over.

LapierreSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

If I haven't already been skipped, please skip me. I'll pick when I have more time.

Evil Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 11:44 AM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather View Post
If I haven't already been skipped, please skip me. I'll pick when I have more time.
I think your time limit is up in two hours.

MXD is up. Murphy has an outstanding pick to make up.

The last three days has really reinforced the need to have six-hour limits in the final few rounds.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 11:50 AM
EagleBelfour

MXD select goaltender Bob Froese

Old
11-05-2007, 12:12 PM
reckoning

Ottawa selects WHA scoring star Marc Tardif.

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

The New York Rangers select as an assistant coach a guy who is probably better suited to being a systems guy, an excellent X's and O's teacher who won a cup with the Avs in that capacity as well as instilling an excellent trap and transition defense all those years in Ottawa, Adams winner Ass. Coach Jacques Martin.

Old
11-05-2007, 12:17 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather View Post
The New York Rangers select as an assistant coach a guy who is probably better suited to being a systems guy, an excellent X's and O's teacher who won a cup with the Avs in that capacity as well as instilling an excellent trap and transition defense all those years in Ottawa, Adams winner Ass. Coach Jacques Martin.
That's actually a pretty good assistant coach for your team, a strategist whose teams are generally well-prepared. (Except for when they played the Toronto Maple Leafs in the playoffs). And Martin has successfully played second banana to Pat Quinn.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
That's actually a pretty good assistant coach for your team, a strategist whose teams are generally well-prepared. (Except for when they played the Toronto Maple Leafs in the playoffs). And Martin has successfully played second banana to Pat Quinn.
It works for me, and it's a no brainer between a 14th forward, 8th D, 3rd goalie, or assistant who can do all the heavy work systems wise while the head coach can run things from a morale and energy perspective. Only one of those 4 choices is going to have a lasting impact on my team.

There's really no way to get an elite winger anymore (unless someone wants to trade!) so a strong defensive coaching presence was really all I lacked that I could get.

Old
11-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Murphy

Sorry for missing my pick guys, I had a real hectic weekend and pretty much only had time to check for a message this weekend and there wasn't one!

The Edmonton Oilers select a bench boss to assist playing coach Lemaire. Fresh off his victory in the ATD #7 Minor league Championship as head coach of the Penticton Vees the Oilers tap Billy Reay to run their bench.

Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 04:20 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LapierreSports View Post
Last pick of the draft for me boys, going the obscure HOF'er route with Tommy Dunderdale.

Dunderdale was noted as a deft stickhandler and fast skater and turned to coaching and managing teams in Los Angeles, Edmonton, and Winnipeg when his playing days were over.
You forgot one thing about Dunderdale... in fact, you forgot two things.

- Triple tough
- 145 pounds.

Old
11-05-2007, 05:18 PM
BlueBleeder

I thought about taking Dunderdale a few rounds back.

BlueBleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 05:21 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
The Edmonton Oilers select a bench boss to assist playing coach Lemaire. Fresh off his victory in the ATD #7 Minor league Championship as head coach of the Penticton Vees the Oilers tap Billy Reay to run their bench.
598 wins (in Chicago alone his record is 516-335-161 record in 14 seasons), three trips to the Stanley Cup finals, and one of the most likeable coaches in hockey history

Quote:
"He was a players' coach, a class act," said Hawks assistant general manager Dale Tallon, who played four seasons under Reay early in his career. "He carried himself with such dignity and pride, it rubbed off on you.

He treated you like a man. He respected you, and you respected him. There was no yelling. He didn't say much, but when he did, it was pretty poignant. He also loved his horses, and he trained his hockey players like his horses. He didn't wear you out. He knew when to push the right buttons."

About all Reay didn't do as a coach was win the Stanley Cup. He was part of two championship teams, in 1946 and 1953, while playing for the Montreal Canadiens, but he couldn't quite get the job done as a coach.

His Hawks teams reached the finals three times. In 1971, they lost in seven games to the Canadiens, dropping the deciding game 3-2 on home ice.

Reay took the Hawks to the finals in 1973, but they again lost to Montreal, this time in six games.

"It really thrilled me to join the Blackhawks' organization and then to be lucky enough to coach the team for the number of years I did," Reay wrote. The boys who played for me were some of the greatest hockey players -- Stan Mikita, Bobby Hull, Bill Hay, Eric Nesterenko, Chico Maki, Pat Stapleton, Bill White, Tony Esposito, Glenn Hall, Dennis Hull, Pit Martin, Jimmy Pappin -- and they all were great guys. I always felt that they gave 100 percent of themselves to me and to the game. They were so proud of being Blackhawks. Wearing the Blackhawk crest really meant something to everybody who ever wore it."
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...5/ai_n12561637

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 06:21 PM
pitseleh

Alright, I think Speaker's time is now up.

The Clippers are proud to announce our final selection, D Gilles Marotte.

Nicknamed “Captain Crunch”, Marotte was a devastating hitter in his compact frame. He was also a good skater and a good puck mover, topping 20 assists six times despite playing on some very bad teams. He fits in well as a seventh defenseman, able to provide either offense or defense on the bottom pairing depending on who is out of the lineup.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 06:22 PM
EagleBelfour

With our last pick, the 670th overall, the Detroit Falcons select Lynn Patrick

Stanley Cup (1940)
Maurice Richard Trophy (1942)
First All-Star Team Left Wing (1942)
Second All-Star Team Left Wing (1943)
Lester Patrick Trophy (1989)
Inducted into the Hall of Fame (1980)

Last edited by EagleBelfour: 11-05-2007 at 06:32 PM.
Old
11-05-2007, 06:36 PM
MXD

Thanks for calling my pick EB

Nabbing a third goaltender was close to an obligation for my team, considering the question marks around Alex Connell and Vlad Dzurilla concerning the long NHL seasons. In Froese, I selected a guy that was close to being a career backup, but one who could teach things to other goaltenders - something that would benefit both Connell and Dzurilla. Froese posted one of the best seasons of the '80ies for a goaltender in 1985, and was pretty constant through his career. His 0.909 %SV in 1985 ranks amongst the best (if not THE best) for an '80 goalies, as does his career SV% of 0.890. He will especially be asked to take some load off The Fireman and Maco. Especially Maco, if he starts to lose weight.

He never had any postseason sucess (awful would be more descriptive), but is not expected to see any action in playoffs.

Old
11-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Nalyd Psycho

The Oakland Seals select D George McNamara.

A big punishing defenseman who served overseas during WW1.

More details to come.

Last edited by Nalyd Psycho: 11-05-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 08:31 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
The Oakland Seals select D George McNamara.

A big punishing defenseman who served overseas during WW1.

More details to come.
Nice choice, I've been back and forth between Marotte and McNamara for the past few days. I actually changed my mind this afternoon then changed it back before I picked.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Nice choice, I've been back and forth between Marotte and McNamara for the past few days. I actually changed my mind this afternoon then changed it back before I picked.
He was our plan B if we missed Norstrom, so we're very happy to get him as the 7th guy.

Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 08:44 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 133
Remote chance I have a trade in the works, but I'll go ahead and mercifully end this thing.

The Dallas Blackhawks are only missing two elements -- a big-time stud scorer and someone capable of playing some EHL hockey.

The ship has pretty much sailed on the former, but the latter is available. From Waldheim, Saskatchewan ...

The Hammer, Dave Schultz

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote