HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Waddell stay behind the bench?

View Poll Results: Should Don Waddell be our coach and Gm?
Yes, he's doing great things that Hartley would never try! 3 17.65%
Yes, he's doing great hold off on hiring a head coach. 4 23.53%
No, its still to early 5-3 as our coach is ok but not good enough 5 29.41%
No, PK and Power Play still sucks 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-06-2007, 01:06 AM
Thrasher King 18*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Thrasher King 18* Send a message via Yahoo to Thrasher King 18*
Should Waddell stay behind the bench?

Now do we all still hate Don Waddell?? He has done so much for this team as our interim head coach, should we even hire a new coach?

Thrasher King 18* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 04:51 AM
Safir*

He's been a good bench warmer. Waddell get's the credit from the fans and outsiders, but we don't really know, what's going on in the dressing room. After the Ottawa game, the AJC credited Brad McCrimmon with the third period turnaround and I think also with moving Hossa to Ilya's line.

I like to see the team moving a new direction with a new coach and a new GM.

Don't know, which options fits best for me. Maybe the last one.

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 06:47 AM
Tartan Jack

I have a feeling (and a few hints through player comments) that McCrimmon has his hands FAR more into the game plan than we know. He may be acting more like the head coach than Don.
At this point, I say we get a new coach soon. Through various forums, I've heard numerous names mentioned that sound like good potential guys (of course I know NOTHING of the chemistry issue).
McCrimmon (IF he was largely cuffed or over-ruled by Hartley) MIGHT be a decent choice too. The players seem to think so, but I don't know how much of the coaching he has done (under Waddel OR Hartley).

I still hold a grudge against DW for the odd trade and draft choices, letting WAY to many good players go. Just note how many of the good guys on the teams playing us are "former Thrasher . . ." More of them SHOULD still be ON the team, not playing against us. He has been here since day one, so DESERVES the blame for much of our lowly situation.

On a sentimental level and for long-term potential, a combo I would like to see are:
GM-> Pat Quinn (knows hockey, this city, and has an emotional tie to bring GOOD hockey here in Atlanta, through his time with the Flames) As GM, he SHOULD be able and have the desire to bring a Cup winning team to Atlanta and keep one here (not doing a Marlins, disolving a team after the championship).
Coach-> Cunneyworth (my friend from Buffalo praises him and what he does to raise the calibre of play for young players-> he also DREADS the thought of Buffalo losing him) From what I've heard he sounds like a good potential match for the team, able to elevate and utilize the talent on our team.

Tartan Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 08:33 AM
trekronor

I basically agree with DW that there is no hurry to get a coach and that it's smarter to wait and choose the best one possible as long as wee keep winning. I think we will know how urgent a new coach is at the end of these eight division games. If we can do a good job against these division teams, I say give the job to Beast. If we do poorly, I say install Quinn and a new coach at the same time even if it destroys the season (I am willing to sacrifice one more year and be set for next year than have DW botch Hossa and a few other issues at the trade deadline).

trekronor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 09:12 AM
ExplosiveLEAFman

What's with all the Quinn love? He's an awful GM. Could be a decent coach for a couple of years but hiring a guy just because he has roots in the city seems silly.

Waddell has done a good job as coach (that doesn't cancel out his deficiencies as GM) but the team couldn't have gotten much worse at the time he took over.

ExplosiveLEAFman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by explosivethinman View Post
What's with all the Quinn love? He's an awful GM. Could be a decent coach for a couple of years but hiring a guy just because he has roots in the city seems silly.
Good questions. Quinn hasn't had anything to do with this city for almost 30 years. Most of the people asking for him weren't even alive when he was playing here. Might as well ask for cheap real estate and non-existent traffic while you're at it. But to say this team couldn't have gotten worse is silly. Even a blind man can see the team attitude is 180 deg different. That's no accident.

Boognish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 10:00 AM
ExplosiveLEAFman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
But to say this team couldn't have gotten worse is silly. Even a blind man can see the team attitude is 180 deg different. That's no accident.
I don't think they could have gotten much worse, could have stayed stagnant. But, I wasn't trying to take anything away from the job Waddell has done. It's been 180 as you said and he deserves a ton of credit for the turnaround.

Old
11-06-2007, 10:37 AM
Tristelune

Well, you guys know that there is a special relationship between Waddel and Kovalchuk right? Whatever it is, I don't want to see that ruins. So I say keep Waddell there for now until it is prove that he can't coach.

Tristelune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Safir*

For the love of God, I don't want Pat Quinn near this team, neither as coach or worse as GM. Quinn makes Waddell look like a genius on draft day.

If, we talking about the new GM, I see at least three very good candidates:

- Blues Assistent GM: Jarmo Kekalainen (ex.Sens scout and Director of scouting in OTT and STL before becoming Ass. GM. He drafted the likes of Hossa and TJ Oshie, when nobody expected it. Oshie is the top forward prospect of the Blues. Many current Sens have been drafted under the regime of Jarmo.)

- Ducks Assistent GM's: Bob Murray or David McNab (Anaheim has superior drafts under the supervision of these guys, plus signed key FA such as Penner or McDonald.)

Coaches:
- Randy Cunneyworth get's my seal of approval (just check, how many current Sabres went throw Cunneyworth's Americans, before making it to the NHL.)

Old
11-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Tartan Jack

I said it was a SENTIMENTAL wish.
As such, it may be a BAD match for the club. He MIGHT not be able to manage the no longer existant ECHL Greenville Grrrowl.
BUT, it still, he would be quite sentimental (plus he has publically ASKED for the job, as coach though).

I'm curious WHO we will ACTUALLY be getting as GM and coach.

Last edited by Tartan Jack: 11-06-2007 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Pronoun error
Tartan Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 02:49 PM
StevenintheATL

McCrimmon is angling for a head coaching gig in the NHL. He's already with the team, he knows the team quite well, and has been acting as the head coach in terms of practices, so why not just go ahead and bump him up to head coach at least for the remainder of the year. It's going to be hard to snare a coach from another organization this time of the year and any guy who isn't under contract to an organization will need some time to get up to speed. That pretty much kills getting an NHL assistant, a minor league head coach, or an ex-coach who's doing scouting for the team they used to coach. Pat Quinn, who I was rah-rahing for early on, I'm beginning to lose the shine for. Other than DW, the man for the job is clearly Brad McCrimmon.

StevenintheATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenintheATL View Post
McCrimmon is angling for a head coaching gig in the NHL. He's already with the team, he knows the team quite well, and has been acting as the head coach in terms of practices, so why not just go ahead and bump him up to head coach at least for the remainder of the year. It's going to be hard to snare a coach from another organization this time of the year and any guy who isn't under contract to an organization will need some time to get up to speed. That pretty much kills getting an NHL assistant, a minor league head coach, or an ex-coach who's doing scouting for the team they used to coach. Pat Quinn, who I was rah-rahing for early on, I'm beginning to lose the shine for. Other than DW, the man for the job is clearly Brad McCrimmon.
I would tend to agree with this. I think DW is giving him an extended look right now. He's certainly got the haircut for it.

Boognish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by explosivethinman View Post
That's a ridiculous statement. Quinn did a great job with the early 2000's Leafs. I grew up watching the Leafs, and when Quinn took over, they became the best team that they had been since their last cup.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 05:25 PM
ExplosiveLEAFman

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S. Bach View Post
That's a ridiculous statement. Quinn did a great job with the early 2000's Leafs. I grew up watching the Leafs, and when Quinn took over, they became the best team that they had been since their last cup.
Which is why he'd be a decent coach for a couple of years.

Old
11-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S. Bach View Post
Quinn first move would be to bench Enstrom and Little or send them to the AHL, where they don't pollute his veteran team. Pat Quinn was a product on the old NHL and has no place in the changed league.

Old
11-06-2007, 06:55 PM

vCash: 522
I don't think DW should be in a hurry to find a coach at this point. Keep evaluating what he has on the ice and what kind of coaching style could benefit the team now and future. This next decision will be the make or break of his career.

#37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 08:33 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

The status quo seems fine for now. But right now if DW does decide to hire a coach, McCrimmon has to be the front runner.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 01:41 AM
LeftD
Jets/Thrashers fan

I've known Don Waddell for many years and I'm not going to say here whether he is good or bad, as a coach or GM. Aside from that, I can say from personal experience that he is a great example of what you'd call a "peoples' person." He'll treat you with the same respect, in a friendly manner, whether you're a fan, a team sponsor or a waiter in a restaurant. And he'll listen to what you have to say.

If the team responds well to him being behind the bench, it probably has something to do with -- and many fans forget this -- the players are also people.

Last edited by LeftD: 11-07-2007 at 10:19 AM.
LeftD is offline   Reply With Quote