HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexei Ponikarovsky.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-25-2004, 10:08 PM
  #26
ArtVandelei
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
Didn't people say that about Bertuzzi? Obviously Poni is no Bertuzzi, not by a long shot, but he has a lot of room to improve. Considering how much he has improved this year alone when getting regular time, imagine 3-4 years from now as a 28 year old? I'm interested to see what happens...
I wish ppl would stop comparing every big forward to Todd. For every Todd (and there's only 1 Todd) there's 100 Chad Kilgers. Todd lit it up in the minors, he had huge, huge numbers, really not comparible to what Poni put up.

ArtVandelei is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 10:12 PM
  #27
loveshack2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Old School
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 500
I dont think 25 goals is out of the question but I do think it unlikely.

I see his career potential being more along the lines of a good 3rd line winger with size, good defense, and the potential to pot 15+ goals on limited ice time. That's still a very valuable commodity. I don't think he has near the talent of Antropov but I dont think it's even in question that he outworks him nearly every night right now. You never know though, he'll only be 24 next month.

loveshack2 is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 10:18 PM
  #28
Wasp
Registered User
 
Wasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: T.O.
Country: Canada
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelei
I wish ppl would stop comparing every big forward to Todd. For every Todd (and there's only 1 Todd) there's 100 Chad Kilgers. Todd lit it up in the minors, he had huge, huge numbers, really not comparible to what Poni put up.
Most people compare big forwards to Todd not because they have similar playing skill, but because there has been a pattern of development with big forwards with Todd being the best example. For whatever reason, big power forwards take longer to develop in the NHL then smaller skill forwards. This has happened and is still happening with many big forwards today, and it did happen with Bertuzzi.

As I said, OBVIOUSLY Ponikarovsky is not a Bertuzzi and never will be. There aren't any players out there that are like Bertuzzi, although people often wish there were more. However, he seems to be developing like Todd did. That is as far as the comparison goes.

Wasp is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 10:22 PM
  #29
Jerkini
Registered User
 
Jerkini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
I said earlier in the season that he has a better upside then Antropov, virtually everyone disagreed with me with the exception of a vast minority so I'm curious if he's changed anyones minds?
I think with Poni, what you see is what you get. He isn't going to get any better.


To suggest he's going to be a 25 goal scorer in the future is almost as ridiculous as those who were saying last season Antropov was going to get 60+ points this season..

In fact, i'll go out on a limb and suggest next year (if...) he's our new whipping boy when he doesn't even come close to what you guys expect of him.

Jerkini is online now  
Old
03-25-2004, 10:24 PM
  #30
Verbal Kint*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Bunny Vatican
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn
You have 1600+ posts since December?
I have 1,700+ posts since late November

Verbal Kint* is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 10:47 PM
  #31
loveshack2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Old School
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 500
Poni is not developing like Bertuzzi, he's not going to develop like Bertuzzi and it's unfair frankly to make that comparison.

Bertuzzi was drafted in the 1st round, jumped right from the OHL to the NHL, and scored 18 goals his rookie season. He may have regressed somewhat after that (his next three years were 10, 13, and injury) but the obvious potential was always there. With Ponikarovsky it's not. He's a mid-round pick who's spent the last 3 seasons shuttling back and forth between the AHL and NHL. Before this season he had a total of 9pts at the NHL level in 43 games played. He's now in his fourth professional season and he won't finish this year with 15 *career* goals. He's finally managed to stick with the club this year and has seemingly found his niche. He's turned into a nice, serviceable, hard-working, responsible player. Let's just enjoy that and not expect him to be something he's not.

loveshack2 is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 11:02 PM
  #32
richardn
Registered User
 
richardn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,933
vCash: 500
Poni has very quetly come in and played very well this year. He has come along way in a short time. I honestly think he is ten times better then Antropov and may not have as good skill in some areas but he constantly strives for improvement and seems to learn very quick. I see him in 5 years as a 20 to 30(Max) goal scorer. Also he will be a very good defensive forward. Should be a main stay with the Leafs for many years to come. Next year I would play him with Mogiliny.

richardn is online now  
Old
03-25-2004, 11:15 PM
  #33
WFHLeafsCommish29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to WFHLeafsCommish29
A bit of a cool fact: It seems that Antro and Poni have a longer history together than most people know.

They were teammates in the 1998-1999 season with Dynamo Moscow.

Poni Bio: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...22&hubName=TOR

Antro Bio: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...ov&hubName=TOR

WFHLeafsCommish29 is offline  
Old
03-26-2004, 06:43 AM
  #34
Shawn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Under Your Skin
Posts: 672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoM
Goddamned right

You are either very dedicated or need to get out of the house.
Not sure which.

Shawn is offline  
Old
03-26-2004, 09:01 AM
  #35
Leaf Army
Registered User
 
Leaf Army's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leaf Nation
Posts: 8,418
vCash: 500
Ponikarovsky started the season pretty slowly- in part because he wasn't getting much icetime.

In his last 45 games, he has 8 goals and 24 points. Over 82 games, that puts him on pace for about 15 goals and 44 points.

Pretty good for his first season as a regular. I think he still has a lot of room to improve. For him to become a consistent 20 goal/50 point player is well within reach.

I've always love Poni because he plays a straight forward game. He doesn't do anything fancy. He forces the puck to the net and he drives to the net. And he's not afraid to try and skate right around (or through) a defender. You're not going to stop him- just ask Rafalski.

In the tight games we need more players like Poni. He can bust through tight-checking systems and create chances. The Sky Line is going to be dynamite in the playoffs.

Btw, I still think that when it's all said and done Antropov will end up being the better player- assuming he can stay healthy on a consistent basis.

Leaf Army is offline  
Old
03-26-2004, 09:46 AM
  #36
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
In his last 45 games, he has 8 goals and 24 points.
And that includes a recent 9-game pointless streak.

Poni looks like a good young forward in an organization that is starving for them. Couldn't have happened at a better time.

Volcanologist is online now  
Old
03-26-2004, 12:19 PM
  #37
BuppY
Registered User
 
BuppY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,166
vCash: 500
I see him scoring 25 goals as soon as next year.. and how could you say he can;t score 25... play him with mats and he'll have 30 ... Sundin made Hoglund score 30 what makes you think Poni can't do it with sundin but i think with a great 2nd line center he'll be a good 20 to 25 goal scorer...

BuppY is offline  
Old
03-26-2004, 12:47 PM
  #38
Red Horner*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
I love him.

He's a force.
A Mike Smith draft pick, who has been held back for two years by Quinn, it was apparent that he was ready two years ago, good thing Fergie was GM because no way Quinn protects him he would have kept Green.

For some reason Quinn couldn't see what Poni could offer, he made the same mistake with Modin.

Does anyone have any doubt if Renberg comes back for the playoffs that Kilger will be riding the pines.

Red Horner* is offline  
Old
03-26-2004, 12:53 PM
  #39
Savage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 752
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Horner
A Mike Smith draft pick, who has been held back for two years by Quinn, it was apparent that he was ready two years ago, good thing Fergie was GM because no way Quinn protects him he would have kept Green.

For some reason Quinn couldn't see what Poni could offer, he made the same mistake with Modin.

Does anyone have any doubt if Renberg comes back for the playoffs that Kilger will be riding the pines.
Red simple question, what facts or proof do you have to back up such a statement as "he was ready two years ago,"? His satistics certainly didn't prove it and anyone that saw him in the AHL saw he was not playing with same 100% effort every night.

Savage is offline  
Old
03-26-2004, 12:53 PM
  #40
Red Horner*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_Leafs_Forever
I have 1,700+ posts since late November
If you don't stop bashing my boy Pilar this might be your last ONE

Red Horner* is offline  
Old
03-26-2004, 01:19 PM
  #41
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 56,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Red simple question, what facts or proof do you have to back up such a statement as "he was ready two years ago,"? His satistics certainly didn't prove it and anyone that saw him in the AHL saw he was not playing with same 100% effort every night.
Funny think about his time in St.John's last year, no one paid him any attention as focus was on the pretty boys (Leeb - Boyes) who are still in the AHL.

Poni last year had 1 more goal, than Boyes in 2 fewer games. He tied for second in goals on the St.John's team, but he has no hands and those other boys do.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline  
Old
03-26-2004, 01:45 PM
  #42
Red Horner*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Red simple question, what facts or proof do you have to back up such a statement as "he was ready two years ago,"? His satistics certainly didn't prove it and anyone that saw him in the AHL saw he was not playing with same 100% effort every night.
If you judged a player just by stats alone, how many games would Fitzgerald play, he played in the playoffs two years ago in a checking role and was handling his own, he could skate and had the size to be effective, as for stats who the hell did he have to play with in St.John's. I don't have to look at just stats you can tell if the guy can play just by watching him, he had the size and skating ability to play in the NHL for two years, all he had to do was be allowed to play 30 games and it would have been apparent then just as it is now. Quinn had to play Valk ahead of him, and also he plays alot with Antro and he's been out much of the time over the last two years. Last year when they played with Almo they were very effective. If you looked at just stats, then Druken, Leeb, Wellwood would all be playing in Toronto.

Red Horner* is offline  
Old
03-26-2004, 05:01 PM
  #43
TrueBlue
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hamilton, home of Pa
Posts: 1,588
vCash: 500
Folks, Poni is the real deal. This guy has abilities that was not known to many except maybe Quinn.
His ability to not get injured. This is a skill that is not taught but is in-born.
He has got strength that we were not used to seeing with other wingers.
Great speed for a big guy.
Great Penalty killer.
Paid his dues in the AHL so he knows all about hard work better than most.
Never stops skating. It's when you stop moving your feet is when you become a liability. Ths guy never stops moving his feet.

Last but not least: A lot of kudos go to Joe Nieuwendyk. Even Quinn was saying on 'Pat's Perspective' about how much Joe has done for these kids. If you see Poni play, he is playing a lot like Joe. We are so lucky to have a guy like Joe.

TrueBlue is offline  
Old
03-26-2004, 05:13 PM
  #44
richardn
Registered User
 
richardn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Horner
If you judged a player just by stats alone, how many games would Fitzgerald play, he played in the playoffs two years ago in a checking role and was handling his own, he could skate and had the size to be effective, as for stats who the hell did he have to play with in St.John's. I don't have to look at just stats you can tell if the guy can play just by watching him, he had the size and skating ability to play in the NHL for two years, all he had to do was be allowed to play 30 games and it would have been apparent then just as it is now. Quinn had to play Valk ahead of him, and also he plays alot with Antro and he's been out much of the time over the last two years. Last year when they played with Almo they were very effective. If you looked at just stats, then Druken, Leeb, Wellwood would all be playing in Toronto.
Gary Valk was a very effective checking line forward, who was a very hard worker. I was very disapointed when the Leafs let him go.

richardn is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.