Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McCrimmon-> Coaching?

Old
11-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Tartan Jack

vCash: 500
McCrimmon-> Coaching?

Just how much of the actual in-game coaching is McCrimmon doing right now?
IS he the de-facto coach right now?

How much did he do UNDER Hartley, as the defense coach?

Tartan Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 08:30 AM
Boognish

Other than run the PP, I don't know if he really did much under Hartley. Word around the dumpster is that Hartley didn't have many friends in the Thrashers org and rarely spoke to anyone unless it was absolutely necessary and he didn't get along at all with Weekes or McCrimmon. I think he's running practice under Waddell and probably has a lot of input during games.

Boognish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 09:18 AM
flerd_trandle

I sat in the lower bowl last night and had a great view of the bench. It looked like McCrimmon was doing more of the coaching than Waddell.

flerd_trandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 09:28 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

The spin to get McCrimmon in the head coaching spot is in full effect.

I don't know anything about how much McCrimmon or Weeks are involved in the coaching, but with the way things are going I am all in favor of keeping things as close to the status quo as possible.

I would add this. Let's not take McCrimmon completely off the hook for how the D played under Hartley. It is hard to believe that he was not taking people aside and talking to them about their game.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 09:51 AM
Tartan Jack

Why I asked.

Under Bob, our defense STUNK.
Now, the D-coach looks like a likely head coach candidate (and may be acting like one).
That does not seem to compute in my brain.

HOW can the guy (officially) in charge of what was SO bad, now look so good.

I don't want to assume or spread false info (my presuppositions and postulations), so I asked instead of guessed.

Tartan Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 09:59 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

The D still hasn't been all that good. Still getting outshot almost every game. Now part of the change has to do with Enstrom-Havelid becoming a very solid top D line.

I was not a fan of bringing Havelid back after his rough 2nd half, but he has been terrific for the Thrashers as the team has turned it around.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Safir*

btn, can you sorely blame for the players for the bad defence? To me that's what you are saying. I'd question the players, the defense coach and the head coach as unit. Can't believe that the players are the only ones to blame.

Can you trust the man, who brought in these defenseman, to name a head coach and defense coach, who will help to improve that field? During, his entire time in Atlanta, Waddell never managed to build a good defence, despite picking numerous defenceman in the drafts. Trading away the best D prospect we've had certainly didn't help, either.

I think that the Thrashers are to forced to live with Waddell, at least till the end of the season. In the meantime, I think that McCrimmon will be named head coach. What's else can be done to help the defence? Don't you have some options in Chicago? I'm about thinking about to call up a guy like Grant Lewis (others too maybe, Valabik?.) Another option is a trade.

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 10:54 AM
kracker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Käptäin Kärppä View Post
btn, can you sorely blame for the players for the bad defence? To me that's what you are saying. I'd question the players, the defense coach and the head coach as unit. Can't believe that the players are the only ones to blame.

Can you trust the man, who brought in these defenseman, to name a head coach and defense coach, who will help to improve that field? During, his entire time in Atlanta, Waddell never managed to build a good defence, despite picking numerous defenceman in the drafts. Trading away the best D prospect we've had certainly didn't help, either.

I think that the Thrashers are to forced to live with Waddell, at least till the end of the season. In the meantime, I think that McCrimmon will be named head coach. What's else can be done to help the defence? Don't you have some options in Chicago? I'm about thinking about to call up a guy like Grant Lewis (others too maybe, Valabik?.) Another option is a trade.
I don't know about what to do specifcally about our defense. Number one is the owners need to be willing to spend more money to upgrade. Part 1-B is wise shopping with that more money.

Thrashers surrendered 10 goals at Senators and Lightnng. Except for some big goals and good play by Kovy and his helpers (and, yes, some defensive stops during the comebacks) there would be great worry in Blueland even after winning last night, which was mostly due to some good stops by Pavelec. We need more blueline help, IMO. I don't see this group improving enough on a consistent basis.

kracker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 11:20 AM
ExplosiveLEAFman

Zhitnik should get better as the season goes on. Klee has improved as of late too. I don't see bringing in another average blueliner as providing that much help.

ExplosiveLEAFman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 11:40 AM
kracker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by explosivethinman View Post
Zhitnik should get better as the season goes on. Klee has improved as of late too. I don't see bringing in another average blueliner as providing that much help.
I guess you are right. Maybe these guys will do better together as they play more, it's just that there isn't much margin for error as it is now, we lost that margin for error in the first 8 games.

Whatever it takes - better backchecking, longer forechecking shifts or both - we just have to get the SOG stats turned around or at least evened. Maybe can survive against some teams but most any good team we will be in real trouble if we get out shot 34-20 and spend more time in the box.

kracker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 09:36 PM
toph2o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Käptäin Kärppä View Post
Don't you have some options in Chicago? I'm about thinking about to call up a guy like Grant Lewis (others too maybe, Valabik?.) Another option is a trade.
Grant Lewis cracked the lineup in Chicago tonight for only the second time all season, don't think he's the answer right now. Oystrick didn't look as good in camp this year as he did last year, though he probably overachieved last year and may be back at more of his expected level. Haven't seen much of him in Chicago thus far so I can't say either way. Valabik is raw, but the role of big slow defenseman is being filled by Klee and to a lesser degree Zhitnik.

toph2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Tristelune

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker1 View Post
I guess you are right. Maybe these guys will do better together as they play more, it's just that there isn't much margin for error as it is now, we lost that margin for error in the first 8 games.

Whatever it takes - better backchecking, longer forechecking shifts or both - we just have to get the SOG stats turned around or at least evened. Maybe can survive against some teams but most any good team we will be in real trouble if we get out shot 34-20 and spend more time in the box.

Margin of error is not that bad thx to Bettman Parity Party. We're 3 points behind 8th position, not 15. That's 2 and a half game behind and well.. we havent done playing 25% of our game yet.

However, I would rather see that as an opportunity to catch up and distance ourself from the pack.

Tristelune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 12:49 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

I fail to see how hiring the defensive coach of a team that has consistently had bad defense will help us (Which is probably short-sighted, as he was a great defenseman, but he was a defenseman in the old NHL, so who knows) What I think we need is a guy that can coach the power play- if Toronto can turn Darcy Tucker into a 30-goal-scorer on the PP, SOMEBODY can make ours work really well.

This is one of those decisions that really comes down to knowing the character and abilities of people on a personal level, so looking from the outside it's nearly impossible to judge. Here's to a good decision.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 02:21 AM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph2o View Post
Grant Lewis cracked the lineup in Chicago tonight for only the second time all season, don't think he's the answer right now. Oystrick didn't look as good in camp this year as he did last year, though he probably overachieved last year and may be back at more of his expected level. Haven't seen much of him in Chicago thus far so I can't say either way. Valabik is raw, but the role of big slow defenseman is being filled by Klee and to a lesser degree Zhitnik.
As you can see, I haven't followed the Wolves that much this season, either.

Lewis looked okay in camp and I figured that it's worth to give him a shot.

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote