HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tips on being a good defensive forward

Old
11-07-2007, 08:35 PM
TheSandman

vCash: 500
Tips on being a good defensive forward

I have played mostly D for a while, and have recently played some shifts up front. I find that when I play D, my positioning is OK (can always be better), but as a forward I'm a little lost. On D, even if I do something wrong or jump out of position I can at least recognize it and learn from it, but for some reason I don't even have the same defensive awareness as a forward.

I just play for fun, in adult leagues and adult pickups - ice and roller. I've never played in a truly competetive environment (AAA, college, etc) and didn't grow up playing in serious leagues with coaches that teach these details and the finer points of the game. That being said, I take the game as a personal challenge and want to be the freaking best I can be, at both ends of the rink. This became more apparent when my team got eliminated by a goal in the last minute with yours truly trying to help maintain the tied game to go into OT. Sure I scored a sweet breakaway goal earlier, but what's the point, ya know??

So what can I do to improve my defensive zone awareness, and what should I do in general to improve my defensive game when playing forward?

TheSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 09:10 PM
sc37

vCash: 50
Hustle! But also be aware of your duties as a forward in the first place. Like if your playing wing, be sure to cover your point man. But in addition to that..be aware of what's going on around you cause if someone needs help you can jump in for a quick sec. Also keep your sticks in a passing lane and when covering someone man to man, don't let them slip by and get caught puck watching.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Sportacus
:)

vCash: 50
Hustling is probably the most important part.

11-07-2007, 11:58 PM
lotus

Have good communication with your defense. I let mine know that if I am really going all out on a back check, that when we force a turn over, they should go up and I'll hang back in their spot since I just used a good load of energy to get back. So then I play D until they drop back. (We've caught people numerous times like this, flat footed or heading in the wrong direction...it's really good for a strong counter attack).

Back checking is always good. But also in the defensive zone, have an active stick. Keep it on the ground.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 11:37 AM
TheSandman

Thanks guys. Do you think there are any additional considerations when playing roller (no offsides) vs. ice?

Old
11-08-2007, 04:09 PM
lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandman View Post
Thanks guys. Do you think there are any additional considerations when playing roller (no offsides) vs. ice?
yell hanger from the bench if there is one. Cause there are multiple per game =P.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Rapid eye movemenT
san.W.o.se sharks

Sandman, do you play at Sharks Ice SJ?

I would agree with some earlier posts - HUSTLE on the forecheck, and backcheck. Don't just let them skate in front of you without applying any pressure. Even if you have no chance of catching the player, applying pressure will force him/her to make quick decision's, hopefully resulting in a turn over.

When in the D-zone, COVER YOUR POINT. That man is more important than where the puck is, unless the puck is at your feet. If your Centering, support the D. Keep the slot clear, and if need be, help the D man in the corners fighting for the puck. Recognize whats going on and BE THERE and let him KNOW you're there, in case the puck comes free you can break it out.

I need to learn to apply all this myself, but recognition is the first step to improvement.

Rapid eye movemenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 09:28 PM
TheSandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_i_movemenT View Post
Sandman, do you play at Sharks Ice SJ?

I would agree with some earlier posts - HUSTLE on the forecheck, and backcheck. Don't just let them skate in front of you without applying any pressure. Even if you have no chance of catching the player, applying pressure will force him/her to make quick decision's, hopefully resulting in a turn over.

When in the D-zone, COVER YOUR POINT. That man is more important than where the puck is, unless the puck is at your feet. If your Centering, support the D. Keep the slot clear, and if need be, help the D man in the corners fighting for the puck. Recognize whats going on and BE THERE and let him KNOW you're there, in case the puck comes free you can break it out.

I need to learn to apply all this myself, but recognition is the first step to improvement.
Thanks for the tips. I don't usually play at Sharks Ice. I'll play pickups at Vallco and also leagues at Rollin Ice. I might try to join an ice league in the summer, but more likely it would be at Fremont where the days are more set.

Old
11-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Rapid eye movemenT
san.W.o.se sharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandman View Post
Thanks for the tips. I don't usually play at Sharks Ice. I'll play pickups at Vallco and also leagues at Rollin Ice. I might try to join an ice league in the summer, but more likely it would be at Fremont where the days are more set.
I play at Valco on Friday Mornings (like THIS morning!). Do you do that time as well? If so, WHO are you?

Rapid eye movemenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 08:26 PM
TheSandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_i_movemenT View Post
I play at Valco on Friday Mornings (like THIS morning!). Do you do that time as well? If so, WHO are you?
I sent you a PM

Old
11-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Back check, back check, back check. And the most important part, reconize WHO you are supposed to pick up on the backcheck.

Reconize when Defencemen jump into the play in the offensive zone, and compensate for them by shifting back a bit when applicable. IE, your side, and your playing near the side boards.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2007, 09:02 AM
Semper Sens

Work your tail off to get back, don't just glide back like half the forwards I've played with.

Be open for breakout passes when the pucks in your zone.

Don't pinch if you move back for a d-man who jumped into the play.

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote