HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Expos ratings on Sportsnet down 32 %

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2004, 03:47 PM
Matts

vCash: 500
Oilers Ratings On Sportsnet Down 32 %

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...NStory/Sports/

that doesn't seem sensible because interest in the Oilers seems to be a fever pitch.

But still I'll take that guy's word for it

Last edited by Matts: 03-26-2004 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Oilers Ratings On Sportsnet Down 32%
Old
03-26-2004, 04:13 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts

that doesn't seem sensible because interest in the Oilers seems to be a fever pitch.

Is the thread title supposed to read Expo's or Oilers?

Old
03-26-2004, 04:15 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts

Maybe it's because the whole Sportsnet telecast stinks. The camera's have trouble following the play, they miss scoring chances because they are focussing on a player on the bench.

I don't know a whole lot about television but I'm definately not a fan. Hey, atleast they broadcast my Oilers so who and I to complain.

Old
03-26-2004, 04:19 PM
Jim_Harnock

Sportsnet's numbers for all Canadian teams would be better if they were able to broadcast in more than the home market. Even if the there are no other NHL games one night, Sportsnet Ontario would air Xtreme Basketweaving before they'd broadcast an Oiler game.

Old
03-26-2004, 04:25 PM
thistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Harnock
Sportsnet's numbers for all Canadian teams would be better if they were able to broadcast in more than the home market. Even if the there are no other NHL games one night, Sportsnet Ontario would air Xtreme Basketweaving before they'd broadcast an Oiler game.

I agree 100%, its sooo frustrating here in Vancouver knowing that the Oilers are playing on SN West, while 5-pin Bowling is on SN Pacific.

Old
03-26-2004, 04:27 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle
I agree 100%, its sooo frustrating here in Vancouver knowing that the Oilers are playing on SN West, while 5-pin Bowling is on SN Pacific.
Sure is, I just don't understand those blackouts.......

Anyone know why Sportsnet does this???

Old
03-26-2004, 05:12 PM
Jim_Harnock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Anyone know why Sportsnet does this???
It's not just Sportsnet. Check out the ads for TSN's broadcasts -- the only national broadcasts they do are (with the rare exception) are between two American teams. Last night it was NJ vs TBY and earlier in the week it was DET vs COL. Generally, broadcasts involving Canadian teams are regional. Even when The Score manages to get an NHL game, it's usually the Leafs and usually only a regional broadcast. As far as I know, HNIC is the only program that has national broadcast rights for Canadian teams, and even then, they often do regional broadcasts anyway.

Old
03-26-2004, 05:20 PM
jadeddog

is this a choice that sportsnet makes or is it something that is "forced" on them from some contract they signed? because if its their choice to show bowling over NHL hockey, they are not so smart..... this leads me to believe they must not be allowed to show them nationally for some reason

Old
03-26-2004, 06:25 PM
Jim_Harnock

It has to do with territory. A certain portion of Ontario is considered "Leafs region," so Toronto has exclusive TV rights. Or something like that. It's kind of the same reasoning as the whole Hamilton Bulldogs/Toronto Roadrunners thing -- the Oilers owned territory rights for a specified area, which is why they were allowed to establish the Roadrunners even though the RR region actually infringes upon that of the Dogs. If any other NHL team had tried to establish the RR, they would have been denied.

Old
03-26-2004, 06:29 PM
The Rage

Wow, we used to be way ahead of Calgary in the ratings, but now we're behind them.

Old
03-26-2004, 06:29 PM
HarryStrand

Yes, TSN has paid several million dollars for Canadian National cable rights for the NHL. (Even though they don't show very many Oiler games, I still think the quality of TSN's broadcasts is head and shoulders above what we were getting when the former CTV Sportsnet had the national cable package.)

That's why you occasionally get some late starts, so that TSN can show their protected national game and the Oilers can show their regional game the same night. All things considered, I would say things are better now than they were when over-the-air channels carried Oiler games, and the schedules were always being changed for various programming reasons.

It may be inconvenient living outside of your favorite team's broadcast region, but the teams, broadcasters, and advertisers have to have some protection within their broadcast area....if you insist on living in Timbucktoo and being loyal to the Flames, Oilers, Senators, -well, that's why they invented Center Ice...

"But still I'll take that guy's word for it"...I'm a little surprised that you do, Matts, considering that you seem to have an often cynical view of the media that sometimes comes close to matching my own. I think the numbers quoted in the article, especially the Sportsnet figures, look like garbage. Those sharp increases and decreases seem distorted, and I'm suspecting some faulty data gathering and reporting is going on here.

The writer doesn't state who supplied the data to him, but I would sure have to ask him a lot of questions before accepting what he has put forth in a supposed "national" publication. I don't dispute that the Calgary Flames have reached a broader audience this year - their team is doing better, the quality and quantity of their broadcasts has improved, and the Flames as a whole have improved their marketing under Ken King compared to the Ron Bremner era. However, the Canucks increasing 21%, the Senators going up 61%, the Canadiens going up 70%, and the Oilers declining 32 % suggest very strongly to me that there is a real lack of control factors here. Garbage in, garbage out.....

Old
03-26-2004, 07:28 PM
Lowetide

Another thing might be an impending strike/lockout. The NHL will lose many, many fans when they go dark, just as baseball did when they struck in the 1994 season (with the Expos in first place, btfreakingw).

I've never returned to baseball as a fan, which doesn't affect MLB because I'm not in one of their markets.

Is it too much of a reach to expect that people are already tuning out? Especially considering the poor stretch Edmonton had mid-season?

I don't think it is.

Old
03-26-2004, 07:29 PM
Matts

Well yeah

I like to question a lot of things but Houston is as reputable as it comes regarding ratings figures.

Old
03-26-2004, 11:06 PM
oh_canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
is this a choice that sportsnet makes or is it something that is "forced" on them from some contract they signed? because if its their choice to show bowling over NHL hockey, they are not so smart..... this leads me to believe they must not be allowed to show them nationally for some reason
Its the way they protect the value of the center ice package

Closed Thread