HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why, despite Dolan, the Rangers are one of the classiest pro sports franchises

Old
11-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Why, despite Dolan, the Rangers are one of the classiest pro sports franchises

Sam wrote an article today about Matthew Van Dollen's Make-A-Wish Foundation dream, to watch a Ranger game with Messier. Check out the article and the photos, it's another reason why I love this franchise so much. I am sure other teams do similar things, but it just seems to me that the NYR do it more frequently then at least other NY teams.

Quote:
Yesterday, Matthew wasn't positive as much as he was euphoric. His wish actually began last week, when he toured the MSG Training Center in Greenburgh and met the likes of Brendan Shanahan, Henrik Lundqvist and Rangers coach Tom Renney, all of whom presented him with gifts.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Nich

the story from last years training camp still comes to mind. the kid missed all the guys getting on the bus and got no autographs....renney stopped the bus and took the kid onto the bus to get every rangers autograph.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 09:53 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

We have many many many great players and people within the organization willing to make these things happen, and yes, it is great!

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 09:55 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

It seems to me that I read more about hockey players and organizations doing things like this than any other major sport. Great to see them invovled in the lives of their fans, especially the one's that need it the most. I know the isles do the same kind of thing with cancer patients for each game.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 10:22 AM
GilliesGirlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Sam wrote an article today about Matthew Van Dollen's Make-A-Wish Foundation dream, to watch a Ranger game with Messier. Check out the article and the photos, it's another reason why I love this franchise so much. I am sure other teams do similar things, but it just seems to me that the NYR do it more frequently then at least other NY teams.

Great story.

Although, I don't agree with the last statement, all 3 local sports teams do a tremendous amount of work for the local community. The sad thing is you never hear about it, the media would rather talk about the bad things that happen in hockey.

The Isles did a pretty wonderful thing for myself last year, not on the same scale as what this story talks about but wonderful all the same.

The NHL has the best people.

Old
11-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristieLovesSBates17 View Post
Great story.

Although, I don't agree with the last statement, all 3 local sports teams do a tremendous amount of work for the local community. The sad thing is you never hear about it, the media would rather talk about the bad things that happen in hockey.

The Isles did a pretty wonderful thing for myself last year, not on the same scale as what this story talks about but wonderful all the same.

The NHL has the best people.
I did write the last line knowing that I only follow certain teams. I'm sure Newsday and the Star-Ledger write about stuff the Isles & Devils do that I don't read. I guess I don't seem to read much of these stories with the Mets & Giants. No offense meant.

Old
11-06-2007, 10:26 AM
GilliesGirlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I did write the last line knowing that I only follow certain teams. I'm sure Newsday and the Star-Ledger write about stuff the Isles & Devils do that I don't read. I guess I don't seem to read much of these stories with the Mets & Giants. No offense meant.
None taken.

That was mostly my point, the NHL as a whole does a tremendous amount of charity work, whereas the MLB,NFL and NBA don't seem to do much of anything other than the occasional monetary donation.

I'm sure teams of the other 3 leagues do stuff, but it's not on the same scale as the NHL.

GilliesGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 10:38 AM
in the hall

guys let me just say, despite all the BS you see in the news AROUND.. key word AROUND.. the teams, both the Knicks and Rangers are first class organizations through and through with respect to how they treat their fans, and how they accomodate their players. The staff does an incredible job.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 11:06 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
None taken.

That was mostly my point, the NHL as a whole does a tremendous amount of charity work, whereas the MLB,NFL and NBA don't seem to do much of anything other than the occasional monetary donation.

I'm sure teams of the other 3 leagues do stuff, but it's not on the same scale as the NHL.
Even though I'm not a basketball fan, I work for the NBA and I can tell you that they do A LOT in the way of community relations. They have an entire organization, NBA Cares, that does stuff in every NBA city as well as a lot of global initiatives in partnership with NPOs like UNICEF and Nothing But Nets.

For example, this season the Hornets are doing stuff around New Orleans every week, and every team that goes there to play will take part in at least one event as well.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 12:32 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
guys let me just say, despite all the BS you see in the news AROUND.. key word AROUND.. the teams, both the Knicks and Rangers are first class organizations through and through with respect to how they treat their fans, and how they accomodate their players. The staff does an incredible job.
Agreed. The Garden of Dreams foundation is a wonderful thing that has done many, many great things for children. And every time they show a picture of players from the Knicks or Rangers with these kids, it looks like they are just having the best time.

I was at the game last night and they showed the kid watching the game from the luxury box with Messier and the ovation was outstanding. Obviously, most of it was for Messier, but you have to imagine that is going to be one of the greatest moments - if not the greatest - of that kid's life.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Even though I'm not a basketball fan, I work for the NBA and I can tell you that they do A LOT in the way of community relations. They have an entire organization, NBA Cares, that does stuff in every NBA city as well as a lot of global initiatives in partnership with NPOs like UNICEF and Nothing But Nets.

For example, this season the Hornets are doing stuff around New Orleans every week, and every team that goes there to play will take part in at least one event as well.
Do the Knicks & Nets do a lot of this? Honestly, I hate the NBA so I'm asking from a point of ignorance.

Old
11-06-2007, 01:15 PM
GilliesGirlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post

Fair enough, I don't pay any attention to the NBA and I should have stated that before saying that they didn't do much.

Old
11-06-2007, 01:34 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Agreed. The Garden of Dreams foundation is a wonderful thing that has done many, many great things for children. And every time they show a picture of players from the Knicks or Rangers with these kids, it looks like they are just having the best time.

I was at the game last night and they showed the kid watching the game from the luxury box with Messier and the ovation was outstanding. Obviously, most of it was for Messier, but you have to imagine that is going to be one of the greatest moments - if not the greatest - of that kid's life.
I was a the game as well 2 luxury boxes over from Mess and you could see that the kid was overjoyed and Mess hung with him the whole game and gave him a huge picture of Mess from the Cup night autographed.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 01:35 PM
clmetsfan

Yeah, all teams take part in Cares events throughout the year.

And don't feel bad about now knowing it, because I didn't until I worked for them either!

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 07:41 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
My wife has opened my eyes to make a wish foundation and we have been donating and rasing awareness.

few years back my colleague's 12 year old broke down on his New Year's birth day
while skiing in Aspen with a brain tumour. he survived the surgery by miracle due to
some unbelievable work of the Grand Junction surgeons.

Back to the UK - young christopher started Chemo and it long term outlook wasn't great and treatment excruciating.

Chris loves motor racing, ralley in particular. I have organized mementoes of well wishes through friends from Alonso (before he was famous), Carlos Sainz, Gronholm etc. through the UK make a wish foundation we have managed to get him invited to visit Richard burns the Ralley World Champion. Chris was to do a ride with him.

Richard Burns on his way to the Ralley was diagnosed with Cancer and died within a year. Chris wish to Race with Richard Burns did not work out, but the race drivers
rallied around Chris and I believe he did drive with Colin McRae (who died last month in a helicopter crash) and met all the other Ralley drivers, some of who have heard of him through my other contacts.

It was a total moral boost for the parents and of course for the kid. Chris has recovered almost completely, although the illness has affected his growth considerably.

so this little story goes to tell that you all can make a huge difference and it is so rewarding to do it.
I sent this article to my Chris's dad and his comment: Wonderful - I have tears in my eyes!

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 04:54 AM
NYR Lunchbox

Quote:

They gave u a box of fish sticks?

no but seriously what did they do for u?

NYR Lunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 07:57 AM
GilliesGirlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Lunchbox View Post
They gave u a box of fish sticks?

no but seriously what did they do for u?

It was actually started by some guys on HF, including a Ranger fan (I want to thank him should he read this thread, Thank You!,although I won't post his name as I don't want to make him blush)

But, I went through a pretty rough time healthwise last year, and vented about it on our board as it was easier "talking" to people who didn't have a look of sympathy on their face all the time. Anyway, I'm a pretty big fan of Shawn Bates (duh!) and some of the guys got together and the Isles org. came up big sent me a get well card (signed by Bates) a auto'd picture. Like I said, it's not on the same scale as what the article in question was about. What it meant for me though was huge, it was a really big "pick me up" and the Isles didn't have to do it.
I don't live on Long Island anymore so I don't get to games (although I do make a trip to either Atlanta or Tampa when the Isles are in those towns) it was a pretty cool thing for the org. and Shawn to do.