Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Eastern Europe Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, Lithuania, Kazakhstan

Ukrainian prospects Thread

Old
05-02-2014, 12:32 PM
SoundAndFury

vCash: 500
Lyalka, Zakharov and Padakin definitely have AHL potential, Lyalka probably even has an NHL one and might be drafted.

However, I don't think the "current situation" will have any impact on how the NHL teams draft and Ukrainian players themselves, with Donbass in place, have the best conditions to play in Ukraine ever. Contrary to your belief, they are probably more reluctant to leave than they have ever been.

Padakin, for example, could've easily stayed in NA but was really eager to sign with Donbass and did that as soon as his season in Calgary was over.

"Here's a statistic, the average person in the world has less than 2 legs. Which is absolutely correct but somewhat misleading."
SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 01:03 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

If Donbass gets annexed that'll surely destroy the entire Ukrainian hockey program

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 09:08 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
If Donbass gets annexed that'll surely destroy the entire Ukrainian hockey program
Let's hope they don't! Donbass is out signing players, so they're still planning for the future. Recent signings of Padakin, Materukhin and bringing in Gaiduchenko are definitely positives for Ukraine. Ukrainian hockey looks like it's at least trying to do this right.

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 12:53 PM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Recent signings of Padakin, Materukhin and bringing in Gaiduchenko are definitely positives for Ukraine. Ukrainian hockey looks like it's at least trying to do this right.
I won't jump to the conclusions just yet. Gaiduchenko was signed by Donbass throughout most of the season but didn't play one game. Same story with Materukhin, they had him signed for 12/13 season but he only played 7 games averaging less than 9 minutes.

It's great they are signing Ukrainian players but they should find them some ice time, too.

SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 09:25 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
I won't jump to the conclusions just yet. Gaiduchenko was signed by Donbass throughout most of the season but didn't play one game. Same story with Materukhin, they had him signed for 12/13 season but he only played 7 games averaging less than 9 minutes.

It's great they are signing Ukrainian players but they should find them some ice time, too.
I agree. I think they signed Gaiduchenko to get a hold of him while he was available. Leighton and Laco were very clearly going to be finishing the year as the goaltending combination, but having Gaiduchenko around convinced him to finally represent the National Team and will hopefully make him want to come back next season as back up.

Materukhin had a good year with Minsk, he should see third line minutes next year. They've also re-signed Toryanik and have Blagoy, Fedotenko, Razin, Belukhin, Zhakarov and others that should be coming back next year or moving up from Juniors (like Padakin). There should be quite a few Ukrainians on the roster for next season and the off-season has only just started. We could end up seeing Varlamov, Kvitchenko, Kasyanchuk and others playing a role on this team at least part time next year as well. Some good defensemen would be nice to see, but beggers can't be choosers!

It's encouraging to see that they're assembling so many Ukrainian nationals for the team. Let's hope that they start to place them in roles where they have a real chance to make an impact and develop. Ukraine is trending in the right direction for the first time in years. This is a positive.

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Kolomoisky says Akhmetov is trying to get Donetsk back under control, and considering they're rivals that says a lot (as he could easily throw him under the bus). By consequence, I guess that means Kolesnykov feels the money will keep flowing and they'll get through this. Then again, if things fall apart they could always fold and just cancel the contracts.

Old
12-29-2015, 12:30 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Timashov is looking sexy

I realize I may need to adjust the OP and update it a touch now, lol

Old
12-30-2015, 02:09 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
Timashov is looking sexy

I realize I may need to adjust the OP and update it a touch now, lol
Yeah, a lot of time have passed since you made it. Plenty of new potential pro's have been scattered around the globe after Donbass 98 team was disbanded.