HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Zack Kassian (PBO) nails Chris DeSousa (NIAG)

Old
11-06-2007, 08:35 AM

vCash: 500
Zack Kassian (PBO) nails Chris DeSousa (NIAG)

Heres the video of Zack Kassian levelling Chris DeSousa on Sunday afternoon. The camera work leaves a bit to be desired but you get the point... Kassian got a 5 minute match penalty and Chris skated off the ice under his own power. About 30 seconds earlier Kassian had taken a run at Luca Caputi so you could say this hit was pre-meditated. There has been much discussion about this hit as it does look late and the score was 6-0 with less than 4 mins to go in the third. I also think it looks like he jumped a bit when he hit him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTLJzLlUXtk

91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Petes1

6-0, 10-0, 1-0, 4 minutes left, 60 minutes left, it's a hockey game, you play until the buzzer sounds.

As for jumping, I don't see it. Lots of players crouch down when preparing to hit, so if anything I'd say that's all it is.

Don't know why throwing a check at Caputi, means a hit on DeSousa is premeditated. I don't even see what the problem is with the hit attempt on Caputi, he had the puck, Kassian tried to hit him along the boards.

The hit is a second to a second and a half after DeSousa dumps the puck in, I thought charging was 2-3 seconds.

Petes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
I didn't see any jumping, but the hit reminded me of the SC Finals 2003 when Stevens plastered Kariya a little late.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes1 View Post
6-0, 10-0, 1-0, 4 minutes left, 60 minutes left, it's a hockey game, you play until the buzzer sounds.

As for jumping, I don't see it. Lots of players crouch down when preparing to hit, so if anything I'd say that's all it is.

Don't know why throwing a check at Caputi, means a hit on DeSousa is premeditated. I don't even see what the problem is with the hit attempt on Caputi, he had the puck, Kassian tried to hit him along the boards.

The hit is a second to a second and a half after DeSousa dumps the puck in, I thought charging was 2-3 seconds.
I never said he jumped for sure. the camera work wasnt very good and I can't remember from seeing it live. I know you have to play hard and all that but I mean is it necessary to try and take someone's head off? I'm not saying it was illegal but it was questionable. He was taking an obvious run at Caputi and when he missed he was looking for another, so in that sense it was sort of premeditated. I'm not here to start an arguement, the hit was a little late and that's all I'm going to say. DeSousa got up and skated off on his own, it's mostly his fault for having his head down anyway.

Old
11-07-2007, 03:20 AM
ktownhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Raycroft1 View Post
Heres the video of Zack Kassian levelling Chris DeSousa on Sunday afternoon. The camera work leaves a bit to be desired but you get the point... Kassian got a 5 minute match penalty and Chris skated off the ice under his own power. About 30 seconds earlier Kassian had taken a run at Luca Caputi so you could say this hit was pre-meditated. There has been much discussion about this hit as it does look late and the score was 6-0 with less than 4 mins to go in the third. I also think it looks like he jumped a bit when he hit him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTLJzLlUXtk
Ive watched both Kassian and DeSousa in their respective draft years..... I liked both players.... that being said... this camera angle on youtube that you've shown does not show the ****.. no judgement until then...

good topic though... gotta love young ohl prospects getting time on these boards...

ktownhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 06:18 AM
CGL77*

Ejection, probably... But, match? I don't know about that one.

CGL77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 07:35 AM
Brock

I thought it was a pretty dirty hit. I count 2 seconds between Desousa passing the puck and Kassian hitting him. That's a pretty late hit IMO. Not to mention that the intent to injure was clearly there with a hit to the head, in a blowout game.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 08:30 PM
theblackjeep

What that video does not show is that Kassian had only a couple shifts the first 10 minutes of the period and then the coach taps him on the back and he gets 3 or 4 shifts in the next 5 minutes. During those shifts, he challenges no less than 6 Ice Dog players to drop the gloves. I was sitting right behind the Petes bench during the game and they kept sending him out there to stir the pot. On his last shift it was inevitable he was going to 'Downey' someone. To see something like that build less than 5 feet in front of me for five minutes of the game made my stomach turn. If Downey's hit was 20 games then this is too.

theblackjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Petes1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackjeep View Post
If Downey's hit was 20 games then this is too.
Are you kidding me....

As far as his playing time increasing in the later stages, he's a rookie, the game was decided, he's going to get more playing time, welcome to every sport there is.

Petes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 07:56 AM
theblackjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes1 View Post
Are you kidding me....

As far as his playing time increasing in the later stages, he's a rookie, the game was decided, he's going to get more playing time, welcome to every sport there is.
The game was decided at 5-0 as the Petes were never in the game and he couldn't buy a shift. His playing time was increased because he challenged 3 guys to a fight in his second shift of the period which was at the 10 minute mark. Kassian was sitting on the bench less than 5 feet in front of me the whole period along with half the forwards. He starts saying "Lets go" to every Dog he skates by and then he is out every other shift. He was not out there to get more playing time, he was out there to spend 5 minutes in the box. It he had fought, he would have got an instigator and been tossed anyway. That will be in the referees report because no one wanted to fight him. No question, by his last shift he had lost control of himself. I'm all for a good hockey fight, and I have no problem with a team that is getting beat that badly trying to stir it up a bit, but after a while it looks a little Junior C. 20 games would be a minimum.

theblackjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 10:23 AM

Update: Zack Kassian has been suspended 3 games for this hit.

Old
11-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Boomhower

That video isn't very good evidence, you can't really see what contacted what as the camera shot was cutting away as contact was made. It demonstrates the timing of the hit, but not much else.

Since the evidence was lacking it sounds like the league went with the refs judgement and gave Kassian the standard match penalty. (three games)

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower View Post
That video isn't very good evidence, you can't really see what contacted what as the camera shot was cutting away as contact was made. It demonstrates the timing of the hit, but not much else.

Since the evidence was lacking it sounds like the league went with the refs judgement and gave Kassian the standard match penalty. (three games)
Apparently it was 5. That's what it says on the OHL website now...