Notices

First NHL Game - Questions

Old
11-09-2007, 01:45 PM
JDC266

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JDC266 Send a message via Yahoo to JDC266
First NHL Game - Questions

I'm planning on attending my first NHL game (Tampa Bay vs Atlanta) on Feb 9th (my 22nd birthday) and I'm trying to decide which section would be the best to sit in.

The tickets that I'm looking at are the $30 upper deck center or goal ones. So, which would y'all recommend? (Or maybe a cheaper source than stubhub where I could get closer seats? As a college student I don't have that much money to spend on the game.)

Also, does anyone know whether row A or row K is closer?

Thanks alot for the help. Any tips or hints I might need to know?

JDC266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 02:09 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

For the total experience I would get seats in the middle of the upper deck. You can really see the game unfold from there better than almost anywhere else.

If you are behind the goal, I would stay on the 316-322 side of things. You get to see the Thrashers attack twice, since they switch sides after each period. A is closer than K

One big recommendation. Get there at least an hour early: No matter where your seats are, you can go down low and watch the pregame skate. I personally do not like watching the game right on the ice, but I love watching them do the drills and have some of the knuckleheads on the team shooting pucks at your head behind the glass.

Last edited by btn: 11-09-2007 at 02:47 PM.
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 02:12 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Prepare to become a lifelong fan. NO sport is better live than Ice Hockey!

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 02:13 PM
ATLien

You'll prolly get a variety of responces because there's a lot of personal preference involved. I prefer to sit in the corner (around sec 318,319 or 322) in the zone the Thrashers attack twice, but behind the net (OYID) (sec320,321) is good as well.

If you're patient you can usually do pretty well with the scalpers outside.

A is closer than K.

ATLien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 02:30 PM
JDC266

Alright... I've actually only been watching hockey for abit over a month now, but, it's already become my favorite sport (which, as a guy from/in MS, definitely makes people go "huh?" haha).

So, how's the net? Can you usually see through it pretty decently or does it just get in you way? (I'm used to the nets at baseball so if it's like those it should be fine.) Is there usually a big crowd there? ...for some reason they don't ever seem to show too much of the crowd when I watch it on tv (thank you Direct TV).

Old
11-09-2007, 02:48 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

The net behind the goal will not affect your vision at all. In fact, you are above the net in the upper deck anyway.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 03:47 PM
trekronor

I concur with what was said above regarding the middle of the upper bowl as close to Row A as possible being the best for VIEWING the game.

That being said, many of the most hardcore Thrashers fans sit between Sections 315 and 320. Hockey fans are unlike ANY other sports fans (except maybe soccer fans in S. America and Europe) in terms of the type of experience they create, even when the House is a third empty. I would say that as much as watching the game unfold, the thing that got me into hockey was the crowd experience. Sitting in these sections is definitely worth considering.

trekronor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 03:57 PM
Acehawk74

Not a Thrasher fan, so I hope the opinion is welcome, but I would say congratulations! You truly will experience a wonderful time. Live hockey will hook you, and your first game is going to be between two teams brewing a pretty decent rivalry. Make sure you get to the game early, and go down and watch warmups downstairs. It truly enhances the experience. If you get there early enough, try to get either behind the net where the Thrashers are warming up, or possibly thier bench when they come out. When I was up for the season finale in Atlanta last year, just seeing the arena and experiencing all it had to offer made for a great experience (other than the fans saying Lightning suck" for obvious reasons ). Enjoy the experience... it will truly enhance it all.

Try to get seats near the front rows of the higher levels. If you get in the lower bowl, the back rows of those sections can be really good as well. Right on the glass is very overrated. Oh, and drink a lot of fluid. You won't have a voice the next day.

Acehawk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 11:52 PM
gamera

Send a message via ICQ to gamera Send a message via AIM to gamera Send a message via MSN to gamera Send a message via Yahoo to gamera
the upper deck on the thrashers attack twice side isn't called the "nasty nest" for nothing...

it's the best place to sit, where my season tix are (and several others on this board as well)

i like sitting behind the goal as opposed to along the side because i can see the plays coming/going down the ice better...just a person preference, i guess.

have a good time!

gamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 02:02 AM
JDC266

So, I should sit in the upper decks between 315-20. ...and, get there at least an hour early so that you can see them warmup and all. So, are there usually alot of people there that early or just the hardcore fans?

I know it's 3 months away, but, just wanna know what to look forward to.... plus, since I work part time at Wal Mart and full time college, it gives me something to look forward to when I'm dealing with another customer. haha

Also, how likely would it be that there'd be a person from the boards at that game? It'd be pretty tight to meet somebody from on here who's a fan before the game than just show up with my friends who don't even care.