HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Making your own weighted pucks?

Old
11-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Semper Sens

vCash: 500
Making your own weighted pucks?

Hey,

Lately I've been thinking about my making my own weighted pucks, for a couple reasons:

A) I'm cheap
B) My pucks always get stolen or lost at the odr

Right now I think I'll just cut a piece off the top to use like a lid then drill a hollow area into the middle which I'll fill with concrete or something. has anybody ever tried this or have any suggestions?

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 05:34 PM
MikeD

Drill two holes thru along its x and y axis. Melt lead or bismuth and pour in. You could also use bar stock or all thread from a hardware store. The larger the holes you drill the more it will be weighted. The material will cost you more than purchasing an orange puck.

use these against a goalie or in play and get caught, your likely to get a beat down. Injure a goalie with one and your likely to get arrested.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2007, 02:40 AM
lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
use these against a goalie or in play and get caught, your likely to get a beat down. Injure a goalie with one and your likely to get arrested.
the thought of someone using a weighted puck in play is seriously scary...

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Semper Sens

Trust me, I'm not going to use it in play. I only play at outdoor rinks now and if anyone gets hit with a puck, its me (I like to play d).

I just want to have my passes a little crisper this year and I remember when I was around 11 and I slapped around a soccer ball filled with sand for an hour with my friends and at my house league game that night my passes were way crisper and I could raise my slapshots half decently. Didn't require working out or anything and change was like night and day.

Old
11-11-2007, 09:17 AM
MikeD

One of the reasons that the weighted pucks are orange is to prevent mistaken use against another player. If you do modify a puck make sure it is EASY to see that it has been weighted.

drop me a PM with an address you can receive a package and I will send you a free orange puck.

Old
11-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Dakota Sioux

vCash: 250
I have a local machinist in town who is a hockey fan make them for me.Doesn't charge a dime.

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Redden Hogalot*

The weighted pucks are mostly used to strengthen your wrists. A few years ago my team used them in practice while doing drills, then take a wrist shot in an open net.

Then when we went back to the lifter pucks it was way easier to pass and receive and our shots were a bit faster and quicker.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Semper Sens

Dakota Sioux, do you know what the machinist does roughly?

Old
11-12-2007, 03:46 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc View Post
Hey,

Lately I've been thinking about my making my own weighted pucks, for a couple reasons:

A) I'm cheap
B) My pucks always get stolen or lost at the odr

Right now I think I'll just cut a piece off the top to use like a lid then drill a hollow area into the middle which I'll fill with concrete or something. has anybody ever tried this or have any suggestions?
The time and money spent making your own will end up being more then buying them outright.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2007, 06:34 PM
MikeD

I am a machinist, also. Been one since 1987.

You would just drill out two holes thru its sides, from top to bottom and side to side(+) or 4 holes at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock to the depth you want. You want to keep the puck balanced. Insert either steel, melted lead or bismuth. If using bar stock or "all thread", which is simply threaded rod, use a drill that is about 1/64th smaller than your threaded rod or bar stock. Hammer in or thread in the material.

You can not "take the top off" and put it back on.

An inglasco orange puck is 2.99 plus shipping. If you went with bar stock, brass will give you more weight by volume but its more costly. the materials will cost you about 3 bucks at the hardware store.

LINK TO KEMPS FOR THIS AND MORE TRAINING PRODUCTS: http://www.kempshockey.com/acc/game.cfm

The off ice ball and the white pucks are also great tools.

Last edited by MikeD: 11-13-2007 at 07:13 PM.